Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Has anyone used the BMWhat app for iPhone to successfully code there car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone coded out the seatbelt alarm. I assume its the coding on their website call seatbelt handover, this coding option does not come up in the list of possible codes when I do some coding.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Double post.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:27 AM
conger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using one of these successfully. I was very skeptical at first but I have experienced nothing but success. I no longer use NCS Expert.

It's worth contacting the All developer because he appears to be qute open to making this App better.

I just use a cheap eBay ELM WiFi adapter.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
I use a cheap eBay Bluetooth dongle.

Contacted the developer who sent me a link to their FAQ page. States if the coding is listed on theur web site but does not come up when coding your cars ECU does not support it.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can get into the FRM and edit light functions... most seem to work, but I suspect some don't because I don't have the hardware (obviously things like angel eyes don't since my car does not have them..)

But I added the double flash, brake force display, added lights on the welcome/unlock function (which is really handy)..

Old 02-28-2015, 05:56 AM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
I can get into the FRM and edit light functions... most seem to work, but I suspect some don't because I don't have the hardware (obviously things like angel eyes don't since my car does not have them..) But I added the double flash, brake force display, added lights on the welcome/unlock function (which is really handy)..
Which lights come on for the welcome/unlock function?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:21 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
Has anyone coded out the seatbelt alarm. I assume its the coding on their website call seatbelt handover, this coding option does not come up in the list of possible codes when I do some coding.
I am assuming you are putting something heavy on the passenger seat and your Mini starts beeping because it thinks a real person is sitting there.

I don't believe you can code out that alarm as it would be a safety violation in most countries.

Craven makes the Chimex for just this situation. WMW sells it for $20, plug it in like a seatbelt, no chime.

However, when I place something in the passenger seat I use the passenger seatbelt to help keep the something in place.

That way my food take-out does not go flying when I take the first turn.

Back on topic. My R59 is currently at the body shop (sigh) so I can't test things. The recent app release, and dropping specific Gen2 models from the website documentation gives me new hope.

If you download the free version the app will show you which codes it found and what it can change. Previously with the R59 there was just not much it could do.

In about 2 weeks I will be able see if things have changed.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
Which lights come on for the welcome/unlock function?
All the ones I want (Side markers, Turns, Running Lights, Rear Fog, Brake Lights, interior lights..) They turn on "soft" for 20 seconds (time is also code able)

I tried the "use fog lights as cornering lights".. can't tell yet if they work or not.. sort of hard to get out in front of the car when its moving.

As a side note you have to have the headlights in the "on" position or "automatic" for this to work. If you turn them fully "off" they will not light up for the welcome.

Last edited by danjreed; 02-28-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dongood
I am assuming you are putting something heavy on the passenger seat and your Mini starts beeping because it thinks a real person is sitting there.

I don't believe you can code out that alarm as it would be a safety violation in most countries.

Craven makes the Chimex for just this situation. WMW sells it for $20, plug it in like a seatbelt, no chime.

However, when I place something in the passenger seat I use the passenger seatbelt to help keep the something in place.

That way my food take-out does not go flying when I take the first turn.

Back on topic. My R59 is currently at the body shop (sigh) so I can't test things. The recent app release, and dropping specific Gen2 models from the website documentation gives me new hope.

If you download the free version the app will show you which codes it found and what it can change. Previously with the R59 there was just not much it could do.

In about 2 weeks I will be able see if things have changed.
At least in NCS Expert you can code the seatbelt chime out. I did that to my Countryman because, like scubby, I put stuff on my seat and the chime would sometimes go off because the airbag sensor thought someone was sitting there. I bought the Chimex, which was fine, but then I got into coding and found how to disable it. I still get the seatbelt light, the passenger airbag sensor is still working, it just no longer chimes at me. Yay.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:31 AM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
I emailed them about coding video in motion for cars with the OEM navigation. They said its on the list and In the works. They are looking into what cars are able to have this done.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Angib
4th Gear
On the R55/56/57, the passenger seat occupancy sensor can be coded out, because the dealer-fit JCW Recaro seats (not the short-lived factory option ones) don't have occupancy sensors.

However on the R58/59, this can't be coded, because those cars are not approved for fitting the JCW Recaros. Or at least that's what my dealer told me when I bought some JCW Recaros and tried to have them coded.

Incidentally, the extra height of the JCW Recaros in a R58/59 is a real problem, so I probably wasn't going to keep them anyway.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
All the ones I want (Side markers, Turns, Running Lights, Rear Fog, Brake Lights, interior lights..) They turn on "soft" for 20 seconds (time is also code able)

I tried the "use fog lights as cornering lights".. can't tell yet if they work or not.. sort of hard to get out in front of the car when its moving.

As a side note you have to have the headlights in the "on" position or "automatic" for this to work. If you turn them fully "off" they will not light up for the welcome.
Cool, I will give the welcome coding a go.

