U.S. Mini Club (Long Island) The U.S. MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at USMiniClub.com

Hassel Mini vs. Habberstad Mini (Long Island, NY)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:40 PM
msmingel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions as to whether Hassel Mini in Freeport or Habberstad Mini in Huntington is the better dealership in terms of customer support and service? Or, maybe someone can suggest another dealership nearby. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by msmingel; 12-29-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: fixing message
Old 12-29-2007, 03:21 PM
jblaw
3rd Gear
Habberstad

I went to Maureen at Habberstad - actually got money off MSRP and some freebies. Great experience. Tell her I sent you.

Jeff Einhorn

Old 12-29-2007, 04:01 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I bought my car from Maureen when she was at Hassel. When she went to Habberstad I visited her (early '07) and thought I would have my car serviced there. Unfortunately, the couple of times I called Habb service to ask about a problem and set up an appointment, the people on the other end of the phone sounded like they couldn't give a crap.

Hassel is closer to me, and their phone 'manners' are acceptable to me, so it was gonna take at least on-par customer service from Habb to get me to switch. The phone, which is often the first contact with a business, was not promising with Habberstad MINI.

Since that time, I have come to depend on Jason at Hassel for my service needs. Every service team needs a Jason, or better yet, more than one.

If I had it to do again right now, I'd buy my car from Maureen, wherever she is, and have it serviced at Hassel.

As always, these are only my opinions, and should be treated as such. YMMV.

Zip

Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea while overall my experience with habberstad was good, they did take a bit long to get back to me on more then one occasion when I had important questions about about the transaction.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
ANT818
3rd Gear
Well, I bought one from both. I'm a good one to ask. I had a lousy experience with Hassel. The sales team was very inexperienced. They promised me the world and tried to scam my 03 works for a song. As far as the service dept is concerned, Jason was very nice while they had my car for 5 weeks this summer to fix a rattle. It turned out to be a hose clamp was missing. They are incompetent. On the other hand, while Maureen could not match Hassels trade in value, her price was so much less it didn't matter. My dealing with Maureen was very professional. She is very knowledgeable about the product. I'm very happy I drove the extra 15 minutes to go to Habberstat. Good luck

Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 AM
piove
1st Gear
I just had my first experience with Hassel's service department and I was very impressed. Fast, friendly service.. no waiting around.. BMW loaner and my car was ready the following day. I'm happy.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
I have never been to Hassel for service so I can't speak to that. I can sya that for the past five years the service at Habberstad has been exemplary for the MINI and I would recommend them highly.

One observation I have is that some folks treat the SAs like garbage and expect to get great service, my advice is to treat the SA the way you would like to be treated and you will receive great service at most dealers, that said there are incompetent technicians at all dealers so beware.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI of Fairfield County in Stamford was perfect for the order, pickup ,and service. The best new car purchasing experience I've ever had. Mark Smith was our MA.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:31 AM
TK76911S
4th Gear
Go to Morristown (NJ) Mini. They're incredible. Great dealer. Great people.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dkstone
I have never been to Hassel for service so I can't speak to that. I can sya that for the past five years the service at Habberstad has been exemplary for the MINI and I would recommend them highly.

One observation I have is that some folks treat the SAs like garbage and expect to get great service, my advice is to treat the SA the way you would like to be treated and you will receive great service at most dealers, that said there are incompetent technicians at all dealers so beware.
this is why i wanna getting out of the service dept of the dealerships. people have to understand that the SA nor the dealership made your car and you take it out on them like they did.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
archrenov8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by msmingel
Does anyone have any opinions as to whether Hassel Mini in Freeport or Habberstad Mini in Huntington is the better dealership in terms of customer support and service? Or, maybe someone can suggest another dealership nearby. Thanks a bunch.
I have heard only good things about Habberstad MINI. My friend and I were in there last Monday, looking for a new MINI for him. Maureen was quite helpful and patient with us, as we test drove several models, and sat in quite a few. We also visited Hassel MINI this week just to have a look.

It seems like Habb is a bigger operation, and they had a bigger selection of new and previously owned as well.

We will be back Monday to meet with Maureen again, and will likely be ordering one.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
jblaw
3rd Gear
I can attest that Maureen was quite patient with me... I vacillated on every color, option, everything. But I made the correct choice!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 PM
ImolaS54
2nd Gear
Hassel has lame sales department, full of nitwits.

Habberstead was great to deal with, but from my past m3 experience their service department is mighty lame...

Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
archrenov8
1st Gear
So add my friend and I to the list of people who have ordered a MINI from Maureen at Habberstad MINI in Huntington Station. We placed the order this afternoon, looking at an early April Delivery.

Maureen was great to work with.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM
ggladstone
Neutral
Habberstad vs Hassel

NO CONTEST!!!! Habberstad is the worst dealership I have ever done business with in my life!

HASSEL is amazing!!!!! There you have it folks!

Originally Posted by msmingel

Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ImolaS54
Hassel has lame sales department, full of nitwits.
sounds like a huge hassle to me

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM
michele r53
3rd Gear
Hassel is great. Angelina is very helpfull. And great to deal with.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've dealt with both, regarding sales and service. I think Hassel's sales suck, Habberstad's is much better (Maureen is great). As for service, I have serviced in both places and I would say the experience with both would be equally good.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 PM
djdraddy
Banned
I have had a relationship with Hassel for about 10 years now. I live nearby and I would lease a new 5 series BMW every 2 years because I drive quite bit. Partly because of this I ultimately ordered/purchased my Clubman S from them.

I have to say that everyone I've dealt with in the Sales location has been very nice and responsive to my needs. Steve, the Sales Mgr., was especially helpful when I recently had a small problem. Resolving this problem provided my first experience with the Service Dept. as a MINI owner and I have to say I was more than a little disappointed.

As I said, I've been a BMW customer of theirs for a number of years and have always received very good treatment by a pleasant and competent staff. BTW, the BMW and MINI service is performed together at a Service location that is separate from both Sales operations.

I was surprised by my experience this time, unlike prior (BMW) service visits to this same location, I didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling. Wow, suffice it to say... I guess I'm not a BMW owner anymore. I'll go so far as to say I was a bit Put-Off by the experience. I was actually a little angry about the whole experience and I even placed a call to Steve and told him how things went.

I do want to add that when I was originally looking at the MINI I visited the Habberstad location to see a JCW Clubman they had. I was very impressed with the whole "MINI theme" of the facility and I had the pleasure of meeting Maureen. I've said this to others and I say it here again, Maureen was one of the most professional and competent sales people I have ever dealt with. If all else was equal, I would have liked to have purchased my car from her. Even if all else wasn't quite equal, I would have liked to have purchased my car from her. I almost bought that '09 JCW Clubman.

But there were too many "other factors" and the people at Hassel MINI are very nice. I just hope they catch a clue about the service issues.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
I bought two MINIs from Maureen at Habberstad but got screwed on the trade-in both times, including the one MINI I personally purchased from her when I went to trade that MINI in for another. Maureen was pleasant enough, but the dealership keeps the salespeople hands tied. None of this was Maureen's fault as she was very professional and knew her product.The service department sucked. I had a surging problem with my wife's 2007 automatic and they refused to acknowledge the problem so it never actually got fixed. Then in summer of 2010, I got the itch to buy a 2007 certified preowned MINI. Their prices I found were very high and found no incentive to buy again from them, so purchased my current MIN from a luxury car dealer with 1.5 years left on the warranty. I plan to have my own mechanic fix whatever problems I encounter. You would think after 3 MINIs, they would have gained my confidence and respect and trust. One would only hope that service will catch on. Plus their financing best was 7%. (I am sure they made on the financing too !!!) I got my 2.9% 60 mo from NEFCU (National Educators Federal Credit Union.

Last edited by IMAMINI; 11-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM
relaxo
1st Gear
I don't know about either of them, but HOW can you call your dealership service center "Hassle?!?!"

Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
TDNparts
2nd Gear
picking up my CM tmrw. Lets see if I get Hassel'd. So far, the financial games they been playing are quite irritating. (trying to reneg.) after I've ordered. shifty I tell ya, damm shifty.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Recently purchased at Hassel & worked with Steve Jawarski. He's a good guy. Do your model research. He & Dennis MINIero(finance) will take care of you. Communication could have been a bit more clear but in the end everything worked out great.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:29 AM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Lets bring this thread back from the dead!!! Looks like it's time for a refresh.

Hassle pissed me off. I went there with a written quote from Habberstad, they looked at it and said, "they're lying to you. This is impossible." I found it rude to bad talk other people like that.

I tried to get out of a car last year, and worked with Jarred. Great dude. Now I want to order a car and be there for when I get home... It's hard to get a hold of anyone. Normally, I would just walk in...but I'm a little far away at the moment. In their defense, I have only emailed once, like a week ago and the the time difference is ridiculous.

What's new in the Mini dealership world on LI now? where should I go, who should I speak with...

Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
Gadget guru
Neutral
Recent purchase from Habberstad - A+

I can only talk about our experience with Habberstad Mini. Our salesman was George. First, from the time we walked onto the lot until we filled out the finance app., NOT once were any questions about my financials! Examples: (How much you looking to spend? What's your monthly payment your looking for? How much $ are you putting down? How's your credit? or What do you do for a living?) Trust me, if anyone is thinking, maybe he didn't need to ask because what you drove in with or what you were wearing! LoL - 2009 minivan by a fat guy wearing sweats! LMAO. Anyway there was NO pressure and he went out of his way to find keys and bring them up (in the pouring rain to show us different cars. He then printed out EVERYTHING on the one car we looking at. At it has to tell you something it he is the original salesman that special ordered/sold our '14 Countryman and they came back to him to trade it in and special ordered a '18 Mini convertible! I even sent a question via email to our salesman (George) on his day off and he called the dealership and sent us a reply with the answer within 10 mins! The wife and I are already talking about our buying a car from them when our daughters start to drive! (Less than 2yrs)

Jim
2014 Countryman, True Blue, JCW exterior & interior pkgs