Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Are R85 wheels susceptible to getting bent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM
asylum sound
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are R85 wheels susceptible to getting bent?

NAM
I've had my '05 MCS for just over a year, and have had two rims/wheels (17" R85, S-lite I think) getting bent from the wonderful roads here in Baltimore.

Are these more prone to getting bent than other wheels? Or, is it just a hazard of low-profile wheels?

Anyone else experience this?
thanks
asylum sound

S-lite R85 wheels...prone to getting bent?

Old 06-05-2017, 04:39 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
It's more the hazard of low profile tires than an inherent issue with that specific wheel design. I've gotten 2 flats from interstate potholes on 17" mini wheels (crown spokes, basically the R56 version of s lites) and countless other harsh impacts. Nature of the beast unfortunately. Low profile tires plus extremely stiff run flats equals little cushioning for potholes

Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
17" usually are matched with 205/45-17 or 215/45-17 size tires. When possible to reduce risk of damage to tire, wheel or suspension you can try for a softer sidewall tire like Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 or similar. 215/45-17 has a slightly taller sidewall than the OEM size.

S-lite wheels are not more prone to damage but bad roads are hard on all wheels from 17" on up in diameter.

Another alternative is to move to 16" wheels and 205/55-16 tires but you still have to not hit potholes or the risk is still there potentially

Old 06-07-2017, 09:57 AM
asylum sound
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ... i now have a plan

Thanks to minihune and 3lusive for the replies.
I posted the original post while Lola was being fitted with new BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S. I kept the 205/45-17 size...I didn't even think of going to 215...

My plan is to see if I get another bent rim....and yes I try to avoid the potholes but its like playing "Frogger" in Baltimore! If I do bend another rim, I will be changing to 16" rims at the next tire change.

BTW - I also asked the tire shop about these rims. He gave me 2 replies:
1. Don't buy a racehorse if you dont want to feed it.
2. Do you know what BMW stands for? Bent. My. Wheel.

Thanks again NAM!
Asylum Sound

Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
LOL the tire shop knows BMWs.

Bad roads will require adjustments.

I have 15", 16" and 17" wheels for my 2003 MCS. No JCW front brakes so I can use any of these sizes.

For bad roads I use 15" wheels and 195/60-15 Grand Touring tires which work very well and reduce risk while being easy to live with for daily driving. When I put on 17" wheels and run 205/45-17 it's pretty harsh and bumpy but I have adjustable coilover suspension. Risk of damage is bad but ride quality on bad roads is not fun and always worrisome. I save the low profile tires for track or driving events.

Comp-s A/S should be OK for you, next time consider 215/45-17 and see what other tire models are possible. That size works well for OEM suspension/wheels and street use.