Vendor Group Buys Group Buys from the Sponsors of North American Motoring.

SUNROOF SHADE for Mini Cooper and Clubman by ZippeeShade.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xntrickly
My logo is a very subtle gray and you can not see it when you pull the mesh slide over.
Exactly. We the mesh slide closed, I can barely see the logo, and I spend very little time staring up looking for it.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, I know. I just have a problem with buying certain things with logo's that are basically advertisement, and car stuff is definitely one of them.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Just ordered mine! For $40 seems like a fair deal for the times I will need it.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
MikeNSX
1st Gear
Thinking about ordering a set for the '08 S I just bought.

Does anyone have a picture of the top of the car (with a black top) from the outside with these installed. All I can find are inside view pictures. I am wondering how the reflective side might look with a black top.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Got mine in the post today. Not overly impressed for the price to be honest (even with the discount). A little annoyed as I ironed them like the instructions said, and it messed up the logo slightly (even though I only ironed on the silver side). I guess it was the condensation or something. Not that I really care as it's just a logo, but still wish I hadn't ironed it. I would suggest just letting the sun 'naturally' iron out the wrinkles.

I found the installation a pain, especially the rear one. They are both exactly the same size and I don't know if one is supposed to be specifically for the front and one specifically for the rear - they were not labeled. I guess MINI changed the size of the sunroof panels at some point as the picture on the instructions shows the front panel is much bigger than the rear.

They seem to fit OK I guess, but the mesh slider kept getting stuck on the extra material and had to keep readjusting it, so not sure if I'm putting them in wrong or not, but it was frustrating. Also, the suction cups hold so tight I can't figure out how to remove them other than bending the shade and 'digging' a nail into the suction cup to get if off the glass! I initially tried pulling on the little handle things on the suckers back end, but it felt like the glass was going to break! Am I missing something!?!?

Glad I only need to use them a few months out of the year as it could get really annoying putting them on and taking them off all the time...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM
jacobjr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MikeNSX
Thinking about ordering a set for the '08 S I just bought.

Does anyone have a picture of the top of the car (with a black top) from the outside with these installed. All I can find are inside view pictures. I am wondering how the reflective side might look with a black top.
Mike, not the best pictures in the world (taken with my cellphone) but good enough to validate my statement that the silver side of the shades are all but invisible from the top/outside of the sunroof with just the factory tinting. My top isn't black, but eclipse gray which is darn near black. These pics were taken in bright sunshine this morning. Hope this helps in your decision.

Pete

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Eclipse11S
3rd Gear
To each there own but I'm not liking this. Looks like a hassle to put on and off.
Just read a couple of Post and something with having to iron it, argh.

I just went back to read a little more, so you don't have to remove and put on everytime but for me who loves to use tilt and open the sunroof all the time, this would be a hassle.
Why not just put a quality tint to block the heat?

Last edited by Eclipse11S; 08-28-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eclipse11S
To each there own but I'm not liking this. Looks like a hassle to put on and off.

I just went back to read a little more, so you don't have to remove and put on everytime but for me who loves to use tilt and open the sunroof all the time, this would be a hassle.
I love sunroofs on cars. Every car I own has to have one. However this ridiculous mesh shade on our MINIs does nothing to keep the sun and heat out. I live in NY not Miami or Phoenix. It must be worse there.

I have had my sunroof tinted for over 2 years now and its not enough. I decided to get these Zippy shades (with the discounted group buy pricing) when I ran across this thread again the other day.

I always have my sunroof opened or tilted so we will see if this is a good solution for me or a hassle.

I will post an update when I get them in my car.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
AXO
5th Gear
I am about to pull the trigger on a set of these. Is there a special part # for the small Zippee font silk screened onto the shades?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Eclipse11S
3rd Gear
@OneFish2. I always say it's not how dark your tint is but the quality.
Not saying yours is cheap so don't get me wrong.
I've been using Llumar pinnacle series tint on my cars since it's been introduced and not to long ago I was in 100-105f degree weather in the mini and I couldn't feel the heat coming through the roof.
It's only 35% tint and does an amazing job of blocking heat.
I'm near San Francisco and I understand that we don't get close to being Hot here.

I think it would be a real hassle if you always use the sunroof Or tilt.
I would go darker on a quality tint for your situation and if that's not enough, I'll put another tint on top of that. LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM
jacobjr
2nd Gear

Having had mine on the car now for at least a couple of months I still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread for the money. Sure, a quality tint would work very well, but can you get that done for ~$40? Nope. Not that I'm not willing to spend the money, but why if it isn't necessary?