I tried to code the fog lights as cornering lights, but they don't work.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
Cool, I will give the welcome coding a go.

I tried to code the fog lights as cornering lights, but they don't work.
Yes, not sure about brake force either, I'll have to rig up my Go Pro and see if I can get some shots of it.. Hopefully working..

Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I bought the iViNi OBDII WifI adaptor for BMW for use with the iPhone and iPad and BMWhat on Amazon last night and because I have Prime it will be here tomorrow afternoon. I downloaded the BMWhat lite App from Apple App store to test it with before buying the whole app. It says it is compatable with the iPad but haven't been able to download to my I pad. Being older it would be nice to be able to use it on the iPad instead of the iPhone 5. This coding stuff has me intrigued. We shall see tomorrow evening.

Tom

Last edited by TBRoye; 03-02-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
So finally got around to testing the iCar 3 wifi adapter. Supposedly higher baud rate blah blah blah. Do not waste your money on this flaming pile of dog pooh. Connections are erratic and throughput is actually lower than previous VGate adapters.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
Seatbelt chime is in ABG module which was not available option in BMWHAT on my app. I did have FRM in the app but not all functions were available; could not change one touch windows ect..

I used NCS and actually preferred using NCS and felt safer. I don't trust the BMWHAT app and I know exactly what changes I am making with NCS.

Last edited by miniwpbear; 03-02-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
Anyone try this with an R59 yet?

The free version successfully connects and I can backup the current settings.

I have the manual top and according to Mini auto window up is not possible, and the window up from the key fob is what I am most interested in.
I used app on a 2015 r59 today. App worked for fog light stay on with high beam on but the features of one touch windows from switch and also key fob windows is not available on the app. I did code both of these with NCS. I also coded out seatbelt chime with NCS on the 2015 r59. 53.0.5 Datens worked.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I am having trouble or doing some thing wrong. 2011 Clubman. BMWhat full with the iVINi OBDII Wifi Adapter, using iPhone 5 and iPad. The app both the lite version and full version find the adapter other an and it cant the the ECU or check for Cods nothing compatible. Now when I firs connected every thing both with the full an lite the app found very thing like it was supposed to. What am I dong wrong? Will go out and try in later think I will shut off the blue tooth on phone and ipad maybe it is getting confused. The phone is paired to the car for using hands free phone so that may be a problem.

Tom

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TBRoye
The phone is paired to the car for using hands free phone so that may be a problem.

Tom
I had issues the first time connecting... part of my issue was just setting up the WiFi adapter.. once it was set I was good to go.

I found it was necessary to have the phone powered up in the car (with a charge cable) so it did not go to sleep - the car also has to be running.

Delete the "lite" version off the devices, turn off Bluetooth.. that helped me some.. now it connects every time..

Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Dan

Did as you suggested and it worked. Have to turn off Blue Tooth in car besides iphone or iPad. Have blue took key board on iPad. Got rid of lite and then reloaded the full version and restarted iPad. I start car before plugging in WiFI adapter and the started app and every thing seem to work have 3 ECU's that can be coded.not to learn what it all means. be for changing anything. Thanks for the help. This little car and it electronics is amazing. Now to get ahold of my Brother in Laws BMV he he he.

Tom

Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 AM
synzeus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by synzeus
There's no coding for retrofitting xenon lights in there..
I asked them for this (especially for the 25W retrofit and build date <2009) and the answer is:

unfortunately this coding is too specific for BMWhat at the moment.
As soon as we get more requests for this, we’ll start to work on it :-)

Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 AM
synzeus
2nd Gear
The BMWhat bluetooth adapter came today but no coding is available for my 11/2007 R56. So i 've ordered the BMWhat USB-OBD cable with Micro-USB OTG adapter.

A lil bit disappointed but excited at the same time..

Scratch the above. I have set it to the automatic recognition and it stated that i have a R50. So i 've put R56, 2007 and voila everything works!

Last edited by synzeus; 03-13-2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 AM
RichardF
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2013 GP2. Has anyone been able to code the foglights to be the DRL's? I can turn the headlights off and vary the brake lights that are on with the DRL.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RichardF
I have a 2013 GP2. Has anyone been able to code the foglights to be the DRL's? I can turn the headlights off and vary the brake lights that are on with the DRL.
I don't have fogs, I have the position lights. I put LED bulbs in and was able to code them to run as DRL'S

Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used this last weekend, I don't recommend turning on the setting "doors lock when key in ignition" (or something like that)

ANYtime the key is in the doors will lock. Including when you open the door, leave the car running, and shut the door. The locks immediately lock. And if you have a 2nd key and you hit unlock, they will lock half a second later, so you have to be quick opening the door.

This happened to me when stopping at the gas station to pick something up a soda. Luckily I live less than a mile away and my wife was still home. She came by and unlocked the car.

Needless to say, I changed that setting right away.

Quick Reply: Electrical Has anyone used the BMWhat app for iPhone to successfully code there car?