Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Have you switched out your OEM brake pads?

Old 06-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you switched out your OEM brake pads?

If you've switched out your OEM brake pads for after market pads, which pads are you using?

What difference in performance in normal sedate driving?

What difference in performance in spirited twisties or auto-X driving?

What difference in dusting?

When you replace these pads will you stick with this brand/model or try something else?

Old 06-20-2004, 04:56 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Search for EBC green or Mintex Redbox pads

Originally Posted by Nick_T.
If you've switched out your OEM brake pads for after market pads, which pads are you using?

What difference in performance in normal sedate driving?

What difference in performance in spirited twisties or auto-X driving?

What difference in dusting?

When you replace these pads will you stick with this brand/model or try something else?
Nick_T.,
This topic has been discussed many times before.
The two pads commonly used are EBC green for about $80 front and $80 rear or Mintex Redbox for about half that cost each axle.

In sedate normal street driving-there isn't much to notice.
On hard stopping the aftermarket pads are about the same or a little better-it's close.

In autocross the EBC green and Mintex do fine. But the stock pads do fine most of the time too.

In light track and driving school- you can overheat the stock pads and boil the brake fluid. EBC green does OK and if you work the brakes enough you can start to get some fade with the Mintex.

For light track/track you might consider Ferrodo DS2500 or Mintex M1144 pads which both can be driven on the street but their stopping power is better in higher heat ranges on the track.

Brake pads are designed to work in a certain temperature range. Best stopping power is at low temps for street pads and higher temps for track pads. It varies alot. Once the brakes get too hot doing track lap after lap the street pad overheats and doesn't work so good and the rotors get hot and your risk warping them.

EBC green creates the least dust, Mintex redbox has very low dust as well but not zero. The stock pads are very very dusty. The design of your wheel rim makes a big difference. Some are more open and allow the dust to blow away. Others are more closed and collect dust. Some wheelwax can be applied to the rim to help reduce and repel the dust.

Brake dust is very corrosive to your wheel finish so it is important not to let it collect on your wheel for very long.

EBC green is known to squeak a little, sometimes Mintex Redbox can squeak but less.

I had Mintex Redbox for the last 7000 miles and used it for street, autocross, light track, driving school and it worked ok but got hot after doing track sessions of 15 to 20 minutes.

I'm changing them to Mintex M1144 pads which are better for light track use and hotter temperatures.

Also if you have stock rotors you will wear your pads less than if you have rotors that are drilled, slotted, or dimpled.

If you want the best performance out of your brakes then you should go to driving school and learn how to use them (squeeze them). No skidding and screetching.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:07 PM
2Cool
4th Gear
I have EBC green stuff... but I am slightly disappointed with them. The low dust thing is nice, but their performance under hard street use is lacking. I have managed to overdrive them till they fade (bad, as in press pedal and damn little happens) just on a few gymkhana type runs on the local curvy roads. I am going to switch to either some Hawk HP+ or Ferrodos soon. Possibly some Carbotechs... idunno...

Old 06-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
minihune - - -
Thank you very much for the in depth response. Exactly what I am looking for!

Having done searches on brakes, brake pads, rotors, big brake kits, etc. I'm well aware of the many threads on these subjects. I'm hoping to get a break pad consensus in a single location.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:22 PM
astra
4th Gear
i have ebc pads and rotors..

when they are cold.. they tend to feel very weak..

when you heat them up.. they work really well..

lighter on brake dust than the oem pads..

I drive a bunch of canyons.. and try to average 1 track day a month..

Old 06-20-2004, 10:34 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put on Ferodo DS2500's, front and rear on my modded MCS. Bedded them in carefully for 4-5 days before taking the car to the track. They performed very well and consistently throughout the day. I felt quite comfortable with their performance. Bonus: low brake dust. After a day at the track, no squeaking or anything. Am also happy with their day to day performance.

They are a bit pricey, best price I found is raceshopper.com. When track season is over I will go back to the stock pads for the time being. Eventually I'll check out one of the other low dust options for everyday use.

Unless I find out about something much better, I will continue to use the Ferodos for track season.

