Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Microfiber Care Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 AM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have more or the starmit fabric? I was wondering if I could buy that in bulk and make a pillow out of it..

Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
Read somewhere that chamois are good for cleaning/buffing hardwood floors.

Maybe I will wipe down my cats with it ... I would think it would pick up some fur.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch171
I am going to continue using my chamois for now since it is basically new
I do this, too, using a synthetic chamois called The Absorber. As was discussed on NAM some time back, I use it to blot (w/o wiping) a good bit of water up before final drying with a waffleweave mf towel. This seems to work well, and I don't see why a nice, clean real chamios couldn't be used in this same way.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by gokartride
I do this, too, using a synthetic chamois called The Absorber. As was discussed on NAM some time back, I use it to blot (w/o wiping) a good bit of water up before final drying with a waffleweave mf towel. This seems to work well, and I don't see why a nice, clean real chamios couldn't be used in this same way.
I agree... as long as you're careful when using chamois (natural or synthetic) by blotting without wiping, it can be perfectly safe and is useful. We have several customers who use a chamois followed by a microfiber waffle-weave towel.

Plus, chamois can be convenient to travel with since you can just keep wringing it out. Normally, I tire quickly of the wringing, which is why I prefer using only waffle-weave microfiber at home. While traveling though, I often use the P21S synthetic chamois (which is particularly small and travels well).

Ultimately, most people find the waffle-weave to perform most effectively and is safest on the paint but chamois can be safe and effective when used carefully.

-Heather

Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I HATE it when I accidentally have my waffle weave or my monster fluffy swipe up against the ground because the plentitude of microfibers grab any bit of dirt, debris etc and then it'll take me 20 minutes to pick off each individual dirt spec by hand to avoid any grit that will cause scratching/swirling. Sometimes I will take some packaging tape to help lift off most of the debris bit I still have to pick off by hand a lot of junk...I know, just don't let the MF touch the ground, but it'll happen occasionally anyway. Cotton towels were easier to deal with....you just shake it off or throw them in the wash......any tips on how to easily remove grit from your MF's??

thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
SexualChocolate
2nd Gear
I am new to this forum and I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. My other car is a Mustang and I use to put it in car shows so I am not new to detailing my car (OCD level ). I use the ABsorber drying cloth and I haven't found any reviews on whether or not it messes up the paint. Can anyone fill me in?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I know there are a few here that use it with good results. If it's working for you and you don't see it damaging the paint (swirls, etc), then have at it!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 AM
umberto
6th Gear
so. any tips on the best way to get rid of abrasive grit if your microfiber touches your driveway and picks up a whole lot of grit?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yikes. At my house, that becomes a "wheel towel".

Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 AM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Agreed.. Or if its not to bad or crummy, an inside the house table polish/duster thingy

Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 AM
umberto
6th Gear
so you are saying with one drop, or even brief contact with driveway means everyone out there should throw out a $15 towel?.......I do meticulously pick off all grit (that I can see), but isn't there some other method that people use? Makes me think that I should go back to 100% cotton towels or diapers which release picked up grit very easily. I would love to hear other peoples comments

Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio

If it's too gritty for the paint, I would avoid using it on my wheels too. Mine are clearcoated, so I treat them like any other painted surface. Now, if I could just cut down on that brake dust!!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
so you are saying with one drop, or even brief contact with driveway means everyone out there should throw out a $15 towel?
Nope - I'm not saying that... but you said "a whole lot of grit" - which isn't a very scientific measure, but to me means it's FULL of grit... I drop towels all the time... I shake them out, and put them in the "dirty" bucket. After next wash, they're paint towels again. But when I have one that still looks nasty/gritty after the wash, it becomes a non-paint towel.

My wheels are clear-coated too... but I just don't care about swirls on the wheels... I never see 'em.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
umberto
6th Gear
I've tried washing them but then figured that any gritty particles may end up in another towel somewhere.......I'll try washing with an extra rinse cycle maybe

Old 08-27-2008, 02:26 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i rinse my MF washmitt until water is clear under cold water before i
put it in the wash along with the other MF stuff.

as far as towels, i inspect them inch by inch after the wash to make
sure nothing is on there... just pick them out if you see anything.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
BTW, when I wash mine, I do it with prewash, extra rinse, and high dirt cycle - so it takes about two hours. Basically the equivalent of washing them twice before drying...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM
B.O.B.
2nd Gear

Last edited by B.O.B.; 12-03-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:02 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
I read the washing advice, but it appears designed for conventional washers. We have an HE (low water use) washer. (It's fantastic with clothes.) Any recommended variation for HE washers?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Hmmm
3rd Gear
Why don't you recommend using bleach on MF towels?

And if anyone sees the enormous Armorall MF towel, snag it... that thing will dry an entire MINI in one fell swoop, and you won't have to wring it out once!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by Hmmm
Why don't you recommend using bleach on MF towels?
Bleach chemically "burns" the microfiber and thereby alters it a bit... decreasing it's effectiveness (especially when done repeatedly). It's surprisingly noticeable after just one or two times.

And if anyone sees the enormous Armorall MF towel, snag it... that thing will dry an entire MINI in one fell swoop, and you won't have to wring it out once!
Our Prima Waffle-Weave Drying Towel, at just 20"x40", will also dry an entire MINI (not to mention it works great with Hydro too!). No wringing necessary.

-Heather

PS- We have a "sales rep" right at Ft Carson if you ever need any supplies from us... we're in Denver and can get you what you need without having to incur shipping charges. Just contact Patty Martinez in Transportation (or contact me for her phone/email info). (and by sales rep I actually mean mom-in-law but she does a great job transporting stuff to our Ft Carson customers just the same! )

Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bratling
I read the washing advice, but it appears designed for conventional washers. We have an HE (low water use) washer. (It's fantastic with clothes.) Any recommended variation for HE washers?

Thanks!
I've got the HE LG Steam Washer. I use the Sanitary Cycle (Extra Hot Water), Water Plus, and an Extra Rinse.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Hmmm
3rd Gear
Hmmm... I might have to take you up on that offer, Heather. Do you have anything that devours cosmoline? Having the darndest (sp?) time cleaning it off above the front wheels and from beneath the rear wiper mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Hmmm... I might have to take you up on that offer, Heather. Do you have anything that devours cosmoline? Having the darndest (sp?) time cleaning it off above the front wheels and from beneath the rear wiper mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Funny you should ask... we DO have a product that does devour cosmoline but it isn't available yet. We're working on labels for it now and hope to have it available by September or so. Stay tuned...

-Heather

Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Hmmm
3rd Gear
Ugh, I am going to be at BNCOC down in Ft Huachuca for three months, starting in Sept. I am guessing the heat down in AZ will beckon more cosmoline out of the nooks and crannies of the car, so maybe I will have my wife pick some up and send it down to me.
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Funny you should ask... we DO have a product that does devour cosmoline but it isn't available yet. We're working on labels for it now and hope to have it available by September or so. Stay tuned...

-Heather
I don't need a label, and I'm more than willing to test it in the St.Louis heat/humidity Maybe a small sample at MITM

Mark

Quick Reply: Microfiber Care Tips