Did I iron mine as suggested? Nope. When they arrived they weren't so wrinkled that I thought it was necessary. I figured the heat would cause them to smooth out all by themselves, and I was spot on. They are now completely smooth sans ironing.

As I too live here in California, we both well know the weather is conducive to having the sunroof open most of the time. Probably 95% of the time mine are either tilted up or the thing is wide open. I don't take the shades off for either. No additional "flapping" noises and haven't lost one yet, even driving on the freeway (at higher than allowed freeway speeds). When they are closed I want them 100% closed and blocking ALL light. I bought them in the first few weeks I had the car because it just got to too damn hot when parked, even with the mesh. I still don't understand why they didn't provide some way to completely close them off on the car, seems like a pretty major oversight.

LOL, you may think I have some affiliation with ZippeeShades the way I keep pushing them, but that isn't the case. I just believe that you get what you pay for, and for a mere $40, I think I did.

Last edited by jacobjr; 08-28-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Eclipse11S
3rd Gear
San Jose Heat and SF is a big difference in weather.

The mesh only idea is kinda stupid by Mini but now that i have it tinted, I like being able to still see through it and my daughter enjoys it also sitting in back.

If I wanted it all dark, I would have saved the $ and not get the sunroof.
What would be the point of opening the roof and having the shade still there?

Last edited by Eclipse11S; 08-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM
jacobjr
2nd Gear
What would be the point of opening the roof and having the shade still there?
Am I missing something? If the sunroof is open the shade ISN'T there, it opened WITH the sunroof since it's attached TO the sunroof. With the sunroof open you'd never know there was a shade.

Now your daughter wanting to look up and out from the back, that WOULD be a problem with the shade. No one typically sits in the back seat of my car, so a non-issue for me.

As you said, to each his own...

Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
My experience is that the Zippee has to be removed before opening the sunroof. If you don't the wind will tear it to pieces quickly. I leave my rear shad in place all the time, but the front one comes off and on as I need to open the roof. I have left the front in place a few times when I tilted the roof up for ventilation, but it gets badly buffeted, and I think on the highway it would bloww off. If I remember, I think the instruction sheet that Zippee sends warns against opening the roof with the shade in place,

Mine are going on two years old, and I still love having them.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM
MikeNSX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jacobjr
Mike, not the best pictures in the world (taken with my cellphone) but good enough to validate my statement that the silver side of the shades are all but invisible from the top/outside of the sunroof with just the factory tinting. My top isn't black, but eclipse gray which is darn near black. These pics were taken in bright sunshine this morning. Hope this helps in your decision.

Pete
Pete,

Thanks for taking the pictures. Looks nice to me, so I'll be ordering a set tomorrow.

Mike

Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Got mine yesterday. Not very impressed with the fit at all, but they do keep the car cool. I'll let the sun iron them out a bit more and refit them, but it looks like there will be light cracks no matter how well i put them on.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Yyrd
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
group buy? im confused!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
lacarguy
Neutral
How to partake?

I'm a newbie and a bit confused. tried to order a Zippeeshade with the Group Buy, but I had to register first. When I try to register, I get linked to another page for Recaptcha registration? Why is it so complicated to make a simple order of a group buy product? How do I register for the group buy(s)?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
ZippeeGear
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by lacarguy
I'm a newbie and a bit confused. tried to order a Zippeeshade with the Group Buy, but I had to register first. When I try to register, I get linked to another page for Recaptcha registration? Why is it so complicated to make a simple order of a group buy product? How do I register for the group buy(s)?
Hi sorry for the confusion once you visit our group buy page all you have to do is select the item you want to purchase and just add to cart. from here you'll be able to check out and complete your purchase. You will not need to be assigned a user ID or password in order to receive the group buy price. Let me know if you need additional assistance.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
68WMiniS
3rd Gear
I just submitted an order for my 03 MCS, this is something I'll need!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 68WMiniS
I just submitted an order for my 03 MCS, this is something I'll need!
I like mine! Getting ready to re install mine with warmer temps approaching

Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, it's a great way to quickly block out sun and keep temps down. Plus it folds up easily and can fit in the seatback pocket. I knew one day I'd find a use for that pocket one day!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Mischief
Neutral
Thank you for the group offer ZippeeShade!

I got my first shades pair two years ago sometime after the Cooper. No wear or tear and they're still in great shape. I've only folded them twice, probably. Originally I used what it was made for, the sunroofs, then I used it for the passenger and driver windows or rear windows when I'm parking since I don't have tinted windows. I was hoping to get another pair just to cover the rear windows, although I hope that you would create another version to fit these instead.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM
NEUMISMATIC
1st Gear
What's the current price for the shade?

What's the current price for the shade?
MCS 2005
thanks