North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Tires, Wheels, & Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes-36/)
-   -   Minimum Rotor Thickness, JCW Brakes? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/66453-minimum-rotor-thickness-jcw-brakes.html)

lexbomb 04-18-2006 09:47 AM

Minimum Rotor Thickness, JCW Brakes?

Ok... does anybody know the minimum thickness for the JCW rotors before they have to be replaced?

Thanks,

toddtce 04-18-2006 11:55 AM

This data should be cast, etched or stamped in the rotor. Often on the outer edge. Probably covered with a bit of rust however.

If not there, a good "rule of thumb" is a 10% reduction merits a replacement.

RED FURY 04-18-2006 12:07 PM

My TCE BBK 13" rotors may need some work after this track season ...

lexbomb 04-18-2006 01:20 PM

Well, I just talked to my SA, and they recommend that on the front's you replace rotors with pads. (so I ordered up a set to go with the pads)

On the rears, he said you can usually go through two sets of pads before you have to replace the rotors.

chows4us 04-18-2006 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by lexbomb
Well, I just talked to my SA, and they recommend that on the front's you replace rotors with pads. (so I ordered up a set to go with the pads)

On the rears, he said you can usually go through two sets of pads before you have to replace the rotors.

If you have the JCW brakes, the rotors on the real are stock MINI rotors BUT the pads are different.

So basically they are saying you really need a new JCW Brake Kit EXCEPT for the calipers?

lexbomb 04-18-2006 02:24 PM

That just about sums it up....

PrplPplEtr 04-18-2006 09:05 PM

well, crap...

Ryephile 04-18-2006 09:13 PM

Ok... does anybody know the minimum thickness for the JCW rotors before they have to be replaced?

Thanks,

Isn't it about 5mm more than what they are out of the box? ROFLMAO :lol:

lexbomb 04-19-2006 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
well, crap...

:lol::lol::lol:

I was wondering when that word was going to pop up...

polmear 04-21-2006 07:31 AM

typical stealer misinformation!

If the front rotors have not been gouged or severely scored...they should be measured before any recommendation (replace, turn, reuse) is made.
the standard "replace rotors with pads" is a cash cow, and typically unnecessary.
Typical wear allowance is around 1mm per plate, but like Todd said, "MIN THK XX.XX MM" should be cast on the edge of the hat (maybe on the hub side) or stamped legibly onto some machined surface that won't wear.

toddtce 04-21-2006 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by RED FURY
My TCE BBK 13" rotors may need some work after this track season ...

Maintenance of any such kit should not be overlooked. Most problems creep up slowly due to folks running pads down past about 30% remaining. This can lead to loss of caliper performance due to pad binding and added piston travel.

Depending upon the use of the vehicle however replacement of pads and or rotors is simply a sign of their being expended. Assuming they did what you ask of them without issue then it's part of the cost of doing business. The same as using up gummy tires (usually found with the BBK on the track car) all these parts have a life cycle.

lexbomb 04-24-2006 01:39 PM

Well, I worked on it this weekend, and the pads have a bit of life left in them, so I decided to leave them on for now (that, and the dealer sent me the rear pads instead of the fronts...:roll: and I didn't find out until I pulled off the old pads).

Since I track it several times a year I'll change them before my next track day and get them bedded in properly before I get on the track.