Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Looking for a 40k-50k all season tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a 40k-50k all season tire

I got 30k out of my runflats and 35k on my Avid Envigors. And I do rotate them. Wet traction and tire life are most important to me.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
How about Conti DWS? They're warranted for 50K miles, though mine seem to be headed for about 25K. (If they do wear out at 25K, Conti are supposed to refund me partially.) Wet traction is very good, dry traction is reasonable. Very quiet and comfortable.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Interesting. I have some DWS on my MINI right now and they are on track to hit the 50k mark.

Seems like I was getting ready to put some Bridgestones on that had a 40k mile guarantee, then noticed at the last second the DWS had the 50k mile guarantee, so went with them.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Conti DWS does seem to be a good choice for the major criteria without giving up much performance otherwise.

A tire's mileage warranty refers to how long the tire is warranted against tire failure through manufacturing defects. That doesn't necessarily mean that the tire tread will actually last that many miles. But 50k might be possible for someone who can get 35k miles on ENVigors.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
The Conti DWS does seem to be a good choice for the major criteria without giving up much performance otherwise.

A tire's mileage warranty refers to how long the tire is warranted against tire failure through manufacturing defects. That doesn't necessarily mean that the tire tread will actually last that many miles. But 50k might be possible for someone who can get 35k miles on ENVigors.
Yes and no. See:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=34

There are a lot of rules to be followed, but if you do follow them, you can get the warranty honored. I know of at least one person in our local club who took advantage of Conti's warranty/guarantee on the DWS.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nitto Motivas are warranteed for 60,000. I only got 21000 out of my Conti DWS. Not impressed with the Contis at all.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 PM
rum4
Banned
Nitto Motivos

Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
A tire's mileage warranty refers to how long the tire is warranted against tire failure through manufacturing defects. That doesn't necessarily mean that the tire tread will actually last that many miles.
It may not last that long, but they'll pay the difference if it doesn't. From Conti's warranty book:

Tread Wearout Coverage

The Continental brand tires listed below are warranted against wearout up to the mileage/ kilometers coverage show in this section, even though the actual mileage/ kilometers you may get from your tires may vary because of driving habits and road conditions. Subject to the provisions of Section 5 and 7 below, if one of the tires listed in this section wears out before the listed mileage/ kilometers, CTA will adjust the tire on a pro-rata basis. “Wearout” means that the tire’s tread has worn evenly down to the tread wear indicators (2/32nds of an inch or 1/6 mm of tread remaining.) “Pro-rata” for this Tread Wearout Coverage is measured by the odometer readings at the time of the tire’s purchase, as shown by the original tire sales invoice, and at the time of replacement. In addition, you must present a completed rotation schedule contained in the original owner’s copy of the tire’s Limited Warranty and Adjustment Policy.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would also like to suggest General Altimax HP. It is similar to the Envigor with better wet traction. It typically lasts longer than DWS, but is less sporty and more comfort orieneted.