Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Wyoming and Utah MINI Business Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:56 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wyoming and Utah MINI Business Trip

Here are a couple of photos from my just completed road trip to Utah and then Wyoming. Went from Denver to Vernal, UT and then Riverton, WY and back to Denver. Good weather coming back today but Wednesday going from Vernal to Flaming Gorge was really sketchy. The road had 3" of snow and was slick (with 4" of clearance this is an issue). Had to turn off the DSC in order to keep going. Once over the top it was fine. All my photos are in my Flickr set but here is a shot at the reservoir.

Here is a shot from Split Rock up in Wyoming. This is on the Oregon Trail near Jeffery City:

Another by Split Rock

Enjoyed the open roads and lack of traffic. Top down motoring to Utah and from Wyoming (though I got some rather strange looks ).

Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
If I add this business trip with the college tour trip and this week's business trip I'm looking at 4,300 miles in three weeks. Perhaps too much of a good thing.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice..what roads did you take? I'm traveling from KC to Yosemite at the end of May...would love for some off the interstate routes..

Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
If I were going to travel across Colorado I would take US40. Good vistas, nice roads and fuel. You could then turn North out of Vernal UT and go through Flaming Gorge (picture with dam) which would bring you to I-80 into Salt Lake and into Lake Tahoe. I'm sure there are better routes through Utah and Nevada.
I guess you could look at taking US50 all the way from Kansas into Reno.
Sounds like a great trip!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I love driving the southwest. Did you check out Dinosaur National Monument?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
If I were going to travel across Colorado I would take US40. Good vistas, nice roads and fuel. You could then turn North out of Vernal UT and go through Flaming Gorge (picture with dam) which would bring you to I-80 into Salt Lake and into Lake Tahoe. I'm sure there are better routes through Utah and Nevada.
I guess you could look at taking US50 all the way from Kansas into Reno.
Sounds like a great trip!
I'd planned on taking US50 into Grand Junction definitely, hadn't planned further than that, at least to Vegas. After Vegas I want to take 120W into Yosemite (if it's open that early)..I've been telling the wife for years about seeing a boulder come down the mountain and take out a biker+1 when I was younger. Gorgeous road, but scary as all get out.

Makes you feel alive.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Great pictures! They bring back memories for me, I grew up in Cody, WY which is only an hour (maybe) or so from Riverton. I would love to drive my MINI to Wyoming sometime!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Great pictures! They bring back memories for me, I grew up in Cody, WY which is only an hour (maybe) or so from Riverton. I would love to drive my MINI to Wyoming sometime!
Wyoming is great motoring! I highly recommend getting a bra like my Colgan, it saved me a ton o'chips and it is very easy to put on and off. I had no issues with vibration or marring of the finish so I'm happy with it.
Cody BTW is more like 3 hours from Riverton (nothing in Wyoming is only an hour away ). My wife's family is in Powell which is next to Cody.

Originally Posted by 89AKurt
I love driving the southwest. Did you check out Dinosaur National Monument?
Dinosaur National Monument is like 80 miles long with 5 or 6 entry points. The one closest to Vernal is where the quarry is and has some really cool fossils exposed in the wall and floor. I've been there a couple of times, it is well worth the time to see.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
I'd planned on taking US50 into Grand Junction definitely, hadn't planned further than that, at least to Vegas. After Vegas I want to take 120W into Yosemite (if it's open that early)..I've been telling the wife for years about seeing a boulder come down the mountain and take out a biker+1 when I was younger. Gorgeous road, but scary as all get out.
I do Santa Fe, NM to Northern California often. There are wonderful choices across Utah and Nevada. Is Las Vegas a definite for you because it is out of the way of the best non Interstate routes.

Just following 50, which is concurrent with the very best part of I-70 from Grand Junction to Salina, UT is a cool route. Drop off it at Ely on Rt 6, through Tonopah and then take CA 120 from its eastern terminus at Rt 6 across to Lee Vining (this is one of my favorite stretches of road due to scenery, twists, dips and low traffic volume). From there 120 will take you into Yosemite Park.

If you have more time head south off of I-70/US 50 on Ut 24 after Green River Ut. Find Hwy 12, you will not be sorry. Jog over to Ut 143, then find Ut 14 to drop into Cedar City. At this point Las Vegas is an easy option but not nearly so fine as heading straight west on Route 56, using federal 93 to find the Extra-Terresteral Highway (NV 375). This will lead you to Route 6 and Tonopah and potentially, a worm hole to Magrathea.

Gee. This all gets my traveling juices going. I'll try to get back to this forum and post some pictures from these routes I've suggested . . . after taxes of course.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 AM
aorr
2nd Gear
Dinosaur National Monument is like 80 miles long with 5 or 6 entry points. The one closest to Vernal is where the quarry is and has some really cool fossils exposed in the wall and floor. I've been there a couple of times, it is well worth the time to see.[/QUOTE]

It's a very neat place! Unfortunately, the quarry is temporarily closed indefinitely. Or so it was the last time I checked last summer. It's too bad, but I guess they had some movement of the structure that wasn't good for stability...Who'd have thought building a building that large on bentonite?! :-)

-Andy

Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
it's my reccomendation to take us40 the whole way through. I've 4 different ways to Denver from Salt Lake and 40 is by far the most scenic. Flaming Gorge is nice, but I'd go straight through 40 do Heber UT. That way, you'll pass by beautiful Strawberry Res., then down through some really beautiful canyons with plenty of wildlife. Once you hit Heber, you'll drive right by the backside of Deer Valley resort and then you'll hit I-80 right before Park City. Then, straight on through to Reno.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
This is my best way: The Burr Trail.

Attached Thumbnails Wyoming and Utah MINI Business Trip-burrtrailswitchbacks.jpg  
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
MattMan
Is that paved? If so, holy crap......and where is it?

Old 04-27-2007, 11:34 AM
MattMan
Haha, just found it, I've been on that road a couple of times quite a few years back. Forgot all about it.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:21 PM
aorr
2nd Gear
If anyone does go through Heber, lemme know. :-) As of May 8th, I'll be there with my MINI until the middle of June. :-)

I agree that Highway 40 is the nicest road to get to Denver. The Utah part is pretty neat coming up to Vernal, but the Colorado Part around Winter Park is absolutely stunning! Some great twisties up that way. :-)
-Andy

Old 04-28-2007, 08:29 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Actually, if you don't mind a few extra miles, after coming off the east side of Rabbit Ears pass on highway 40, turn north on Highway 14 to Walden and then through Poudre canyon. This dumps into Fort Collins after some great scenery and fun twisties.
Another fun route I take often is after coming down the south side of Berthoud pass and heading east on I-70, turn south at Idaho Springs onto road 103 which will take you by the road to Mount Evans. This is what we call the western dragon since it is totally twisty. It is also one of the roads for MITM.