Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best riding touring tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Thanatoz
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best riding touring tire

I had to drive the wife back from a Dr. appointment today and was shocked how horrible the ride in her 2013 R56 was with the Conti RF tires. I have been surfing about the Interwebs all day looking for a good set of all-season touring tires, but most people want grippy sport tires. (totally understandable BTW) It's the wife's car so it doesn't get driven like it should. I had Conti DWS06 on my R58 and loved it (till some punk in a GTI totaled both cars). I am leaning towards those but wanted to know if there was something with even a more comfortable ride out there.

The following users liked this post:
minihune (10-04-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM
cjjca
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure of tire size on the 2013 R56, but I have run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my 2005 R53 and the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on our 2014 R55. The ride is extremely better than the Continental RF that were OE on the R55.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Old 10-04-2017, 03:30 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
What tire size are you looking for?

For best blend of comfortable lower noise ride with longer tread life look at Grand Touring All Season tires.

If you want more grip and better handling with good treadlife then Ultra High Performance All Season tires. But you do give up some comfort and ride quality.

If you choose a tire size with a taller sidewall that can help soften the ride.

Runflats have a stiff sidewall to work when the tire has low air pressure so ride quality is harsh and only gets worse with age and mileage. Combined with a stiff MINI suspension and it can be jarring over bad roads.

The following users liked this post:
Timshel R53 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:42 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm running the Discount Tire 'captive' brand on my R55. Barum Bravuris 3HM, Czech company, owned by Continental, my tires were made in France. Quiet, smooth riding (215/45-17), good grip.

I've put 6,000 miles on a set. Happy camper (as is my pocket book).

Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Me too on the Barum tires. They are not RF

Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tio Barry
Me too on the Barum tires. They are not RF
By no means!

The best RF touring tire is probably the new Bridgestone Driveguard, but I'm not sure they wave a 45-series tire.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 AM
'05Train
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The DriveGuard is awfully good.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:43 PM
mini on
4th Gear
I recently bought my second Mini and the previous owner had just had the Drive whatevers put on at the dealer. I bought an 11 s with 42,000 miles and there was no way I was going to drive any further on those runflats. Discount Tire did give me 50 a tire. So many threads about runflats here on NAM. Manhole covers don't feel like potholes anymore. Again IMO and many others there isn't a good riding r/f to be had. Got a phone help will come.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
again I'll say that RF's on the Mrs car has allowed her to get off the interstate and HOME with a flat .....

no rf's, she's on the shoulder of I-95 at what time of the night?

We HAVE AAA .... it still takes time for them to get there and they do NOT have replacement tires ... all they can do is TOW if there is no spare to put on.

different strokes for different folks ..... MiNi On

iow the rf decision MAY involve factors other than your (subjective) ride considerations .....

I mean if you buy a "sports car" ... do you expect a smooth ride???????

OR: why do so many MINI owners add stiffer sway bars which increase the 'ride discomfort'? ... curiously at the same time they ditch rf's for being too stiff .....

Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
again I'll say that RF's on the Mrs car has allowed her to get off the interstate and HOME with a flat .....

no rf's, she's on the shoulder of I-95 at what time of the night?

We HAVE AAA .... it still takes time for them to get there and they do NOT have replacement tires ... all they can do is TOW if there is no spare to put on.

different strokes for different folks ..... MiNi On

iow the rf decision MAY involve factors other than your (subjective) ride considerations .....

I mean if you buy a "sports car" ... do you expect a smooth ride???????

OR: why do so many MINI owners add stiffer sway bars which increase the 'ride discomfort'? ... curiously at the same time they ditch rf's for being too stiff .....
meet the flintstones

Old 12-20-2017, 05:00 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I too hate runflats, they are far worse than the stiffest swaybars on my car, in fact the stiff sway does not affect the ride enough for me to notice.

The new continental extreme contact sport are getting really good reviews, I use dws 06 on my 540i and I like them for daily driving