Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Winter Tires for F56 that don't suck

Old 10-03-2017, 07:43 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Winter Tires for F56 that don't suck

Hey All,

It's getting to be that time again. Temps are starting to fall, snow isn't all that far away, and I find myself with winter tires from last year that I hated. I bought Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires for my car last year, since they were the only direct-fit RFT option I could find that was from a reputable brand that wasn't studded. They're fine tires in the wet, in the dry, and in the cold but really suck compared to any studdless ice and snow tires I've ever had. I'm taking this to mean that "performance" winter tires suck, since reviews don't really show stand outs within that category.

I'd really like to find something that is a runflat, since dealing with plugs and compressors in frozen muck isn't really my idea of fun. Switching to a spare is one thing, but fiddling around in slushy muck to find a puncture that may or may not be road repairable sucks.

With that in mind, I'm looking at other options. They all seem to have cons though.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 - 205/45R17 - They're run flats, and made by Nokian so I'm sure they rock. They are studded, though, which I don't have any experience running. I'm worried about noise and tearing up roads with these.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 - 205/50R17 - Same pros/cons as last, just a taller sidewall.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT - 205/50R17 - These are classified as performance tires, but are allegedly somewhat more performant in snow than some perf tires. They're H rated, not V like the Pirellis, so maybe that is worth something. They're made for BMW models, which might also be worth something, but I have my doubts.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT - 205/45R17 - Same comments as the last one, minus the BMW stuff.

Continental TS830 P Contiseal - 205/50R17 - These aren't technically run flats, but do have self sealing tech built in.

The best obvious option I've come across is:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - 205/50R17 - These are one profile taller than stock, are available as run flats, and are not studded. They're not classified as performance tires. So far, they seem like the top contender. I can find nothing else that ticks all my boxes than this. They even have the right load rating and aren't excruciatingly priced.

Anyone know of something that fits MINI 17s that is a run flat that has real winter credentials? I know some of these have a load rating less than the car specs, more in some cases than others, but I've gone with lesser load ratings on enough cars in enough years in the past for winter use that I'm not really worried about it at the speeds I'll be traveling on a car with this car's curb weight. They wear quickly enough that wear patterns haven't been a problem for me (not that I've actually even encountered that).

--Matt

Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Get blizzaks lm-32 performance winter tire, then with the money you save not buying RFT, get a AAA membership and enjoy better handling all winter.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
It doesn't seem like those are really any better than the ones I have. Hard pass on waiting for AAA in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere. I either want run flats or a spare that can fit inside without making the back seat and/or trunk unusable. Haven't really seen an example of the latter.

--Matt

Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Well, they're not cheap in the run flat but I placed an order for the Nokian R2. Seems like they might be a week or 3 out. It's been cold and wet here, so I think I have to put the Pirellis back on for now.

--Matt

Old 11-03-2017, 11:10 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Well, I'm running on the Sottozeros at the moment. The Nokians are due to be installed Thursday. We'll see how they go. I've not found accounts of others running this size on an F56, but did find several without problems on R56s.

--Matt

Old 11-10-2017, 07:26 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Got a hundred or so miles on the new Hakka R2s. They seem to ride only slightly more "winter tire-y" than the Pirellis. There's some notable "balloniness" when in certain turning situations, as you'd expect with a proper winter tire, but nowhere near what you'd get with a Blizzak WS80 or Altimax Arctic. They're much closer to an eco-focused all season tire, than any studdable ice and snow tires I've ever had, in that department.

Ride comfort is a huge difference. They're much much more comfy than the Sottozeros. Not quite as comfortable as the Conti EC Sports I ran in the summer, but close. They definitely disguise surface abnormalities much better than the Pirellis. Not sure if the extra 1/2" of rubber is entirely to thank for all of that, or if the compound/tread pattern get some credit,, but I'll take it . They're also quite a lot quieter.
​​​​​
18°F outside now and light snow today, and I've got no qualms to report so far. No fitment concerns at all. We'll see how they do when some real snow falls.

--Matt

The following users liked this post:
Miata13 (02-21-2018)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:13 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Had a few hundred more miles of driving on them today, temps ranging from 22°F to 38°F. I'm very happy with the noise level and ride comfort, particularly at highway speeds. They definitely give up a bit in the traction department, when under power, as you'd expect from a tire in this category. Definitely within tolerable levels though.

--Matt

Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 AM
UW Mitch
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I really like my Conti extreme contact DWS (on my R53)

Old 11-12-2017, 01:00 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UW Mitch
I really like my Conti extreme contact DWS (on my R53)
Huh? DWS aren't winter tires.

--Matt

Old 11-12-2017, 01:12 PM
UW Mitch
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Huh? DWS aren't winter tires.

--Matt
I thought the S in DWS meant snow and the little M+S rating meant for snow. What defines a "winter tire"?

FWIW, if there's snow on the ground I'm driving my F250, so doesn't matter to me, but would matter to the OP if it's their only vehicle.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:20 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
DWS = Dry Wet Snow (aka All-Season)

Winter tires (often referred to as "Snow Tires") come in studded, studdable, studless, and performance classifications. All are constructed with tread patterns and materials designed for use below 45°F and the snow/ice/slush conditions that accompany those temperatures. They're required by law during winter months in many places, and outclass any all season tire I've come across in winter weather driving conditions. The compromise is generally in wet or warm weather traction.

--Matt

UW Mitch (11-12-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Nokian - Had those before, hard to find but awesome tires. My Vote for the Pirelli winter carvers, but they dont come in every size also. If you run studded you can drive pretty much on ice. Some states will not let you run studded. Also, the studs are loud, but they have great grip on roads that just had an ice storm hit.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Well, I've had some opportunities to drive in 10-15 degree weather and inches of snow/slush at this point an I can say with confidence that the Hakkapeliitta R2 does not suck. They're head and shoulders above the Sottozero 3 in all inclement weather conditions I've experienced thus far, which are pretty close to the mild stuff we saw here last winter.

Definitely would buy again. They drive like proper winter tires, and seem to have a bit less compromise than others I've driven in less icky conditions.

--Matt

Miata13 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Well, I've had some opportunities to drive in 10-15 degree weather and inches of snow/slush at this point an I can say with confidence that the Hakkapeliitta R2 does not suck. They're head and shoulders above the Sottozero 3 in all inclement weather conditions I've experienced thus far, which are pretty close to the mild stuff we saw here last winter.

Definitely would buy again. They drive like proper winter tires, and seem to have a bit less compromise than others I've driven in less icky conditions.

--Matt
Thanks Matt for your feedback on your Hakka R2 winter tires. I'm currently running the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 on my R59 and like their dry winter driving performance...but they're certainly not optimal in real snowy conditions. I've previously had the previous verion Hakka R on my Miatas....lasted a long time but were $$$ which is the only reason I didn't buy them for the MINI. May have to re-consider them for the Roadster after this 3rd winter on the Pirellis based upon your feedback.

Search this Thread