Last edited by tontobird; 06-21-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:23 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
mintex reds

had mintex reds installed on the front wheels ~ 3 weeks ago but didn't do any bedding to prep them.

yesterday we had a mini get-together up in the mountains. of course, on the way down we took a spirited drive down the twisties, maybe ~5 miles or so. ~2/3 the way down i started to smell burning/smoking. i'm assuming it was my new brake pads. took it easy the rest of the way down.

upon parking my mini, i didn't notice anything unusual looking. i did purposely stick it in gear and didn't set the emergency brake to be extra safe, as last year's driving school taught us to try not to set the emergency brake after lots of braking, supposedly to avoid warping our rotors.

nobody else mentioned having any problems, and one owner did have mintex reds also, but no problems from him either. i'm thinking from some of the others' comments that i basically broke the mintex pads in on that drive down. luckily they were still working, although i felt that they were getting soft.

despite this, i still like them. the front wheels have ~ as much brake dust as the rears with oem pads. and for my daily driving they work fine. plus they're pretty inexpensive compared to any of the other aftermarket pads.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:01 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>I have EBC green stuff... but I am slightly disappointed with them.

really? I thought those Greenstuff is suppose to have about 30% or
more braking capacity than the OE pads?

Old 06-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tontobird
I just put on Ferodo DS2500's, front and rear on my modded MCS.
<snip>
When track season is over I will go back to the stock pads for the time being.
What is your reason for going back to the OEM pads when the track season is over?

Old 06-21-2004, 09:06 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Does anyone know which pads have the attachment points for the factory wear sensors?

Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 AM
W3IWI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Cool
I have EBC green stuff... but I am slightly disappointed with them. The low dust thing is nice, but their performance under hard street use is lacking....
Hmmmm -- I put on Greens before this year's Dragon and I have been quite pleased, especially on the street. But then I may not be as hard as you. And the reduction in serious dust has been a major plus.

Tom

Old 06-21-2004, 09:13 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
From wat I understand, TireRack is suppose to have the latest
version Greenstuff with the slots coming next month. :smile:

Originally Posted by early_apex
Does anyone know which pads have the attachment points for the factory wear sensors?

Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
RLmini
3rd Gear
I helped a friend put on EBC Greens and there was the slot for the front sensor but none for the rear. most people don't care about this and zip tie the sensor wire back. You are much better off looking at your pads from time to time than relying on the sensor which could be too late when it finally comes on. It is also only checking one front and one rear wheel.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:20 AM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
I read recently that the NEW ebc greenstuffs have the wear indicator cutout in the pads. But be careful if ordering since there probably is a stock of the older versions on shelves.

I use the greenstuffs on my MGB w/ wire wheels. Brake dust is minimal (on wires, thats important) and I felt a nice solid pedal w/ an increase in braking efficiency after warmup in heavy braking.

I plan to put them on bloo when changing out of the OE pads. With so much dust on my wheels you'd think they would have worn out by now. 15,000 miles on, the Dunlops just flat worn out, but the pads are still OK.

Last edited by lectric bloo; 06-21-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:13 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick_T.
What is your reason for going back to the OEM pads when the track season is over?
To save money, possibly get some new brake pads covered under the service plan.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:37 AM
2Cool
4th Gear
W3IWI, while I appreciate the sarcasm, the EBC's are nowhere near the level of the stock pads I had on my Evo VIII. I am accustomed to running 3 to 4 thirty minute track sessions without experiencing fade from a pad, which the Brembos and stock pads on the Evo were capable of handling. The EBC green on my MINI are no where near that level, nor would I wish to use them on a track event. They are a decent "street performance" pad, not a road course pad. Most people who use them on an open track event will use up a set in one day.

Hawk, Ferrodo, and Carbotech make good street/track pads. EBC red may be good as well, I have not tried them. But the Greens are good for dust reduction and general street use, they are in no wise a competition pad.

I appreciate it when people do not denigrate another's opinion and experience just to make themselves appear better.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:13 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
>The EBC green on my MINI are no where near that level

I wasn't expecting it to be a evo8 level...but something that's streetable
and have a tad more capacity than stock? I don't expect too much braking
capacity from our stock tiny rotors anyway...

Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 AM
2Cool
4th Gear
Well, they are better than stock, no argument there. The dust level is immensely decreased, and daily use performance is noticeably improved.

Just wanted you to be aware of their limits, not dissuade you from purchasing them entirely. They are a good pad for the money.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Thanks, Im not looking for Brembo type performance from just the pads

Originally Posted by 2Cool
Well, they are better than stock, no argument there. The dust level is immensely decreased, and daily use performance is noticeably improved.

Just wanted you to be aware of their limits, not dissuade you from purchasing them entirely. They are a good pad for the money.