North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Tires, Wheels, & Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes-36/)
-   -   Help, my runflat indicator light keeps coming on after insta (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/24944-help-my-runflat-indicator-light-keeps-coming-on-after-insta.html)

sanddan 04-21-2004 07:38 AM

Has this happened to anyone else? I've checked the air pressure and had the tire store look everything over but they couldn't find anything wrong. Is there any way to turn the indicator light off?

g3 04-21-2004 07:40 AM

Have you reset the indicator? You do so by holding the button under the emergency brake for a few seconds.

lotsie 04-21-2004 07:41 AM

whats that button under the brake lever do? :cool:

ukbyoung 04-21-2004 07:42 AM

To reset it, it is best to turn the key so that all the lights on the dash are on but the car is not. Then hold the button by the emergency brake for about 5 seconds and it should stop flashing and become solid. Then when you turn on your car it should be gone.

B

lotsie 04-21-2004 07:42 AM

>>Have you reset the indicator? You do so by holding the button under the emergency brake for a few seconds.
>> thought that was it thanks :cool:

gocart29 04-21-2004 07:44 AM

The tire indicator light will need to be reset when you install new tires and wheels. I have had to do this after putting air into my tires without changing anything. The sensor detects major changes in tire pressure. It's been awhile since I had to reset it, but, I think you just have to hold the button in (underneath the handbrake) until it resets. It tells you how in the manual.

sanddan 04-21-2004 08:53 AM

The first time it went on was after about 50 miles, I pulled of the road to check things out and reset the light. The light came on again about 10 min (5 miles) later and I also reset the light again. At home I checked the air pressure and made sure they were all the same and the next day the light came on again after about 10 miles. That's when I took it back to the tire dealer to look at. On the way home the light comes on again. It's in the garage now and I will check air pressure again when I get home from work tonight.

JFEINSTEIN 04-21-2004 09:01 AM

I believe you also need to drive the car a few blocks to complete the reset procedure
( again, it's in the manual ) Good Luck

sanddan 04-22-2004 07:28 AM

This morning on the way to work the light came on after 3 miles. I pulled over and reset it and once again it came on after about 3 more miles. I reset it again and it came on after 3 miles again. :cry: :cry:
Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I need help!

minihune 04-22-2004 07:33 AM

Read your manual on how to reset it. Follow the instructions and if it still doesn't reset after you have driven it then call your service advisor and report it. Either you reset it OK and it is malfunctioning or it did not take your reset for some reason.

sanddan 04-22-2004 08:01 AM

I called my service advisor this morning and she said that that has occured 3 or 4 times before (in our area). The sensor is looking for information (metal mass?) from the wheel and some aftermarket wheels do not work right. This is somehow tied into the ABS and DSC. I have an early build 2002 MCS, could something be different? Does anyone out there know how to turn off the runflat sensor or just turn off the light? I hope I don't have to keep looking at that flashing yellow light while I drive. :roll:

minhi 04-22-2004 11:08 AM

that metal mass stuff is baloney. the light does not come on for me and i'm using a tire/wheel combination that is significantly lighter then stock. sounds like a faulty sensor. have you resorted to putting the stock wheels back on to test it?

sanddan 04-23-2004 07:53 AM

It's going into the dealer today. The early build cars are more sensitive to wheel changes. The low tire pressure indicator uses software and the ABS sensors while the newer versions use a dedicated sensor. Hopefully all will be well later this afternoon.

chollomo 04-23-2004 08:34 AM

Well I saw mien ceom on and I checked the tire but ntohign seemd a miss at first, but I fill ed up them up to standard anyway (they wre all atiny bit low).. then teh next day I think I drove half a miel and the wheel was flat.. its a pretty damn smart sensor had I actually taken it in the day beofer it woudl have saved me a lto of trouble... and let me tell ya, taken off adn putting on the damn sapre wheel is a pain in the boot.