Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

(Many pics!) FINALLY! My Volk Racing ZE40 Time Attack edition wheels have arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:41 AM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(Many pics!) FINALLY! My Volk Racing ZE40 Time Attack edition wheels have arrived!

Finally, after almost a year of waiting, the time and money invested in these very special wheels has paid off, and my god, they are THE BEST wheels I've ever owned (even compared to previous sets of Volk wheels I've had on other cars). I've eventually fitted every car I've owned with wheels from the geniuses in Japan who come up with these things.
if you're familiar with the ZE40 Time Attack or any of Volk's Time Attack wheels, you'll probably be wondering why these aren't black with red stripes...
well, they arrived that way, which was quite upsetting because I was promised by Mackin that they can definitely get Ray's to make me these wheels with a blue accent stripe instead of the normal red, it would just increase the lead Time by a month or so. I've dealt with getting their wheels over here before so I know what a pain it can be sometimes.
Well, I got a call in November after about a year of waiting, from the Vendor who told me "good news, your wheels will be here by the end of January. Bad news, they're the exact size ordered but they DIDN'T COME with the blue stripes I was promised, which was supposed to be the whole reason they took so long. So while I was excited they were finally coming, I was also pissed as can be about the stripe debacle.
So I spent the months leading up to delivery (which by the way, ended up being sometime in February rather than January as told) trying to find a shop that would custom paint them for me, but literally every respected wheel repair/paint/custom shop in the freaking SF Bay Area either didn't respond or straight up told me, "oh no we can't do that".
So despite having the strongest forged wheels that will be able to be made for at least the next decade finally on their way, I felt like I was screwed. I mean hell, my car is Laser Blue. There was no way the red would match.
Thankfully, the Mini community's own Lyle Beckwith from Vinyl Styles was more than happy to step up to the plate. The man is an absolute artist with vinyl. He had a shade of blue that matched my car 99.9% perfectly, and some incredibly steady hands because the rim stripe is cut into sections on each wheel that have been laser engraved out of the metal, and each section of the stripe ends in a rounded edge, which he had to hand cut.
Theyve been on the car for about 2 months now and my god, they're the best looking, best performing wheels I've ever had.
if you don't know about the ZE40 TA edition, it's an incredibly limited run of ZE40's with slightly more strength and slightly less weight. The ZE40 is literally the strongest wheel that will be able to be forged for at least the next decade. With that in mind, I thought, "okay, well that probably means they'll be a little heavier than your average Volk". How wrong I was. They weigh just 13.7 lbs in 17x8 sizing with a 42 offset. They look like they were molded around my StopTechs almost.
I love that from afar they look like normal racing wheels, but when you get closer, you realize there's more than meets the eye. It's a 10 spoke design with 4 totally different spoke shapes, which is all for rigidity's sake.
Theyre absolutely works of art, and there's no faking the kind of details that go into these wheels.
and then there's the "Bead Seat Knurling" tech derived from Ray's F1, GT3, etc. wheels. At first I thought it was a gimmick. It claims to keep the tires from spinning or wiggling at all on the rim and it absolutely lives up to that claim. You don't notice how much your tires move around on your rim until you have rims that prevent that from happening at all. It makes a huge difference in acceleration and road feedback, even with my car's 300+whp (bigger turbo, RPM Power stg3, etc.).
Seriously, if you're thinking of getting some serious wheels, you can't get better than these. There's probably already a million copies. Even HRE copied the ZE40, albeit a far inferior design and they don't even do much in house besides cutting faces on their wheels, bolting them to barrels and then charging super rich guys wayyyyy too much for them.
Volk is easily the most highly evolved wheel company when it comes to forging. They have machines that nobody else does! Mold Forging at 10,000+ lbs of pressure, physically changing the molecular structure of the metal to make it much much more dense.
They are the only company overseeing their wheels from start to finish IN HOUSE.
Needless to say, all the annoyance of waiting so long only to find out I was being buttered up by a vendor who just wanted the sales commission,yeah that was annoying, but there's no getting past how great these wheels are. They put the power to the ground better than any wheel I've ever had.
Now all I've gotta do is get them ceramic coated so I can stop worrying about a rock damaging that gorgeous Hyper black finish.
if you're on the modded Minis facebook page, you're probably tired of seeing them, but as far as I've been told, I'm the only one in the country with these on a Mini. Figured I should share these with my NAM peeps as well!
Im pretty sure the production on the Time Attack version is already completely done, but they've got some awesome finishes on the standard ZE40's as well, and if you get lucky you might find an extra set of TA's on RavSpec or something in r56 sizes. Everyone should get to experience the massive difference wheels like these make.
Anyways, enough from me. Here's some pictures! Just after Vinyl master Lyle finished them up! Oh and in case you're wondering, yes, I do still have the Time Attack red high speed valve stems. Had to spend way too much on 4 of their blue valve stems, but it was necessary lol.
Gotta have a booty shot. Don't mess with this Mini. That's my booty.
I love this picture, but I just realized I left the bonnet popped a little. Ignore that part, stare at the damn wheels!

