Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 AM
fastjohnny
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run flat tires

I want to get away from the run flat tires. Is there anything special about the 16" rims on a 2004 Cooper?

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Nope. I've got conventional tires on the 16" rims on my '07 R52 and they're great. I also just took the run flats off my F56 yesterday and it feels like a brand new car.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Tires is tires. What do the numbers say on the side of your RFs (that's not Rat Fink, BTW) and find your local tire guy who has all seasons with the same numbers. Maybe something close to 215/40/16 or thereabout.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:16 AM
fastjohnny
1st Gear
They say 195/55/r16.
They are Bridgestone Run Flat tires.....never liked Bridgestone - at least on a motorcycle -
Any brand recommendations?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
205/50/16 and 205/55/16 are the two most popular substitutes for the stock 195/55/16 size.
I think 205/50/16 is the best size, but there is more and better selection in 205/55/16.
215/50/16 and 215/45/16 will also work, but selection is very limited in those sizes.
215/40/16 is a little too short.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
hard to believe this is the first time this topic has been discussed here

ask 3 people get 6 opinions . . . {for example "all seasons" YUK .... what a way to cut performance from day one .... BUT I live down south so I don't NEED all seasons ....}

one is truth

try SEARCH

Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
They say 195/55/r16.
They are Bridgestone Run Flat tires.....never liked Bridgestone - at least on a motorcycle -
Any brand recommendations?
The topic of what tires to use for OEM 16" wheels has been discussed before.
Nothing special about MINI 16" wheels however if your MINI is at least 4 years old you might want to ask for a maintenance kit for each TPMS valve before you put on new tires. Often there is corrosion in the valve and if it fails you will need to dismount the tire.

Unless you want runflats again (you indicated not) you don't want 195/55-16.

Based on the OEM tire diameter which you want to match as best you can, the previously mentioned 205/50-16 or 205/55-16 are common choices. Both sizes will work fine for OEM wheels and suspension.

For those with a lowered suspension, 205/50-16 is a better choice.

Whether you shop for summer or all season tires doesn't matter if you only do street driving, own a base Cooper, or live in areas with mild winter weather.

Summer tires will need temperatures of above 38 degrees and will tend to wear out faster.

There are very good handling all season tires that are comfortable riding, look for Ultra High Performance All Season or Grand Touring All Season tire classes.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:14 AM
user 470223
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did the same thing with my MCS using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and love it. Completely different car.

I got a Dynaplug kit for a little flat tire security.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
unfortunately the pilot sport as/3 doesn't come in 205/50/16.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 AM
fastjohnny
1st Gear
Thanks for all the info, people! I can see right now that this forum is going to be quite helpful.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:21 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gjxj
unfortunately the pilot sport as/3 doesn't come in 205/50/16.
Yes, it does:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SAS3&tab=Sizes

Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Yes, it does:
thanks, actually notice it is not in the size chart on that page, and says limited availability. Better order quick i guess..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gjxj
thanks, actually notice it is not in the size chart on that page, and says limited availability. Better order quick i guess..
205/50-16 was not in the sizes chart because it was currently selected. It is back ordered and may soon be replaced by the A/S 3+. Quite a few other sizes are also in short supply.

OTOH, if a size doesn't sell well Michelin is quick to eliminate it from production as was the Pilot Sport A/S 3 175/65-15.

Last edited by hsautocrosser; 04-10-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: 'cause I wanted to
Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Dudskie
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for this noob question, so most of the cars with RFT does not have a spare tire right? I have a run flat comes with my 2015 4dr S, and planning to replace them (when its ready to be replace) with a regular tire. Where is the sensor located at for the tire? Thanks

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Your 2004 (the original poster of this thread) does not have TPMS sensors. You can use regular non-runflat tires. Fact is, the first gen MINIs (R53/R50 gen) were not originally designed to use runflat tires anyways. Any width under, say 195, are what I might consider snowtire width. You will get better wet traction, and slightly better fuel economy and less road noise, but ultimate grip in dry handling will be a bit below what your MINI is capable of. Of course, if you want a wider tire, you'll probably need the wheels to accommodate them.

If you get new wheels, make sure you get the wheel dealer to test fit them. I've seen a few MINIs out there with strange offsets. You might need spacers if you like the look of those wheels, but don't have a direct fit.

Also, if you choose to go to a smaller wheel, such as a 16 or (especially) a 15" wheel, make sure you have brake clearance. I have less than 1/4" clearance on my 15" snowtire wheels from hitting the brake calipers. I was told some may not fit.

