Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing pre-plastic dipped wheels

Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 PM
myleshailey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing pre-plastic dipped wheels

Fairly new to the MINI community as i recently picked up a black '13 Bayswater MCS and i'm in love coming from a '15 Fiat 500 Turbo previously. When i had bought the car, the OEM 17" wheels had come plasti-dipped black and are already showing some peeling around the lip of wheel. While i do love the black on black look, i'm not a fan on the matte-like finish and i'm planning on repainting the wheels for deeper, gloss black color to match the gloss black body paint or picking up a set of either Rotiform LAS-R's or Fifteen52 Turbo Mac Mono block wheels.

In regards to repainting the wheels, shall i remove the plastic dip already on the wheels before applying new paint or is it fine to just paint over them? I've already painted my chrome trim black using Rustoleum Acrylic Laquer paint so i was also wondering if this could work for the wheels as well? (the color and gloss turn out really good when applied correctly and evenly) Or shall i use stronger paint in order to avoid chips in the paint?

all suggestions and pictures are welcome! pics are from before i picked the car up from the dealer

Old 05-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 314 Posts
I'd remove it before painting. Having a proper base is always important.

A funny story now, not so funny then. I spent an entire day skim coating a large ceiling with joint compound to create a nice texture. Came back the next morning to find all of it and the original paint on the floor. The original base paint and the compound reacted and let gravity do its work.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:08 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You can not apply paint to the Plasti-dip. Have a shop do a mild solvent dip, easiest way to remove it.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by myleshailey View Post
Fairly new to the MINI community as i recently picked up a black '13 Bayswater MCS and i'm in love coming from a '15 Fiat 500 Turbo previously. When i had bought the car, the OEM 17" wheels had come plasti-dipped black and are already showing some peeling around the lip of wheel. While i do love the black on black look, i'm not a fan on the matte-like finish and i'm planning on repainting the wheels for deeper, gloss black color to match the gloss black body paint or picking up a set of either Rotiform LAS-R's or Fifteen52 Turbo Mac Mono block wheels.

In regards to repainting the wheels, shall i remove the plastic dip already on the wheels before applying new paint or is it fine to just paint over them? I've already painted my chrome trim black using Rustoleum Acrylic Laquer paint so i was also wondering if this could work for the wheels as well? (the color and gloss turn out really good when applied correctly and evenly) Or shall i use stronger paint in order to avoid chips in the paint?

all suggestions and pictures are welcome! pics are from before i picked the car up from the dealer

I used Plastidip for about a week, SUX!!! here's the thread referencing the Duplicolor Paint Process I used...with Pictures...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4314033