Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

F Model Wheel / Tire Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
F Model Wheel / Tire Options

I know this is not a new discussion, but the options change constantly. I have a 2017 F56 JCW with 17" Track Spoke wheels and the standard Pirelli run-flat tires.

I have added the NM 25 MM rear bar and CravenSpeed Big Pair and the result is that the stock configuration cannot keep up.

However, in the spirit of domestic bliss and improved performance, I am looking at three options:

1) Replace wheels and tires, but do I stay with 17s or move up to 18s

2) Replace the stock wheels with NM RESe05 and run the existing tires until they die

3) Keep the factory wheels and replace the tires with better rubber

Obviously Option 1 is the preferred options, but Options 2 & 3 are better from other perspectives.

Appreciate your views.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Stock runflat Tires are the weakest link. Whatever you do, replace them, or you will be unhappy with the results.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Look at weight too. HUGE improvements can be made. Like Dunk said, tires are #1, but even 'normal' tires will be an improvement based on weight alone.

If you get wheels, research weight too. Lighter the better. 18's could help as rubber weighs more than alloys usually. Finding a light 18 and good tires will be very beneficial.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:02 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome tothe world of 18" RFT

I went with the free rubber to get the OEM JCW 18" wheels (the rims were not cheaper, than getting the Dealer Wheel and Tire Package, that come with RFT). I like the improved grip (over the 17" all season rubber, tenfold!!!).

But these damn RFT, or rather, todays rubber simply can't hold up to todays roads.

Frustrating. Took the dealer 48hrs to track a tire and get it installed (I have MINI Tire Care/Wheel)... At least it was Painless on the Wallet.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:13 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
My experience with RFTs (two previous MINIs and a BMW X1) has been awful. Terrible ride quality, poor handling, easy to damage, hard to fix, and they're never in stock. I'm still amazed that BMW/MINI keep pushing them.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:19 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
My experience with RFTs (two previous MINIs and a BMW X1) has been awful. Terrible ride quality, poor handling, easy to damage, hard to fix, and they're never in stock. I'm still amazed that BMW/MINI keep pushing them.
They keep pushing RFT's because there's no spare is my guess. I've never had them before so it's a new experience for me. I will probably kick myself when I finally go with regular tires at some point but I really have no real complaints for now overall. Only thing I've noticed is my summer Pirelli P7's can lose grip easily during spirited driving!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:10 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Prior to RFT

Before the advent of Run Flat Tires, BMW or Mercedes started this nonnsense* (or so I thought) of doing away with the spare tire. In the 1st generation of NO Spare On Board, there was a "Kit" supplied.

Basically the "Kit" involved a precharged can of tire sealant and inert gas. The gas to fill the tire up (in the case of a leak or flat) and the sealant as the stop gap to temporarily plug the leak. It still requires afterwards, to service the wheel and tire (needs to be washed and cleaned internally).

*nonsense= at first I thought so too, but really, for the masses, who is going to stop and change over there wheel and tire (the "lady" of your life, the senior 65 and over, or the middle of the night in rain or freezing weather etc..). So I get it, it makes sense.

NOT on a JCW though lol... I would of went with non RFT, and the tire kit.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:36 AM
AliH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the same situation as the OP....But decided to keep the 17 OEMs and change the rubber. Anyone know if the OEM track wheel can accommodate wider tires? 215 versus 205? Thanks

Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
Before the advent of Run Flat Tires, BMW or Mercedes started this nonnsense* (or so I thought) of doing away with the spare tire. In the 1st generation of NO Spare On Board, there was a "Kit" supplied.

Basically the "Kit" involved a precharged can of tire sealant and inert gas. The gas to fill the tire up (in the case of a leak or flat) and the sealant as the stop gap to temporarily plug the leak. It still requires afterwards, to service the wheel and tire (needs to be washed and cleaned internally).

*nonsense= at first I thought so too, but really, for the masses, who is going to stop and change over there wheel and tire (the "lady" of your life, the senior 65 and over, or the middle of the night in rain or freezing weather etc..). So I get it, it makes sense.

NOT on a JCW though lol... I would of went with non RFT, and the tire kit.
When I ordered my Clubman S All4, for $100 a spare with tool kit could be added, and the Clubman has plenty of room for a spare & kit in the rear lower compartment. Adds very little weight.

Within the first 1,000 miles my run flats were removed and bagged and stored in my garage, to be re-mounted on lease return in 3 years time.

The non run flats so improved the ride and handling it is just criminal that MINI makes motorers suffer -- it's just a shame that so many will never know the ride and handling that is possible with better rubber.

I know the issue for you JCW (non-Clubman) people is no space for a spare, so this complicates matters. But, FWIW, I'm glad I ditched the run flats, and my AAA card will allow me to stay out of the rain and away from weaving drunks looking to hit people changing tires on the side of the expressway.

