North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-443/)
-   -   North to Alaska - need jack (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/339711-north-to-alaska-need-jack.html)

Bald Headed Traveler 06-12-2019 07:33 AM

North to Alaska - need jack

Headed to Alaska and do not want to trust my fortune entirely to run flats. Gonna get a spare and jack. My dealership does not list a jack for the 2019 since it uses run flats. Found a used jack on eBay part number 71121501930 for a 02 to 08 Minicooper. Anyone know if they changed the jack of if an older jack for a R 50, 52, 53 will fit a new 2019 F57 Cooper S convertible? Suggestions for a spare?

TVPostSound 06-12-2019 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Headed Traveler (Post 4475505)
Headed to Alaska and do not want to trust my fortune entirely to run flats. Gonna get a spare and jack. My dealership does not list a jack for the 2019 since it uses run flats. Found a used jack on eBay part number 71121501930 for a 02 to 08 Minicooper. Anyone know if they changed the jack of if an older jack for a R 50, 52, 53 will fit a new 2019 F57 Cooper S convertible? Suggestions for a spare?

Yes, that number will work!! Have it for my F56

https://www.detroittuned.com/mini-co...re-tire-5-lug/
Really good price.
Remember MINI spare won't fit front, if you get a front flat, move rear to front, put spare on rear.

RockC 06-12-2019 12:15 PM

Years ago when I looked into driving north through Canada then into Alaska and continuing north as far as I could go -- first thinking of taking my Boxster then decided to take my VW Golf TDI, the advice I got was: 1) Don't; 2) Take spares of everything. For the VW this included a fuel filter, air filter, a fuel pump, I think two full size spares recommended -- due to the roads tire punctures/sidewall blowouts are common -- and some other things.

(MIght mention in driving my TDi 150K miles the fuel pump was fine but the engine shed a V-belt due to a failed alternator pulley and I had to have the V-belt and alternator replaced. While I'm sure a spare V-belt and idler/tensioner rollers were recommended not sure a replacement alternator was recommended as a spare.)

Also, I decided to use the Golf with the TDi engine because of the supply of fuel can be spotty the advice was to carry one and two was better 5 gallon cans of fuel. The TDI engine could get 40mpg or better (way better if driving in high miler mode) and 10 gallons gave me around 400 miles of extra range. I really couldn't carry two 5 gallon cans of gasoline in the Boxster.

Both summer and winter drives are bad. If one goes in the summer the unpaved roads and traffic -- mostly large trucks -- will pelt a car with gravel/rocks. Budget for a new windshield (and possibly even a new paint job) when one gets back to the lower 48...

There are a number of water crossings which larger vehicles manage with some ease but a smaller vehicle might get washed down stream or have to wait for the water level to drop.

Summer also has mosquitoes. These can be so bad to get caught out that people have resorted to submerging themselves in stream or lake water to keep the bugs from eating one alive.

At all times there is the risk of bears. IIRC a suitable hand gun was recommended for just in case. A hungry bear can smash a car side window to get at the tasty bits inside...

If one goes in the winter there is the cold and exposure is a very real risk. One must be prepared to be able to stay with the car and stay warm until help can arrive. If you have an accident and go off the road you may not be found until summer when the buzzards lead the searchers to your remains. If you are lucky. If not it might be years before a hunter stumbles upon your remains.

SkyJumpr16 07-03-2019 12:06 PM

Woah