North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-443/)
-   -   Swapping out ‘Run Flats’ (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/331522-swapping-out-erun-flatsi.html)

harley0711 09-11-2018 04:20 PM

Swapping out ‘Run Flats’

Placing an order (tomorrow?) on a 2019 Base Cooper / Signature group / 16” wheels, No spare

called local American Tire /// have been good in the past.. for ME , recommended Michelin Defender T+H in 205/55R16??
I am past the days of hard racing and more interested in quite nice tires

I currently have a 2007 Cooper (non S) 11 years. Love the car but time for a new one

NO Spare??!

On the base cooper / Signature / is there a place for a spare??

any thoughts

Minnie.the.Moocher 09-11-2018 08:50 PM

I have an F56S, no spare also a base F55 with a factory spare.

I believe the base F56 has this https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=71_0803 although never seen one in person.

Anonymouse 09-20-2018 01:56 AM

Because the exhaust is routed through the center of the car, the S and JCW do not have space for a spare. The driver side mounted exhaust in the base allows for one

Evlkarl 09-20-2018 06:21 AM

Have you ask the Dealer if they would swap the RF out for a regular Tire when the car comes in? My Dealer was nice enough to do it for me and did not even charge me for the swap. I run the Yokoha S Drive on my last 3 Mini,s and love them and at $89.00 a tire ( I bought mine at Discount Tire) it is a bargain. Since you are in Cali the S Drive might work fine for you as long as you do not go snow boarding with your Mini.:lol:

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?as...kohama+s+drive

Medarlin 09-20-2018 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Evlkarl (Post 4421662)
I run the Yokohama S Drive on my last 3 Mini,s and love them and at $89.00 a tire ( I bought mine at Discount Tire) it is a bargain. Since you are in Cali the S Drive might work fine for you as long as you do not go snow boarding with your Mini.:lol:

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?as...kohama+s+drive

I too ditched the OEM Pirelli runflats on my '14 S for S.Drives, 215-45R17.
At first was loved the much smoother ride from the softer sidewalls, but now my rear tires are howling horribly from the inner shoulders being irregularly worn - sawtoothed.
Doesn't sound like that has been your experience Evlkarl?

Sorry don't mean to side track the OP's discussion.

Evlkarl 09-20-2018 07:45 AM

Medarlin, I had really good luck with the S Drives I check the pressure 2x a month and rotated the last set every 6 month. I found that the RR showed a little more wear on the inside than the rest but that was about it. I got almost 16K out of them tires I had no problems with road noise. I am a bit rough on tires anyway because of the heat here and my driving.:grin:

Medarlin 09-20-2018 07:50 AM

Yeah I suspect the excessive shoulder wear was from not rotating them enough.
My daughter actually had the car with her at school for a year.
I'm at 60k now on the odo, I'll have to check my records for what it was when I put them on.
I think I'll suffer through the Fall until I put the Blizzaks on for the winter, then do something new in the Spring.

F56mini 10-22-2018 08:22 AM

Has anyone found a difference between run flat options in ride and noise among the different manufacturers? I am not looking for all out performance and like the runflat option for the pot hole urban environment I spend 99% of my time in but some better riding run flats or quieter over the stock Pirellis would not be bad if such a thing existed.

dpcompt 10-25-2018 07:19 PM

Bridgstones

Originally Posted by F56mini (Post 4427694)
Has anyone found a difference between run flat options in ride and noise among the different manufacturers? I am not looking for all out performance and like the runflat option for the pot hole urban environment I spend 99% of my time in but some better riding run flats or quieter over the stock Pirellis would not be bad if such a thing existed.

Bridgestone has an All-season runlet that rides great and is very quiet. On my '15s , 17" wheels with Hankooks, I replaced the Hankooks at 30,000 miles with the Bridgestones and the new tires were better in every way. Also, It's really important to rotate tires on a MINI. Front to back, and alternate the fronts. If you don't rotate the tires on a regular basis ( 5000 miles), the rears will cup on the inside and be horribly noisy when moved to the front.

dpcompt 10-25-2018 07:40 PM

Bridgstones

Originally Posted by F56mini (Post 4427694)

Bridgestone has an All-season runflat that rides great and is very quiet. On my '15s , 17" wheels with Hankooks, I replaced the Hankooks at 30,000 miles with the Bridgestones and the new tires were better in every way. Also, It's really important to rotate tires on a MINI. Front to back, and alternate the fronts. If you don't rotate the tires on a regular basis ( 5000 miles), the rears will cup on the inside and be horribly noisy when moved to the front.

Medarlin 10-26-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by dpcompt (Post 4428514)
Also, It's really important to rotate tires on a MINI. Front to back, and alternate the fronts. If you don't rotate the tires on a regular basis ( 5000 miles), the rears will cup on the inside and be horribly noisy when moved to the front.

+1 on that ^.
I found out the hard way with the Yokohama S.Drives on my car. Daughter had it for a bit over 12K while at school and never got the tires rotated. As I mentioned a few posts back, they are horribly noisy now.