Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Continental ExtremeContactDWS06?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM
PrettyChili
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental ExtremeContactDWS06?

I have an '05 MINI S Convertible (manual) and am replacing the original Dunlop runflats. I think I've settled on the Continentals, but wondered if anyone here has reported having problems with these all-season Continental (non-runflats)?

I'd like something that drives well in all weather conditions. I drive spirited sometimes, sometimes not (depending on who's in my rearview mirror)

Tire size 205-45-17

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Twelve years on the original tires!

I have the DWS06 on the Countryman, handles well and less road noise than original RFs. For the winter we do switch to dedicated snows which was needed when my son took the car into mountain passes, etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a sporty handling all-season tire DWS06 is an excellent handling option in winter conditions. Good choice, and very popular on the Mini.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I had them on my AWD Jaguar, quiet, handled well in all weather conditions.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
I run the DWS06's on my '04 and they're a fantastic tire; grippy in the dry, equally great in rain, quiet, they wear great, and not bad if you run into a light coating of snow, although I'd refrain from 'spirited' driving on snow/ice road conditions.

That said, they (as with all-season tire) are not ideal if the winter conditions are worse; i.e., ice, deeper snow... If you're looking at driving in more harsh winter conditions, I'd recommend a second set of wheels with a dedicated snow tire. I'm partial to the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (below) for that task. Night and day in the white stuff when compared to an all-season tire.

If you have a garage, you can do as I do and change to the winter wheel/tire setup only when there's snow on the roads (or forecast), and take them off when the roads are clear - thus preserving your winter tires, as well as getting more "quality time" with the DWS06's. With a small car such as the MINI where the jack brings up the entire side of the car, it's a 15-minute job to swap all-four tires out.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 02-15-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 02-24-2017, 10:20 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm running a set of DWS06's now and they've been great - we haven't had a lot of snow this winter, but they were fine when there was 3 to 4 inches on the road. My wife has been running some Hakkapeliitta's on her Cooper for the last few winters and they are fantastic.