In all fairness, the latest generation of run flats is better than what was available before. But run flat sidewalls are run flat sidewalls, and they do not optimize ride or handling, especially on lower profile tires.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:24 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
If I ever take my JCW HT on an extended trip you can bet I will have the rear seats folded down & be equipped with my jack and spare wheel & tire, whether I'm running runflats or regular tires!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
They keep pushing RFT's because there's no spare is my guess. I've never had them before so it's a new experience for me. I will probably kick myself when I finally go with regular tires at some point but I really have no real complaints for now overall. Only thing I've noticed is my summer Pirelli P7's can lose grip easily during spirited driving!
RF tires are very common in Europe. These are for the most part tailor fit to your model MINI and developed / tested on the Autobahn....and to some degree, is what gives the MINI the "train on rails" feel for the road.

Also, since they can be driven on, much safer than sitting at side of road, even if just waiting for AAA. Seen many Troopers even with lights flashing get rear-ended while parked....

Certain RF Tires are better than others, and for the most part like anything else, you get what you pay for. While the Pirelli's are cheapest of the bunch, ride is not as good, they tend to develop irregularities due to MINI's OEM camber settings and wear out much faster than the Conti's. Also, in wet weather driving, when Pirelli's lose grip in a turn, they will never regain traction until the vehicle comes to a complete stop against a guardrail or other hard object as if sliding on black ice....This has been true since making the P6 Model tire back in 1981.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Sorry, but not a fan of run-flats. My experience is that they are the most prone to failure and the least available for replacement. If you live in an urban area, I'm sure they provide a degree of security. Otherwise, they are substandard in every performance measure, they are difficult to source, and are very expensive. And ... there's a reason to like them?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 PM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
At least in the US, in my opinion, it has far less to do with how a run flat naturally is, but rather how terrible most stock tires are. My thought is this, companies like the VW group have a huge number of very fuel efficient little engined cars to bring up gas mileage when they put nice Michelin of Bridgestone summer tires on their GTI, however, BMWs small engine fuel efficient car IS the MINI, meaning thin, low rolling resistance tires HAVE to come standard.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
I ordered the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 215/45-17 and mounted them on the factory Track Spokes, fully expecting them to fit just fine. Guess what ... they rub against the front struts. It's not a hard rub as I can slip a few sheets of paper between the sidewall and the strut when it's sitting still, but it's close enough to rub when there is deflection.

So ... just to let everyone know ... not all 215s fit with no clearance issues ... MINI made the clearances pretty tight.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
That sucks! It is true that fitment/clearance can depend on the chosen tire shape. Apparently your extreme contacts are just a bit too extreme! ;-). What are you going to do?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Ordered 10 mm spacers from ECS ... that should be more than enough to handle it.

The Continentals have a wider cross section than most of the other tires in that size, but not by much.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:05 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Ordered 10 mm spacers from ECS ... that should be more than enough to handle it.

The Continentals have a wider cross section than most of the other tires in that size, but not by much.

If the track spokes have an offset of 54 that would push out your wheel for an offset of about 44. You should be fine! It just sucks that the JCW wheels won't fit on a JCW lol! I see another set of wheels in your future!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:46 AM
AliH
1st Gear
I spoke to Tirerack yesterday about 225 for the OEM Track wheels and they told me that it will not fit for sure but that 215 is fine. I am glad you shared your experience....I guess I will need spacers.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:20 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
I spoke to Tirerack yesterday about 225 for the OEM Track wheels and they told me that it will not fit for sure but that 215 is fine. I am glad you shared your experience....I guess I will need spacers.
That may not be true as the Continentals have a wider section width than some of the others. It is at 8.5". Some of the others are not so wide (8.3 - 8.4) and may work without spacers.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:40 AM
AliH
1st Gear
That may not be true as the Continentals have a wider section width than some of the others. It is at 8.5". Some of the others are not so wide (8.3 - 8.4) and may work without spacers.
I was going for the Contis as well....But need to figure out spacers if I go that way. The other tires I am looking into Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Bridgestone S04 are 8.4". Not that big of difference given your information. They might require spacers as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:20 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
ECS Tuning is a good source for spacers. They have quite a variety ... just check whether they are in stock before you order. The normally have that info on their site.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:40 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
ECS spacers worked like a charm. I'm really pleased with the 215/45-17 with 10 mm spacers. It changes the look in a very subtle, but noticeable way. It's one of those things that would be hard to notice, but if you put two identical cars (one with the factory setup and one with the mod) it is evident immediately. Looks much more aggressive and now I like my black track spokes ... was not sure before. I'm really happy with the result ... just enough to make a difference, but not too much.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 PM
AliH
1st Gear
Can you share pictures of your car?

ECS spacers worked like a charm. I'm really pleased with the 215/45-17 with 10 mm spacers. It changes the look in a very subtle, but noticeable way. It's one of those things that would be hard to notice, but if you put two identical cars (one with the factory setup and one with the mod) it is evident immediately. Looks much more aggressive and now I like my black track spokes ... was not sure before. I'm really happy with the result ... just enough to make a difference, but not too much.
Would be great to see how it looks with 10mm...Pictures please!

Old 07-29-2017, 11:23 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
Like I said, the change is very subtle but it is noteceable.

The following 2 users liked this post by rtowell:
AliH (08-09-2017), ECSTuning (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Wow, that looks great!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: F Model Wheel / Tire Options