Freaking Toyota, ruined an otherwise awesome picture. And parked right next to me of course, in a nearly empty freaking lot.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:14 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Looks great! Worth the wait.

The following users liked this post:
cosmicamnesia (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Thanks a lot Vets! Definitely worth it, they're truthfully the best performing wheels I've tried on any car. The current generation of one piece Volks is a huge first in the world of forged wheels, being mold forged at 10,000tons of pressure! The standard for forged wheels has been a max of 8000tons of pressure for quite a while now (many companies don't even have that ability), but Volk/Ray's foundry is the first to have custom machines designed to mold forge at 10k tons. That much pressure and of course Volk's secret alloy mixture dramatically changes the metal's molecular structure (Ray's has always called it Duralumin in Japanese ads), now even moreso with the added pressure of their new machines. It's honestly amazing the level of added road feedback I have with these, not to mention ALOT less wheelspin on a hard launch. These wheels, in addition to my port/polished 43mm turbo and RPM stage 3 tune from Mario (among just about everything else I've upgraded over the years), finally have it consistently running up to 60mph in 4.5 secs, give or take depending on how well I launch it. Aside from that, they've improved handling even more than I thought possible, especially "on the limit" handling. That limit has virtually been erased. It's generating an insane amount of lateral G's at both Mazda Raceway in Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway.
Next step is to have the entirety of the fender line trim wrapped in gloss black to match! As soon as I can get those Duell AG folks to make me some side skirts, that is.

oh damn I just realized this probably should have ended up in the wheels/tires section ��

Last edited by cosmicamnesia; 04-28-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Moved it for you. Left a 1 month redirect in the original forum.

If you don't mind me asking, what did these cost you?

cosmicamnesia (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM
non-s
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I normally don't like the pinstripe on wheels but it looks clean on your mini, it's subtle enough and color matched so looks aces. Nice ride.

cosmicamnesia (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Moved it for you. Left a 1 month redirect in the original forum.

If you don't mind me asking, what did these cost you?

No I don't mind at all. And thank you much for moving the thread for me! also, I was giving the weight of forging pressure in lbs, when actually we're talking about tons. So Volk is forging at 10,000tons for their new wheels.

Anyways, back to the price. They were definitely not cheap, but if you compare it to HRE's pricing, or even a lot of BBS stuff, they are a bargain when you look at what you're getting. Not to throw shade at HRE, but they are basically designed to appeal to folks with way too much money to spend, so they take advantage of that as much as possible.
Volk is all about pushing forged wheels into the future and continually improving their product.
Anyways, I got a little bit of a discount and they were still about $800 or so per wheel after center caps but before tax (yes, unfortunately it is typical Volk to charge you an extra $50 - $80 per center cap, per wheel), so figure around an extra $200 for center caps if you want them, and you really don't want to leave that area open to the elements so it's basically a necessity.
Oh, and then because the wheels shipped with the very attractive but very RED high speed valve stem kit (they're only available with these wheels), I had to order a separate set of their forged blue valve stems, which was another extra hundred bucks for 4 (I still have the red ones if anyone is interested).
Thankfully Lyle didn't charge me much to do the rim stripes in blue (just $50 per wheel), which is the exact opposite of what I expected given the subtle complexity of the accent stripes (they're divided into separate sections, each of which is a different length and the striping is all recessed into the outer rim). So, all told, after tax and everything, it ended up costing me just around $4000 for the wheels alone, which I know is a bit eye watering for some folks, but one hour with them and you will not regret it at all.

