Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

JCW Brakes on 16" V Spoke aka X Lites, R84

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:31 PM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Brakes on 16" V Spoke aka X Lites, R84

Is it possible? Is there any way to fit the JCW Brakes with the stock V Spokes aka X Lites, R84? If you have, please post pics and info on what needs to be done.

If a dealer mounted, spill the beans and tell us which dealers will do it.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 PM
XAlfa
Banned
I have heard (read) that they will fit, but clearance is tight and BMW/JCW did not approve them to minimize the potential for overheating.

Originally Posted by ravenfish
Is it possible? Is there any way to fit the JCW Brakes with the stock V Spokes aka X Lites, R84? If you have, please post pics and info on what needs to be done.

If a dealer mounted, spill the beans and tell us which dealers will do it.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
I have seen it done. The Phil Wicks MINI has the JCW brakes mounted with the R84 rims. I talked to them about it, and the only problem seems to come in when a shop goes to put balance weights onto the rim. They may have to be shaved to clear the caliper properly. It is a VERY tight fit, but it can be done.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by XAlfa
I have heard (read) that they will fit, but clearance is tight and BMW/JCW did not approve them to minimize the potential for overheating.
Yeah, that's what I heard from a MINIUSA employee "in the know" about such things.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SumWon
the only problem seems to come in when a shop goes to put balance weights onto the rim. They may have to be shaved to clear the caliper properly. It is a VERY tight fit, but it can be done.
Curious then, why not just use the traditional "Clip" type weights? I know they're not as pretty looking, but if we're talking performance that shouldn't matter... right?
I remeber my buddies Integra Type R had that problem, the stick-on wieghts rubbed the caliper, so the dealer switched to clip-on and it was all good.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
At one point, a balance tech told me that tape weights were a better choice, because they allowed the tech to more percisely locate the weights instead of just on the outer edge of the rim. I did some research on the web and could not find any information to support or refute that claim, so take it for what it is worth. Personally I choose tape weights for looks but I also know that 90% of the racers that I have known or seen (SCCA, USAC, IHRA, etc) use tape weights as well.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
I have also heard (read) that the V Spokes will fit with some kind of spacer or weight. But I have yet to see any pics or hear from an actual owner of this set up.

I am not fond of the 16" double spokes, kind of ugly or the new 16" bridge spoke, too bulky. I really want to keep my V spokes, please some one give me hope.

My alternative, go with the 17" R99. I'll reliquish the cush of 16" for a little bling and get the JCW suspension. People have given them a in ride comfort and they don't lower the front end much, something I'm really not into.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
clip on weights break the surface coat on the wheel (paint or plating) introducing the possibility of surface integrty failure ( chipping or flaking)

GSP9700.com

this machien's demo will show why the lip is not ideal for weight placment.

Alex

Old 11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
Well, with no hope of mounting the V spokes with the JCW brakes , I am saying goodbye to the V spokes. I will post when I am ready to sell them with the tyres.

I ordered a set of silver R99's to fit the JCW brakes

I bit the bullet and mounted my snow tyres on the ugly R87's.
I guess it's Ok, the R87's are listed as the winter wheel.
But, I will hold off putting them on until last minute.

By next week I think you can add me to the 10K in mods thread.