Winter Tires - North American Motoring

Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Winter Tires

Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Winter Tires

I purchased my 2013 Mini in the spring (when the snow is done in Northern Illinois) with performance tires on it already. I was thinking about picking up 4 plain-jane rims and all-season tires to get me through the winter. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2017, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

I just put on a set of studded General Altimax Arctic tires on my old 15"x5.5" base R56 wheels. $65 a tire at Discount Tire (they also make a non-studded version). They don't make a 175/65R15 (OEM size), but the 185/65R15 they do make fits just fine (only 0.2" taller than OEM 205/45R17 tire).

General is owned by Continental and the tires are manufactured in Germany.

Last edited by entropy1; 07-11-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM
4th Gear

On a 2013 Cooper S you might need to get at least 16" rims to clear the brakes. Surf Craigslist for a set of OEM 16" wheels. You can probably find a set for cheap. Then add a set of 205/50-16 General Altimax Arctics.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65frank View Post
I purchased my 2013 Mini in the spring (when the snow is done in Northern Illinois) with performance tires on it already. I was thinking about picking up 4 plain-jane rims and all-season tires to get me through the winter. Any suggestions?
The title of your post says "Winter Tires," then you inquire about picking up "all-season tires." Two different animals.

If it's winter tires you want:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, look no further; none better...

If it's all-season tires you want, be forewarned that there is not an all-season tire in existence that can compete with a dedicated winter tire:

I run Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 on my '04 R53 and love them in the wet, dry & very, light snow, but when more of the white stuff (like you'll get in Northern Illinois) is on the road, the Nokians are put on.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:56 AM
5th Gear

When I lived in wisconsin I found a set of OEM mini rims for pretty cheap and then put blizzaks on them. Can't go wrong with blizzaks
Old 07-15-2017, 11:05 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65frank View Post
If you're getting a 2nd set of rims anyway, you might as well get dedicated snow tires instead of all seasons. The all seasons will only give you traction for a few more degrees of temp drop as compared to your summers and light snow traction. Just get the snows and you'll be better served in the white stuff.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

I live in NE Ohio and bought a second set of OEM wheels and Blizzaks for winter. Three winters here and the tires are still in great shape.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

A little late to the thread, but if you're still shopping....I did the same thing living in Chicago (and now in Michigan), but with Dunlop 3d run-flats. They're not as badass on the snow and ice as the Nokians or Blizzaks, but they're much better on dry (or at least clear) pavement. And let's face it, in a northern Illinois winter, you're still going to be on pavement most of the time, and the best snow tires are awfully squishy for pavement use. The Dunlops are plenty adequate; my limiting factor in deep snow is usually the amount of snow washing up the hood and over the windshield so I can't see. Or else it's the clown in front of me with bald tires and RWD.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 AM
4th Gear

One thing to be careful of is to be sure the TPMS sensors are the same in the winter wheels as your summer wheels.

Tags
rims and hubs, winter tires