Vendor Group Buys Group Buys from the Sponsors of North American Motoring.

Helix FMIC Presale/Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any install problems on the r56

Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
I have an r55 but that shouldn't make a difference. The only problems I had were the typical plastic pop rivets getting chewed up by pliers because they don't want to come out and it was kind of hard to get through the wheel well liner since I wasn't able to jack up the car. The splashguard on the passenger side had one of the clips come off and it was kind of a pain fitting it back on, once again because the car was on the ground. Pretty much all of it was because I didn't jack up the car. :P

Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
For everyone that it interested we are starting another group buy very soon. I will make a new thread and start the process again. Thanks for everyone who joined this group buy, I hope you are all happy with your intercoolers! Please post up pictures and comments on our facebook page!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helix-...20990947914945

Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Great, I need another one

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 AM
broham71
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@Helix
For everyone that it interested we are starting another group buy very soon. I will make a new thread and start the process again. Thanks for everyone who joined this group buy, I hope you are all happy with your intercoolers! Please post up pictures and comments on our facebook page!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helix-...20990947914945
Will the pricing curve and deposit remain the same?
I definitely need one for my 09 JCW! :-)

Old 11-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@Helix

I finally got my intercooler today. Thank you!

The box is so BIG but the intercooler is so small. Can't wait to install it next week. I have a couple of question about install. You guys have a official video on your website for the stock MCS 07+ bumper. I have the JCW Areo Kit and I was wondering if the install is exactly the same? Same screw location, same wires for fog lights etc ....

Thanks

P.S. Love the candy!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I just recieved my intercooler today i was wondering if yall have written instructions?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Watch the video and take notes. There is really nothing to it. Just take care not to pull the fender plastic piece out too far when removing the bumper screws. I snapped one of the plastic retainer. I took my lap top out to the garage to check the video while I did the install, but found I really didn't need it.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
@Helix

I finally got my intercooler today. Thank you!

The box is so BIG but the intercooler is so small. Can't wait to install it next week. I have a couple of question about install. You guys have a official video on your website for the stock MCS 07+ bumper. I have the JCW Areo Kit and I was wondering if the install is exactly the same? Same screw location, same wires for fog lights etc ....

Thanks

P.S. Love the candy!

I've installed the helix intercooler on an o8 mcs, removed the stock bumper, added the jcw aero kit at a later date and had no issues whatsoever.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
dez
4th Gear
Ninja finally got his intercooler installd... I had to get it painted black first... pretty stoked how it turned out almost didn't want to have to cover it up

IMG_1234.jpg
ninja_intercooler_install_ramps2.jpg

Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Dez how much of a pain was it to do all of the stuff under the wheel arch with your car Being on ramps?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dez
Ninja finally got his intercooler installd... I had to get it painted black first... pretty stoked how it turned out almost didn't want to have to cover it up

Loving the black IC. SICK!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dez

What kind of paint did you use? It looks good and probably helps shed heat too!!!

Last edited by SMOG; 11-09-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
Dez how much of a pain was it to do all of the stuff under the wheel arch with your car Being on ramps?
Achilles it was kinda a pain but not that bad. The hardest part was the machine nuts on the side marker. Just didn't have very much room to work in there. The power ratchet they used in the video would have been nice and way easier.

A note to you and any other 2011 owners... be careful with the brake ducts, they aren't in the Helix how too and i broke a small piece when removing the bumper.

Originally Posted by MiniBOL
Loving the black IC. SICK!
Thanks MiniBOL you gotta get one

Originally Posted by SMOG
What kind of paint did you use? It looks good and probably helps shed heat too!!!
Yep I got it coated with heat dispersant paint. Not sure the brand, there is a place near me that specializes in painting engine parts etc... They did a great job.

Now I need to get out and DRIVE. Too bad its one of the 3 rainy days a year in SoCal today...

Last edited by dez; 11-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Thanks DEZ! Will search for heat dispersant paint.

Good tip on the brake ducts.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I've Googled heat dispersant coatings, but I can't fined anything about the physics of those coatings. It's just that aluminum is one of the best conductors of heat, what could they possibly put on it to improve its conductivity? Most coatings would retard heat transfer.

My mind is open about this, but I''l need a bit more convincing. How does it work?

Dave

Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I've Googled heat dispersant coatings, but I can't fined anything about the physics of those coatings. It's just that aluminum is one of the best conductors of heat, what could they possibly put on it to improve its conductivity? Most coatings would retard heat transfer.

