Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Harmon/Kardon upgraded stereo - delayed build (Dec)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Danae
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harmon/Kardon upgraded stereo - delayed build (Dec)

I had tacked this info on to the end of another thread, but on reflection I think it might be useful for wider dissemination. Please don't kill me for double-posting... just trying to be helpful!!

I just got back from the dealer about an hour ago. My MA let me see the actual service bulletins that Mini had given him on various issues -- most notably, the Harmon/Kardon stereo upgrade. The bulletin came out on August 5, so if you ordered your 2010 before that date, that would explain why your MA may not have been aware of this issue.

Here's the deal: they are having a supply issue with H/K and they don't expect to be able to start building them into the Minis until December. As a result, if your build was scheduled for, say, September, the H/K will be REMOVED FROM YOUR BUILD, the standard stereo will be added instead, and the price adjusted accordingly in order to keep your production slot. If you would rather take a later production date in order to get the H/K upgraded stereo, you need to talk to your MA.

**One caveat -- the way it's phrased in the bulletin is a bit odd, but if I'm interpreting it correctly, what few H/K's they have are getting allocated to the Limited Edition Camden's. That's the only way to get the H/K prior to December. (We can cross our fingers that it may be sooner, but that's what they're anticipating for now.)

Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Oh man! that is really useful information to the <AUG. 5th orders for '10s.
Does that mean they'll just put the regular hi-fi upgrade in the early 2010s for those who still want upgrade?

..And as for your signature, Not sure if you're leaning for an S but it would be nice

My suggestions (or must haves in my opinion) would be
make sure you got *Multifunction Steering Wheel*, there's so many buttons and ***** on the center stack that i appreciate not having to look or feel over there as much. (noob to stick shift)
*Rear Foglights* for that missing toggle! and to warn off those dreaded tailgaters. ..OH, and to use it for fog which i get like once a year.
*Xenon Headlamps* They not only help you see better (which is important), they look cleaner than the little stubby thing inside standard headlights.

That's all i can think of for now; there's other options i'd mention that i really really like, but they're not much of a necessity

Oh, and really think about the leatherette, it makes my back sweat alot.. does it not like to breathe? Maybe it's just me

Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
Oh man! that is really useful information to the <AUG. 5th orders for '10s.
Does that mean they'll just put the regular hi-fi upgrade in the early 2010s for those who still want upgrade?
I don't think so. I could be wrong about this, but IIRC from the bulletin they are swapping out early-order H/K's with the standard stereo. It was my understanding that the H/K was meant to replace the "regular hi-fi upgrade" in the lineup, rather than add a third stereo option. But please check with your MA to be sure since I could very well be wrong about that.

As far as your other suggestions, I'm in total agreement on all counts. Definitely an S, manual trans, most likely Tuscan Beige leather (it's not leatherette), Xenons, rear fogs, and, happily, MFSW is now standard on 2010s. Feel free to throw your other ideas at me too -- I might like 'em!

Hm, maybe I should update my sig...

Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Danae

You really need to poost this in the NAV and Audio section where it really belongs.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Emar
1st Gear
Does anyone know yet if the dealers will offer the ability to upgrade the current hifi system? It is ok but definately could sound better, especially the ability to handle base.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM
pureinstinct93
2nd Gear
Does anyone have any updated information on the new Harmon\Kardon upgrade to 2010 Coopers? This one upgrade is keeping me from getting my JCW!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 PM
diffuser1977
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
Does anyone have any updated information on the new Harmon\Kardon upgrade to 2010 Coopers? This one upgrade is keeping me from getting my JCW!
Yeah its been available for a few weeks now, I would get in touch with your MA right away!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:21 AM
pureinstinct93
2nd Gear
Do you mean available for order today with standard delivery time? So the December delivery time frame is no longer correct?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you mean available for order today with standard delivery time? So the December delivery time frame is no longer correct?
Yes. My MA confirmed this about a week ago (I haven't ordered yet though).

Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Yossarian
2nd Gear
Yeah it turns out December was never true. Cars being delivered now have the HK.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw the H/K as part of the Premium pkg on MINI's site. Sigh.... I too wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade my '09 HiFi Premium to the new H/K?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Yeah it turns out December was never true. Cars being delivered now have the HK.
Unfortunately, I can dispute that. I ordered my 2010 MCS in early Sept. and really wanted the HK system, but my MA told me if I wanted it, I'd have to wait for a Dec. delivery at the earliest. It's obviously changed since then, but early on, that was the case (unless my MA was just clueless).

Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
flyby
2nd Gear
Just got my car in w/o the HK. Looks like I missed it by just a few weeks as all cars ordered shortly after mine are coming in with it. MA said it could only be installed during the build so I'm out of luck. I could have reordered but didn't want to wait another six weeks. Oh-well at least I saved $500.00 bucks on the premium package.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by flyby
Just got my car in w/o the HK. Looks like I missed it by just a few weeks as all cars ordered shortly after mine are coming in with it. MA said it could only be installed during the build so I'm out of luck. I could have reordered but didn't want to wait another six weeks. Oh-well at least I saved $500.00 bucks on the premium package.
How's the standard stereo sound, out of curiosity? Am I gonna have to invest in an upgrade?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
minisasqch
1st Gear
I have the H/K in my MCS, and my car is currently crossing the pond. Should land in the US Oct 24/09, H/K installed.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by koitus
How's the standard stereo sound, out of curiosity? Am I gonna have to invest in an upgrade?

The H/K option alone is $750. You should get at least that much back!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM
flyby
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by koitus
It sounds fair, not great. It works ok for me as I don't crank the AC/DC like I use to. Listening to music and levels you can still talk is ok but you may find it weak if you like to crank it up. If I do decide to enhance it down the road I think a small amp and better speakers would do the trick. I know from the past that even poor receivers sound good with an amp and good speakers. I can't say that I'm bummed out because it was $500.00 cheaper on the premium package and tunes aren't really a big deal for me anymore. I now know what they mean when they say "If it's too loud, then your too old"

Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I got my 09 back in May so the HK wasn't even an option, but i skipped the HiFi audio. My 07 had it and i figured for $500 i could do a better DIY audio upgrade. I figure with the rear channel swap. and upgrade front speakers i can do a cheap and simply upgrade for less than $200. Adding a sub and amps i can probably stay "close" to $500.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I wonder if the HK amp can be retrofit back into older R56 with the HIFI option? I wouldn't be surprised it that is possible...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think someone said it was a Factory only option. Though a DIY H/K would be an interesting project.

-Will

Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
We'll see once the WDS gets updated and we can tell if the module uses the same wiring harness as the HIFI option. I bet it will be the same wiring. The only hitch will be how the HK amp communicates with the rest of the car compared with the HIFI amp. It may identify itself and operate as the HIFI amp making it a transparent changeover. I sort of doubt it will be a "plug and play" but I can dream can't I? :-)

Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Strobeyprobey - I am not holding my breath....

Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 AM
pureinstinct93
2nd Gear
Any further thoughts on the sound quality of the new HK Hi-Fi system?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
koitus
2nd Gear
I'd be interested where they put the extra four speakers. I wonder if there's special door and rear cabin trim to fit the extra drivers, or if they make due with the existing holes somehow. I'd love to add speakers and it seems like the locations Mini already uses would be easist.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any further thoughts on the sound quality of the new HK Hi-Fi system?
I'm disappointed, and I'm no audiophile with unrealistic expectations.

I'm mystified why a DSP amplifier, at a significant upgrade cost over the standard system, has no further tweaking options than bass/treble/fade/balance. There should be several DSP modes, the ability to disable DSP, and at the very least, a mid adjustment. Nope. The mids sound completely lacking - lots of bass/treble to your heart's content, but hollow/lacking midrange. Also, at shockingly low volume, the door panels and rear view mirror vibrate like crazy, as if the thing is running 1200 watts and cranked to 11. I chalk that up to the shoddy door panels. No vibration sounds to accompany this racket, but I fear that they will inevitably crop up over time.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Harmon/Kardon upgraded stereo - delayed build (Dec)