Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Plasti Dipping

Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Plasti Dipping

I am thinking of Plasti Dipping the wheels on my MINI and I was was wondering what others may have done with Plasti Dip and what results they obtained. It might be useful to say both what color you used and what color you sprayed it onto, especially if you used one of the Chameleon colors which can have differing results depending on the base color.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
I used PlastiDip in a spray can to put red stripes and paint the mirrors on my R52. Fairly quickly, the stripes began to peal slightly perhaps a 32nd or 16th of an inch in a few sections. The mirrors also had some peeling at the edges. I removed it all, had the car detailed and repainted the bonnet stripes again in red.

The new stripes have held up well after about 2,500 miles of city/highway driving. There has not been any peeling. The second time, I didn't do enough coats of paint. The red does not appear to be as bright as it should. The black color of the car makes the stripes a very dark (but even) shade of red.

The first time, I also applied glossifier which I suspect was what was pealing. I didn't use that the second time.

I am not sure how it will hold up on wheels. I have a road chip in one of the stripes that is very noticeable. I would anticipate a lot of chips in the paint if applied to wheels. I am interested to hear what others have to say about applying it to wheels.

Next spring, I plan to remove the red and go with much wider white stripes down the center of the bonnet and possibly try gray stripes the following year.

The following users liked this post:
Tgriffithjr (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:32 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I used Plastidip on my white wheels. Looked nice until I had to clean them, had to remove the Plastidip a week later. I went ahead and just got the proper paint and painted the wheels which came out VERY NICE two years later. The drying time of the paint was faster than the plastidip, which was more money. To paint the wheels, you go through much of the same steps, so why not just paint them.

Tgriffithjr (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I used Plastidip on my white wheels. Looked nice until I had to clean them, had to remove the Plastidip a week later. I went ahead and just got the proper paint and painted the wheels which came out VERY NICE two years later. The drying time of the paint was faster than the plastidip, which was more money. To paint the wheels, you go through much of the same steps, so why not just paint them.
What brand and type paint did you use?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:40 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
What brand and type paint did you use?
Here's the thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4314033

I have a few posts on that page with the links to the stuff I used.

Tgriffithjr (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:00 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I used Duplicolor Custom Wrap matte metallic graphite on my wheels, sprayed over gloss black centers. I didn't go with Plasti-dip because their gun metal color was more like blue/grey primer and needed a metallizer on top to look metallic. Then I would have needed a third coat of matte to get the look I wanted.

For my red mirrors, I used Rustoleum FlexiDip because it was brighter, and more red than the Plasti-Dip red. This was sprayed over chrome mirror caps.

Tgriffithjr (07-23-2018)