Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

BBS GT or LM replicas?

Old 11-20-2005, 10:45 PM
jon.k
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBS GT or LM replicas?

anyone know of any replicas? I really like the look, but they're a little too pricey.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are lots of mesh wheels that resemble the LM's (one of my favorite wheels)

Check out the axis supermesh's they might only come in 5 lug....but if they come in 4 lug, it would be perfect for what you are looking for.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Konky
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BBS LM's are a fantastic choice

I used to see BBS LM replicas on ebay all the time for under $600. Keep checking for them to pop up again or even do the search in the "completed items" section, and contact the seller to see if he/she has more to sell. (just an idea)

Old 11-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dj_Konky
BBS LM's are a fantastic choice

I used to see BBS LM replicas on ebay all the time for under $600. Keep checking for them to pop up again or even do the search in the "completed items" section, and contact the seller to see if he/she has more to sell. (just an idea)

Konky, im having trouble figuring out if the supermeshs come in 4 lug.....do you have any idea if they do?

And what is the story with 4 lug LM's for a while i heard they were discontinued.?

Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Konky
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Konky, im having trouble figuring out if the supermeshs come in 4 lug.....do you have any idea if they do?

And what is the story with 4 lug LM's for a while i heard they were discontinued.?
4x100 lms are discontinued, you can get them from japan but only 4x114.3

i dont think the supermeshes come in 4x100 either

(i could be wrong)

Old 11-21-2005, 01:15 PM
motorsports_3
3rd Gear

Void has a set of BBS Lms on his car, and look fairly new. Maybe sotre still have inventory.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by motorsports_3
Void has a set of BBS Lms on his car, and look fairly new. Maybe sotre still have inventory.
GMP Performance in Charlotte can get them. I just inquired last week after BBS USA directed me to them. They quoted me $640 per wheel. Keep in mind that even though the LM is a 2-piece wheel with forged center, it's still 19 lbs. I'd expect lighter. You have to go to a 1-piece fully forged BBS to drop more lbs. And they're even less expensive. The LM does look great, but I couldn't justify the price for that weight. BBS wheels are typically a bit heavier than other competitors like SSR and O.Z., but the quality is unmatched. If I had to trust my life to an aftermarket wheel, BBS would get my money. Have you seen the RC? It has the standard BBS cross spoke, but with a center cap that covers the lugs. TireRack has them for $299 a wheel and I've seen them as high as $500 for the same 17" 4x100. It's a nice wheel, even if it looks a bit VWish. But at least it's the real thing and at 18 lbs, it's lighter than the LM.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:35 PM
meb
6th Gear
...two-piece is important if you wish to change offset, tire width or both.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM
jon.k
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
there are lots of mesh wheels that resemble the LM's (one of my favorite wheels)

Check out the axis supermesh's they might only come in 5 lug....but if they come in 4 lug, it would be perfect for what you are looking for.

I was looking at those but could only find 5 lug, very nice though.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:59 PM
jon.k
3rd Gear
I found these also, but it looks like they're 5 lug

Old 11-21-2005, 05:08 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
I got mine through a store in Japan since 4x100 LMs are not sold in the North American market. paid $650 each. (GRM quoted me $670 when i called but also said a 6month wait). They mentioned this is the last one they had in stock for this year. So probably more next year?

Two piece wheels are generally heavier than one piece and I don't think weight is much a issue for me as my car is mostly on the street. I had 11lbs forged wheels on my previous car and bent them twice! Lighter isn't always better.. LMs look a lot sturdier. So far I'm happy with them.

I was looking at ALTs but they don't make the LM copies in 4x100.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Go with BBS wheels, the quality will amaze you !!

You can purchase BBS LM's they just have to be built in Japan and then shipped to the US. That's why the state it can take up to six months to get them here.

If you want to have light wheels than go with the BBS forged wheels. I have said it before. Not all forged wheels are the same. A BBS forged wheel is a true example of art as is all the wheels they produce..

Wheels & tires are your connection to the road spend the extra $$ never skimp on your wheels or tires !!!

Old 11-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by VoiD
I got mine through a store in Japan since 4x100 LMs are not sold in the North American market. paid $650 each.
BBS LM's are sold in America as per BBS-USA in an email I received just last week...(below)
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]"The LM198’s are in stock. Please contact GMP in Charlotte at 704-525-0941 for prcing.[/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]John Lewis[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]BBS of America, Inc.[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]I will be on vacation for the Thanksgiving Holiday from 11/21 to 11/28.[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]Please visit our website at www.bbs-usa.com" [/font][/size][/font]

Old 11-24-2005, 02:20 PM
jon.k
3rd Gear
just a little update in case anyone cares. I think I'm going to go for 17s, BBS RGR Diamond Black. $403 each, is the lowest price I've found.

Any recommendations on tires?

Old 11-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jon.k
just a little update in case anyone cares. I think I'm going to go for 17s, BBS RGR Diamond Black. $403 each, is the lowest price I've found.