My mind is open about this, but I''l need a bit more convincing. How does it work?

Dave
Dave:

Drag racers, road racers learned in the 50s/60's that heat is reflected by white/silver colors and heat is absorbed by black/dark colors. Touch a black car on a hot day then go touch a white one; which one is giving you a burned hand/finger? I remember Carroll Shelby writing something about it in the 60's.

Motorcycle air cooled engines use black on the cylinder fins and I don't think it is for looks. A designer of cosmetics would like the bike body panels and engine to match.

White works well at keeping a car cool from outside heat and warm when a heater is trying to heat the interior because the paint is white on both sides and reflects heat back into the car if the heat is generated there.

A good experiment is to lay a white something in a window sill and a black something next to it and see which one gets hotter.

Solar water panels use black coatings because they absorb heat from the sun so readily and transfer it to the copper or Alu panels in which the coolant is circulating.

Stephen

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Stephen,

Yes, I understand that dark colors get warmer and light colors stay cooler, but that is because light colors reflect radiated infra red light and dark colors absorb it. Heat exchangers work by conduction and forced convection.

I used to build heat exchangers and one thing we never did was paint the heat exchange surfaces, because any coatings we had at that time would slow the conduction of heat, even a thin coat of paint can act as an insulator and reduce the efficiency of a heat exchanger.

As I understand it, heat dispersant coatings are not paint, they need specialized equipment to apply, is it like powder coating? What is it made of?

Heat dispersant coatings are something relatively new, we didn't have them when I was making heat exchangers. I'd really like to know more about them.

Dave

Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Good info Dave!

Maybe DEZ would find out more about that "Heat dispersant paint" and the type of shop that painted it????

Stephen

Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dez
Achilles it was kinda a pain but not that bad. The hardest part was the machine nuts on the side marker. Just didn't have very much room to work in there. The power ratchet they used in the video would have been nice and way easier.

Yeah that's where I had to call it a day.. I kept cutting my hand up on those wheel arc covers when I was trying to remove that pain in the *** side marker ugggh

Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
Yeah that's where I had to call it a day.. I kept cutting my hand up on those wheel arc covers when I was trying to remove that pain in the *** side marker ugggh
Yeah Achillies, it looks like I have been high 5'ing Edward Scissor Hands all night... my hands are pretty beat up.

As far as the coating... I really just wanted it black so it didn't show thru the lower grill... the added heat reduction benefit was just an added bonus.

I got a TLTD coating... here is some info I found online.
The TLTD (Tech Line Thermal Dispersant) coating was formulated to increase the rate of heat rejection from materials by up to 20%. As such it has a wide variety of uses including heat exchangers, radiators, coolers, brakes, enclosures for electrical equipment, gearbox and other transmission casings. It cures to a pleasing semi-gloss black finish and is highly resistant to many fluids. It prevents oxidation of aluminium surfaces and is easy to keep clean.
here is the link

Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 PM
broham71
2nd Gear
OK, just got done putting in the Helix IC and I'm so glad I did! The stock IC was bent (slightly twisted) and looked like it fell off and was run over at some time. Holy cow!
Anyway, this piece is gorgeous! I can hardly wait for the weather to warm up so I can rip it through Ortega Hwy.
Now to rest my cheese-grated fingers... :-)

Old 11-06-2011, 04:38 PM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by broham71
OK, just got done putting in the Helix IC and I'm so glad I did! The stock IC was bent (slightly twisted) and looked like it fell off and was run over at some time. Holy cow!
Anyway, this piece is gorgeous! I can hardly wait for the weather to warm up so I can rip it through Ortega Hwy.
Now to rest my cheese-grated fingers... :-)
woah thats crazy the stock IC was that damaged

glad to know I'm not alone with the "cheese-grated" fingers.. i was even wearing gloves... most of the time

Old 11-06-2011, 04:50 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dez
woah thats crazy the stock IC was that damaged

glad to know I'm not alone with the "cheese-grated" fingers.. i was even wearing gloves... most of the time
Thanks for the Link DEZ!! I will keep the cheese grater effect in mind when I attempt my install.

broham71: That is the highway to rip it up on for sure . Before CalTans straightened Laguna Canyon Rd. it too was pretty fun, back in the 60's

Stephen

Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Yeah for some reson my sides markers would not come of no matter how much i spin those bolts

Quick Reply: Helix FMIC Presale/Group Buy