Problem with goofing around with different tire sizes, or even different tires, they affect handling feel. That feel is usually subjective so take everybody's opinions here with a grain of salt. You may not like what each one of us are looking for in how our own individual car feels in cornering. It's all usually up to personal preference. In normal street driving, 99.5% of us actually never get to the limits of what our MINIs are capable of safely.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Reset Tire Monitor

Hi there! If you need to, here is how you can reset the flat tire monitor on 2002-2006 Cooper and Cooper S, and 2007 Cooper and S models.

http://new.minimania.com/Resetting_t...t_Tire_Monitor

Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Fact is, the first gen MINIs (R53/R50 gen) were not originally designed to use runflat tires anyways

got a reference for this ... or is it opinion?

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-11-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Andy Burton
Neutral
Hi, New here but my wife has had a Mini for a few years and just upgraded to a 2013 Clubman S. I went to get here new tires and do not want run-flats. the garage wouldn't install them and gave the following as a reason:
"In this particular case, for the safety of yourself and your passengers it is our policy not to replace runflat tires with conventional tires. We created this policy to protect both the consumer and our retail locations. Vehicles that come equipped with runflat tires are engineered specifically for these types of tires to provide the expected handling, steering responsiveness and safety characteristics for that vehicle."
Is there any validity to this statement? Or is just general BS so they can sell me tires costing twice as much?
many thanks.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Burton
"In this particular case, for the safety of yourself and your passengers it is our policy not to replace runflat tires with conventional tires. We created this policy to protect both the consumer and our retail locations. Vehicles that come equipped with runflat tires are engineered specifically for these types of tires to provide the expected handling, steering responsiveness and safety characteristics for that vehicle."
Yes there is some truth to that statement but I think their position is to cover their *** from any legal problems that could arise. Runflats do handle differently (firmer) and respond to steering inputs differently (quicker). Runflats are theoretically a safer tire but they have their own set of problems. The decision is really yours so if you want non runflats you'll need to find a different installer.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
The third sentence is totally false. BMWs and MINIs are offered with or without runflats around the world. MINIs with 15" wheels have always been equipped with non-runflats. The suspensions are the same whether fitted with 15" or larger optional tires at the factory. The F56 can be fitted with 15" or 16" non-runflat tires. The new BMW X1 has a non-runflat factory option in 18" tires. Neither requires a suspension change.

The liability issue is a red herring. A signed acknowledgement from the customer would waive all liability for fitting non-runflat tires at the customer's request. We signed such a document when we bought our latest hybrid acknowledging that it was not a plug-in electric vehicle.

I would not personally patronize any business with such a misleading policy.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:50 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dudskie
Sorry for this noob question, so most of the cars with RFT does not have a spare tire right? I have a run flat comes with my 2015 4dr S, and planning to replace them (when its ready to be replace) with a regular tire. Where is the sensor located at for the tire? Thanks
The sensor is attached to the valve stem inside the wheel. The tire must be displaced on the rim or removed to get to it. I can not speak to whether your car has a spare or where it would be. Your operator's manual can.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Andy Burton
Neutral
Yes, I sent them a terse note suggesting their policy was a little off and told them they had lost a customer.
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-19-2016, 07:59 PM
aggst1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Andy Burton
Yes, I sent them a terse note suggesting their policy was a little off and told them they had lost a customer.
Thanks for the feedback!
Good for you. I hate it when businesses use safety as an excuse to sell you what they want. It works for them because an average person doesn't know any better nor they should.

Last week I had a similar experience with a local Costco tire center. I had ordered non RFT tires and went in to get them installed. This is my first tire swap on my 2014 Clubman S, so when they saw the original RFTs they said "sir, your car requires RFT tires". I told them it doesn't require anything, and if they insist I would show them the owners manual. They said but you have no spare, and I said "that's my business isn't it?" I do have a spare donut on order anyway. What I didn't like is their attitude. They finally agreed to install the non-RFT tires but only after they said they are not liable for tire damage caused by me driving after a tire gets a flat... I said "that's the way it's been since 1896 the day of the first automobile!!! You get a flat and you pull over... Amazing!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
That's the first time I've heard of Costco installing non run flats without a spare. I just bought new tires at an indy shop owned by the local VW dealer, no problems. But I can respect that if they don't want the liability then they should stick to the policy. You know that someone has or will sue because they got stranded without a spare.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 PM
aggst1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
That's the first time I've heard of Costco installing non run flats without a spare. I just bought new tires at an indy shop owned by the local VW dealer, no problems. But I can respect that if they don't want the liability then they should stick to the policy. You know that someone has or will sue because they got stranded without a spare.
And that's exactly what's wrong with our society. Anyone can call a lawyer and sue for anything... No matter how ridiculous a case they have. If I get stranded due to any mechanical reason I call for help. Why should anyone not do the same with a flat and call their attorney instead? Because they can...

Last edited by aggst1; 05-19-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Run flat tires