Any recommendations on tires?
I care. Is that $403 USD? Who is your source? As for your question, I would want to try the new Bridgestone runflats. A) they're not heavy, B) they're as compliant as non-runflats, C) they're decently priced for runflats

Old 11-24-2005, 02:53 PM
jon.k
3rd Gear
Old 11-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
most definitely

Old 11-25-2005, 04:55 AM
meb
6th Gear
My 17" RGRs were nearly $600.00 each from tire rack. Make damn sure they are BBS wheels - for your piece of mind.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:56 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
My 17" RGRs were nearly $600.00 each from tire rack. Make damn sure they are BBS wheels - for your piece of mind.
Tire Rack's price is only 11.5% below MSRP, which means there's definitely far more room to undercut that price if a another retailer wished to. I do agree that $403 seems to be too good of a deal, considering the rarity of big discounts in this market segment on premium wheels. Mini Madness price is 27% off list, which to me makes me think there's still some profit there, but not a lot. I wouldn't worry about them being knock-offs (unless you have some credible information showing Mini Madness to be dishonest--I would hope not as they seem reputable to me). What's most unfortunate is that all these reatialers, including everyone on this forum, haven't figured out supply and demand. Retailers would rather sell fewer at higher profit margins, than volume at a lower profit. Volume will win every time. If they'd come down off their prices a bit THEY WOULD SELL MORE AND MAKE MUCH MORE MONEY! The indirect affect, would be that we would all have premium aftermarket wheels!!! Wake up retailers!!!

Old 11-25-2005, 06:01 AM
meb
6th Gear
Agreed.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Those wheels at $403 appear to be at cost or below cost. That is very cheap..

It maybe a typo.. I would check with them right away if you want them, they also might be trying to get rid of that set..

Old 11-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
There is not as much room in the cost of wheels as you think... Tire Rack makes a very small margin on the BBS line of wheels...

Those wheels as I stated in my previous post maybe a typo or at cost. The raw cost of those wheels is very expensive !!

Originally Posted by Stevie B
Tire Rack's price is only 11.5% below MSRP, which means there's definitely far more room to undercut that price if a another retailer wished to. I do agree that $403 seems to be too good of a deal, considering the rarity of big discounts in this market segment on premium wheels. Mini Madness price is 27% off list, which to me makes me think there's still some profit there, but not a lot. I wouldn't worry about them being knock-offs (unless you have some credible information showing Mini Madness to be dishonest--I would hope not as they seem reputable to me). What's most unfortunate is that all these reatialers, including everyone on this forum, haven't figured out supply and demand. Retailers would rather sell fewer at higher profit margins, than volume at a lower profit. Volume will win every time. If they'd come down off their prices a bit THEY WOULD SELL MORE AND MAKE MUCH MORE MONEY! The indirect affect, would be that we would all have premium aftermarket wheels!!! Wake up retailers!!!

Old 11-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Konky
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Stevie B
BBS LM's are sold in America as per BBS-USA in an email I received just last week...(below)
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]"The LM198’s are in stock. Please contact GMP in Charlotte at 704-525-0941 for prcing.[/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]John Lewis[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]BBS of America, Inc.[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]I will be on vacation for the Thanksgiving Holiday from 11/21 to 11/28.[/font][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]Please visit our website at www.bbs-usa.com" [/font][/size][/font]

not doubting you, just curious.

I know they sell LM's in the U.S., are you sure they still sell 4x100's though?

Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dj_Konky
not doubting you, just curious.

I know they sell LM's in the U.S., are you sure they still sell 4x100's though?
If you check the BBS website (BBS.com), and manuever through to find the fitment guide, you'll see that the BBS "LM198" is the LM for the MINI. It's a 4x100 17" x 7.5" wheel. Don't forget to click "English" before you start the hunt. The 3 number code after the model type indicates a specific version, as in bolt pattern, wheel diameter and width, and offset. I like the LM, but at that price and 18.9 lbs, it isn't the best deal. I imagine its marketing value has more to do with an attempt to appeal to the racing enthusiast (not to be confused with NASCAR--I'm talking real racing series). BTW, here's the weights in pounds of the other current German-made BBS 17" wheels (I had to email the factory to get these): CV001 (21.6); RD220 (20.2); RF309 (20.7); and RX215 (21.8).

Old 11-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
There is not as much room in the cost of wheels as you think... Tire Rack makes a very small margin on the BBS line of wheels...

Those wheels as I stated in my previous post maybe a typo or at cost. The raw cost of those wheels is very expensive !!
Don't kid yourself, Tire Rack is making good profit, and that's an understatement. Maybe Alex will chime in, but my bet is that the difference in MSRP and low low dealer net is about 40~50%. The small business may not be able to buy that cheap, but you would think Tire Rack would take a look at Walmart and seize the day (buy low, sell low, kill the competition, and expand your business exponetially). My guess is there's no one at Tire Rack with a business degree. When I retire from the Air Force in a few years Tire Rack would be smart to scoop me up and put my MBA to use, but only if they open a distributorship in Hawaii.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBS GT or LM replicas?