North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Tires, Wheels, & Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes-36/)
-   -   Nippon Wheels? Cheap Cheap Cheap? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/69902-nippon-wheels-cheap-cheap-cheap.html)

Bydgoszcz 05-29-2006 03:12 PM

Nippon Wheels? Cheap Cheap Cheap?

In the midst of looking for some SSR Comps I ran into these Nippon Wheels on ebay, and man there are freaking cheap!! and supposedly pretty light too.

So this begs the question are they crap? I want to get something I can run on the track and autoX events vs running my big and heavy 19"s.

kenchan 05-29-2006 08:00 PM

lol :lol: i don't think you can build good wheels out of cheap materials and labor.

there's probably some catch.

kyriian 05-29-2006 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan
lol :lol: i don't think you can build good wheels out of cheap materials and labor.

there's probably some catch.

that said... you can probably buy 2-3 sets with the price of a set of SSRs... and even those bend!

im not so sure about the nippon racing wheels.... (heard it was from the guys who make OBX products), but my rotas have been great.... they may not be as light as the real Racing Hart CP035s... but they hold well... and that's all that matters

Bydgoszcz 05-30-2006 11:19 AM

Whats the difference between rota and nippon they look exactly the same and well price is almost identical too?

kenchan 05-30-2006 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by kyriian
that said... you can probably buy 2-3 sets with the price of a set of SSRs... and even those bend!

aww, don't start this topic again, kyriian. you know all wheels bend when
you run over something or hit a pothole big enough. :razz:

ive had 5-6 sets of SSR's and the only time i bent 2 pcs was when i went
over a canyon rock about the size of a family-size kleenex box to dodge
an old fart darting across the road.

ive yet to bend my Comps or GT3's.

kenchan 05-30-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bydgoszcz
Whats the difference between rota and nippon they look exactly the same and well price is almost identical too?

they may be casted at the same factory in the philippeans and just
rebadged.

there's knock-offs of knock-offs these days, so you never know.

xizor 05-30-2006 01:16 PM

if you only plan to track or autox them you're probably ok, you're not likely to hit a pothole doing that :lol:

kenchan 05-30-2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by xizor
if you only plan to track or autox them you're probably ok, you're not likely to hit a pothole doing that :lol:

see, that's the thing.... would you want to trust some cheepo wheel
when going to the track where you would put a lot of stress on your
wheels? im sure they work, but i'd be kinda iffy about it.

xizor 05-30-2006 02:20 PM

see, that's the thing.... would you want to trust some cheepo wheel
when going to the track where you would put a lot of stress on your
wheels? im sure they work, but i'd be kinda iffy about it.

Racing puts a lot of stress on the hub/bolts that attach the wheel, and the tire, but I'm not seeing how it stresses the wheel itself unless you are hitting things, in which case maybe one should avoid that track. For AutoXing I can't think anything that would pose a danger to a wheel

Bydgoszcz 05-30-2006 02:53 PM

they may be casted at the same factory in the philippeans and just
rebadged.

there's knock-offs of knock-offs these days, so you never know.

Thats what I figured. Thanks Kenchan.

As for bending the wheels, well I got 19"s on right now with a 35 series tyre, and well the roads in Calgary suck, I might as well be driving offroad at times, and even these wheels have the odd minor bend in them. I know on the track hitting the berms around the corners could bend the wheel and such but autoXing I think these knock-offs will be fine plus a 16" wheel with a Hankook competition tire combo is cheap, and thats what I want as I will be doing this every other week just to take advantage of what the MINI can do. :nod:

kenchan 05-30-2006 04:37 PM

yeh, it's called lateral G (when you turn) and stresses the spokes
unless you're on some cheezy bald runflats or something. :lol:
that'll be another problem trying to keep the car on the track. hehehe.

nono, we're racing on THIS track, not over there in the grass ditch. lol

Originally Posted by xizor
Racing puts a lot of stress on the hub/bolts that attach the wheel, and the tire, but I'm not seeing how it stresses the wheel itself unless you are hitting things, in which case maybe one should avoid that track. For AutoXing I can't think anything that would pose a danger to a wheel

kenchan 05-30-2006 04:39 PM

yeh, give them a shot at your auto-x. im sure they'll do fine.

Originally Posted by Bydgoszcz
I think these knock-offs will be fine plus a 16" wheel with a Hankook competition tire combo is cheap, and thats what I want as I will be doing this every other week just to take advantage of what the MINI can do. :nod:

kyriian 05-30-2006 08:25 PM

aww, don't start this topic again, kyriian. you know all wheels bend when
you run over something or hit a pothole big enough. :razz:

alright, we'll agree to disagree...

honestly.. ive had only medium quality wheels in my mini, and ive had no problems with them... my first set, motegi racing ff6 wheels stood on the track, and the pothole ridden streets of toronto, no problem

my second set, rota subzero.. still havent had any issues

my third set... BSA 303.... although so far it has only one autox on it's belt.. i'd be interested in seeing if they can stand up to my abuse on the track........

wish i can afford volk........ or at least gram lights.......:cry::cry: