Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bridgestone Driveguard review

Old 02-20-2017, 03:22 PM
srinimini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Driveguard review

After much contemplation, I decided to stick with run flat tires (RFT) for the MCS and give RFTs another chance. Based on all my hours of research, I chose the bridgestone driveguard RTFs and also went slightly wider 205-55/16 on all four corners.
And boy, what a difference they have made! I’m amazed that I’m actually driving on RFTs. These tires are so much more comfortable, not every bump is a bone shattering affair and the road noise has considerably reduced. I can actually listen to the radio and have a conversation without having to yell! The ride has become a little mushy (not terrible). The car has lost a little bit of that “go kart” feeling. Only slightly… but, I’m willing to make that compromise for everyday driving. The steering response is still great and the ride is still sporty/firm. These are all season tires. So don't expect to set any autocross lap records .
They are decent in the twisties under hard cornering. I went out in the rain yesterday on some twisties. I felt much more confident on the wet roads compared to the factory contis. I have yet to push them really hard in the dry.
Overall these are fantastic tires! I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to stick with RFTs but, at the same time have much better driving comfort and above average performance.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I put 18" Bridgestone Driveguards on my Countryman in October after my research yielded the same results. Roads in central PA have been crappy ever since, but they do OK in the snow and muck. Just now ready for a rotation after 3000 miles. So far I like them. I honestly haven't looked at the wear. I hope they live up to the ratings.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:38 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Bridgestone Runflats

Originally Posted by srinimini
After much contemplation, I decided to stick with run flat tires (RFT) for the MCS and give RFTs another chance. Based on all my hours of research, I chose the bridgestone driveguard RTFs and also went slightly wider 205-55/16 on all four corners.
And boy, what a difference they have made! I’m amazed that I’m actually driving on RFTs. These tires are so much more comfortable, not every bump is a bone shattering affair and the road noise has considerably reduced. I can actually listen to the radio and have a conversation without having to yell! The ride has become a little mushy (not terrible). The car has lost a little bit of that “go kart” feeling. Only slightly… but, I’m willing to make that compromise for everyday driving. The steering response is still great and the ride is still sporty/firm. These are all season tires. So don't expect to set any autocross lap records .
They are decent in the twisties under hard cornering. I went out in the rain yesterday on some twisties. I felt much more confident on the wet roads compared to the factory contis. I have yet to push them really hard in the dry.
Overall these are fantastic tires! I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to stick with RFTs but, at the same time have much better driving comfort and above average performance.
I replaced my original tires with Bridgestone ultra performance all-seasons and the ride improvement was quite substantial. I noticed that on center the play was slightly greater, but after the play , the tires handled better. I think that the tires are RE960AS.

Last edited by dpcompt; 02-28-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: change
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
I have the Driveguards as the factory tires on my car and they are very slippery. They ride OK but I've never been confident with their handling characteristics on an otherwise stock R53. I'm not impressed at all. I won't toss them, but I won't run them in the summer and I won't buy them again.

I'm in south central PA and our roads are garbage.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
I have the Driveguards as the factory tires on my car and they are very slippery. They ride OK but I've never been confident with their handling characteristics on an otherwise stock R53. I'm not impressed at all. I won't toss them, but I won't run them in the summer and I won't buy them again.

I'm in south central PA and our roads are garbage.
Be glad you didn't have the stock continentals that came with my R56. Average dry grip, scary wet grip, loud, bone hard ride and only lasted 30k miles. Was so glad to get rid of them, the driveguards are leagues better in every category including price (they go on sale at costco periodically). "

Not sure how your R53 is dampened but the regular, non sport suspension on my S has horrible oem shocks. Hit a bump mid corner and the car wants to skiddish out of the lane, scary. Cant wait to replace with koni fsd when the time is right.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
My car has the factory non-JCW suspension. It's not great but it's not going anywhere for now.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM
cptplt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd summer I will have had the Driveguards on my 12 Justa. I like them a lot. They ride better than the stock Contis or the Dunlop wintersports RF I used to have for winter. Better wet traction than the Contis. Have Nokian D3 runflats for this last winter. Better than the Dunlops. I honestly can't tell the difference between the ride of the Nokian RF on the Mini or the Nokian non runflat on the WRX.

Search this Thread