North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Tires, Wheels, & Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes-36/)
-   -   Help. JCW R105 wheels need spacers on Roadster...?? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/337625-help-jcw-r105-wheels-need-spacers-on-roadster.html)

Rich B. 04-03-2019 05:10 AM

Help. JCW R105 wheels need spacers on Roadster...??

Did a test fit of Mini JCW R105 rims (18 x 7) on our 13 JCW Roadster (stock suspension w/blk springs) yesterday and discovered these wheels are not a direct fit. Spacers are needed so as to move the wheel away from both the struts and the front brake caliper. The wheel lip edge and spokes both hit before being seated on the hub. Looks like about a 3-5mm interference. I'd like to run 215/40x18 tires mainly due to available selection, but as an option would consider 205/40x18's. I'm sure some of you have already gone through this trial to see which spacer size is correct to use for the tires you are wanting to run. I am not a fan of "poke" so would like to avoid that look. Any suggestions or photos are much appreciated. Thanks!
Rich

Rich B. 05-08-2019 04:43 PM

I am revisiting this because I would like to help anyone else faced with the same questions I had. Yes, the 105 wheels will fit with 215/40 18 tires....but....you will need 15mm spacers to clear the JCW/Brembo front brakes. I tried 5mm spacers first then 8mm spacers and neither was satisfactory. The 15mm spacers give the tires a small amount of inset while not having any rubbing issues at all on stock suspension. I hope someone else will benefit from this information.

mountainhorse 05-10-2019 10:47 AM

Were these factory 18x7 ET52 JCW wheels, the R105's, only made to clear the factory JCW brakes for the first gen Mini's?

MINIAC 05-10-2019 03:18 PM

The only 18" OEM wheels "authorized" for use with 2nd Gen JCW brakes are the R113 and R133.

Darbys2019MiniJCW 05-10-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mountainhorse (Post 4468806)

Were these factory 18x7 ET52 JCW wheels, the R105's, only made to clear the factory JCW brakes for the first gen Mini's?

Here are some factory 18x7 Black Night Wheels with 215/40/18 Bridgestone RE71Rs for AiutoXing...just takes a 5mm spacer so the tires don't hit the front struts and they still stay well within the stock fender. They are for sale..,paid $1359 for just the wheels...will let them go for $800.00. They have 2 AutoX's on them and 30 road miles. I love the way they look...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...5c9d5e5119.jpg

mountainhorse 05-10-2019 04:21 PM

Darby...Beautiful ride !!!

Though on the F's .... aren't they 5 lug wheels? (compared to the 4 lug on the OP's R56?)

mountainhorse 05-10-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MINIAC (Post 4468862)
The only 18" OEM wheels "authorized" for use with 2nd Gen JCW brakes are the R113 and R133.

I have that on the list from MINI for the R56's... My question was what FACTORY JCW Car were the R105's made for originally ? (Gen One??)

Darbys2019MiniJCW 05-10-2019 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mountainhorse (Post 4468875)
Darby...Beautiful ride !!!

Though on the F's .... aren't they 5 lug wheels? (compared to the 4 lug on the OP's R56?)

Yeppers

5x112

Rich B. 05-12-2019 09:29 AM

When I purchased, these wheels, nobody, but nobody, not even the Mini dealership parts personnel, said anything to me about these wheels not fitting a Gen2 JCW car. The ad I saw for the "JCW 105 Wheels" was this:

Available as single wheel without tyre or a Available In: Bridgestone/machine polished.
Largest wheel and tyre combination approved for the MINI
Cooper Clubman. Required: 4
Cooper S Clubman. Required: 4
Cooper. Required: 4
Cooper S. Required: 4
Cooper. Required: 4
Coupé S. Required: 4
Roadster Convertible. Required: 4
Cooper S Convertible. Required: 4

After discovering the fit issue I called the Mini dealership only to be told that "they should fit" and I must be doing something wrong. I asked about spacers and no one knew anything about spacers being necessary for these wheels to fit a Gen2 JCW. I was not about to return the wheels as I was sure there was a simple answer to this problem. After all, these wheels were branded by Mini as "JCW" wheels showing fitment to Gen2 cars in the ad description. My deduction was that they will fit a "JCW" Gen2 car. What never dawned on me, or the dealership, was that Mini never intended these wheels to fit it a Gen2 car that was also a JCW. Are you confused yet?

It wasn't until a couple weeks later, while Googling, that I came across an old ECS ad selling these wheels. At the bottom of the ad body it is stated that "JCW 4 Piston Brake kits will need 5mm spacer". Finally! I immediately called ECS to verify this information, and of course no one there could confirm anything about information in one of their "old" ads. I was informed that I would get a call back from someone more technically inclined....but never did.

So, after reaching the above dead ends and getting no response from my initial posting here, I took some measurements and started the trial and error process....got my answers, and re-posted.

Anyway, the deed is done, mission accomplished and they look absolutely great on the car!

Live and learn.

MINIAC 05-12-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mountainhorse (Post 4468877)
I have that on the list from MINI for the R56's... My question was what FACTORY JCW Car were the R105's made for originally ? (Gen One??)

R105 wheels were dealer fit and made for fitment with 294mm brakes (1st Gen JCW sport and 2nd Gen MCS stock brakes). I assume they were introduced in the 2nd Gen

For 2nd Gen JCW Sport Brakes:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...b7d54550ca.png