Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake release cable length adjustment on 1st gen (R53)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 AM
lamontcg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake release cable length adjustment on 1st gen (R53)

My right rear caliper has locked up and am I trying to determine if the caliper has failed or whether the brake release cable has seized. I attempted to detach the end of the cable at the caliper end to isolate the problem, but haven't been able to pull enough slack from the cable (even with vice gripes) to release it. Does anyone know of a cable length adjustment on this cable -- or another way to release the cable from the caliper (aside from cutting it)? BTW This doesn't appear to be a bias adjustment issue between the left and right side. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
You might have to release it from the connection under the center console, this will give you more slack on the cable.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-an-r53.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
lamontcg (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by lamontcg
My right rear caliper has locked up and am I trying to determine if the caliper has failed or whether the brake release cable has seized. I attempted to detach the end of the cable at the caliper end to isolate the problem, but haven't been able to pull enough slack from the cable (even with vice gripes) to release it. Does anyone know of a cable length adjustment on this cable -- or another way to release the cable from the caliper (aside from cutting it)? BTW This doesn't appear to be a bias adjustment issue between the left and right side. Thanks.
That assembly is also spring loaded, are you releasing pressure on the spring while you are grabbing the end of the cable?

Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Although it is not an R53 in video, I believe the parking brake setup is similar enough that you may find this helpful.