Now compare that to HRE's wheels and prices... they don't do any forging in house (again, only Ray's really has the tech to keep everything in house), so you know off the bat that HRE's are coming from one of the very few foundries in the world that are capable of forging a wheel at 8000 tons of pressure (there are literally only about 3 foundries in the world with 8000ton forging presses), so Volk wins in that department by default with their entire new line forged at 10,000tons, vastly improving strength with the added benefit of even less weight than before and an even more dense form of their signature alloy.
A fully forged set of HRE's on the other hand, whether they're monoblock or multi-piece, isn't really going to be had for less than $10,000 (though they usually end up being multiples of $10k &#128563. HRE offers a "flow-formed" (cast) line, but a set of their cast wheels is basically the same price as a set of fully forged Volks (about 750 or so per wheel), which is just absurd. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen multi-piece, $20k HRE wheels break at the track, usually run by a rich Silicon Valley dude in a supercar he can't drive too well 😂.
I have yet to hear of any of the new one piece Volk's so much as bending, but they've pushed their tech far ahead of other companies with their latest generation of wheels.
Ray's/Volk really doesn't have competition in terms of performance and value for money when you look at the facts. Even BBS, who has great wheels, use a Japanese foundry for their forged line, but their pricing is nowhere near as stupid as HRE. Same with Yokohama's Advan wheels, they're forged at "the other" Japanese foundry along BBS and and many others, priced slightly below most Volk's. Ray's even added their own step to their JWL and euro TUV certifications (JWL-R) which adds further stress testing and some other secret stuff. They're honestly so well made that they barely need balanced.
There's also Ray's GramLights, which are a slightly more affordable line than the Volk Racing stuff, but very different design language and more multi-piece wheels than mono's.
If your car would look good with the standard red accents, I know theres still a set or two floating around the US. But don't discount the standard ZE40's either. Keep an eye on RavSpec's site, as they seem to be where a lot of the overstock or custom wheel orders that were cancelled end up going, and almost always for less than ordering them from the factory would cost. Ordering through them also means you don't have to deal with the often extensive wait time, as they're based in Florida and as far as I know, they only list wheels that are in their posession.
They had a set of custom Hyper Red standard ZE40's a few weeks back and my god, that color just screams. They're gorgeous. But the 3 standard paint options are Matte Blue gunmetal, Matte gray gunmetal and a beautiful bronze.
it's all about luck with RavSpec though. they either have what you want or they don't.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:24 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by non-s
I normally don't like the pinstripe on wheels but it looks clean on your mini, it's subtle enough and color matched so looks aces. Nice ride.

Thanks a lot dude! I actually don't always love pin-striped wheels either, or wheels with a bunch of logos but when done right I love it. If they weren't recessed into the wheel in segments like they are, they would look a lot different. The minute I saw the the first pictures of these I was sold, cause id been hovering over a set of Volk's for the Mini for months, and the design of the ZE40 was what I wanted, but the options then were blue gunmetal and bronze. As soon as I saw the "space black" finish on the Time Attack edition announcement, thats what did it for me. Aside from the red stripe, they were literally the wheels in my head. Plus they were only being produced from Sept '17 to Jan '18, so I knew this might be my only chance given Ray's/Volk's insane amount of demand compared to their actual supply. They won't ship anything until there's at least 40 wheels ordered and completed. And of course there's only one importer in the whole of North America (unless you have some friends in Japan who can buy them and ship them to you personally).

Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 PM
non-s
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice to have a rare item on your ride that you care about. Thats what it's all about! It's a little funny/ironic that the stock 15" holies my r50 came with were what initially drew my attention to the car when I was looking at it on classifieds. I love them! And don't see many holies, especially in white, in the area I live. Maybe down the road i'll get a dedicated summer/track tire and use the holies for winter tires.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 AM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by non-s
Nice to have a rare item on your ride that you care about. Thats what it's all about! It's a little funny/ironic that the stock 15" holies my r50 came with were what initially drew my attention to the car when I was looking at it on classifieds. I love them! And don't see many holies, especially in white, in the area I live. Maybe down the road i'll get a dedicated summer/track tire and use the holies for winter tires.
yeah I haven't seen a set of white holies in ages, until that is my current trip to Germany/belgium. I saw quite a few folks riding holies of all colors with pride on all different types of rides at my Nurburgring day. Not gonna forget that one anytime soon . That is one serious track. I did well, but jeez it's white knuckles the whole way.
I went in maybe a little too confidently after beating the FWD track records at Mazda Raceway and Sonoma, and placing in the top 3 FWD on Thunderhill, but I was in a RWD Cayman for my Nurburgring runs. Wish I had had a tuned Mini on hand to put in a few laps in a serious FWD car, but the Cayman was fantastic.