North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Tires, Wheels, & Brakes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes-36/)
-   -   Brake Fluid Recommendations for street use (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/232859-brake-fluid-recommendations-for-street-use.html)

Themajickman 06-30-2012 07:16 AM

Brake Fluid Recommendations for street use

The indicator light on the dash says it's time for brakes on our 2007 S convertible with a little over 40,000 miles (Even though a visual inspection of the brakes seems to contradict this). Is it possible that one of the sensors went bad? Anyway, if we do end up changing the pads it's probably time to replace the break fluid so, I'm looking for a good replacement for the stock fluid. It's my wife's car so there's definitely not going to be any track time. Any recommendations? Thanks all in advance.

cristo 06-30-2012 08:08 AM

ATE TYP 200 is a good high temp DOT4 fluid with a longer lifespan than other premium fluids.

ATE Super Blue Racing is equally good (actually the same as above with blue dye added)
and lets you see the transition from old to new fluid. Later on you can alternate between
the two so you again see the transition easily. I just stick with ATE TYP 200.

If you choose ATE Super Blue, be prepared for comments from stupid mechanics that there's something
horribly wrong with your brake fluid "THERE'S SOMETHING HORRIBLY WRONG WITH YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!!
IT'S BLUE!!! ... IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BLUE!!! ".

Themajickman 06-30-2012 08:23 AM

Thanks, sounds like a good starting point. Also, As far as a mechanic commenting on the color, we keep all of our work in-family. No mechanic has ever touched one of my vehicles starting with my first car back in 1969. Just don't trust them.... My philosophy has always been that if you don't know how to fix it, learn how... And if you don't have the tools, buy them or borrow them. :thumbsup: Thanks again

Originally Posted by cristo (Post 3541104)
ATE Typ 200 is a good high temp DOT4 fluid with a longer lifespan than other premium fluids.

ATE Super Blue Racing is equally good (actually the same as above with blue dye added)
and lets you see the transition from old to new fluid. Later on you can alternate between
the two so you again see the transition easily. I just stick with ATE Typ 200.

If you choose ATE Super Blue, be prepared for comments from stupid mechanics that there's something
horribly wrong with your brake fluid "THERE'S SOMETHING HORRIBLY WRONG WITH YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!!
IT'S BLUE!!! ... IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BLUE!!! ".

slinger688 06-30-2012 09:07 AM

I concur with Cristo, ATE TYP200 is pretty good, especially for the price.

I also get the comment from Mini mechanics that you cannot use additives in brake fluid... when I use Super Blue.

howsoonisnow1985 07-02-2012 05:37 AM

Castrol GT-LMA Brake Fluid will be fine for street and it is like $4 a bottle.

SmithWerks 07-02-2012 06:26 AM

I agree with all said above, Also adding Motul 600 as a great performance fluid.

cristo 07-02-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985 (Post 3542010)
Castrol GT-LMA Brake Fluid will be fine for street and it is like $4 a bottle.

Agree, Castrol GT-LMA would be my second choice after ATE.

karlInSanDiego 07-02-2012 09:03 AM

Castrol brake fluid was all but phased out here in SoCal, as was Castrol 2T two stroke oil I use in my vintage Suzuki. When I needed fluid for my Lotus Elise and couldn't findcastrol LMA anymore I switched to Motul 5.1 which has the performance properties of 5, is fully synthetic, is NOT silicon like DOT 5.0 is, so it is completely compatible with DOT 4 (mineral based) fluid. You can find it at motorcycle shops.
http://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/77

WayMotorWorks 07-11-2012 08:30 PM

For just a daily driver the Castrol fluid or Valvoline synthetic brake fluids work great.

As for the ATE brake fluid, I do NOT use the ATE Blue fluid. This is not designed for street use it's a racing fluid. But bigger than that everytime we see it in a German car over time even with properly changing it the pedal still gets spongy, as our theory is the fluid does something to the seals in the brake system and ruins them.

Themajickman 07-12-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 3548324)
For just a daily driver the Castrol fluid or Valvoline synthetic brake fluids work great.

As for the ATE brake fluid, I do NOT use the ATE Blue fluid. This is not designed for street use it's a racing fluid. But bigger than that everytime we see it in a German car over time even with properly changing it the pedal still gets spongy, as our theory is the fluid does something to the seals in the brake system and ruins them.

I want to thank everybody for their recommendations. Since the car won't be seeing any track time the ATE Blue fluid is not an good choice. It looks like I'll be going with the Castrol fluid. Thanks again

slinger688 07-12-2012 10:11 AM

op, I have a bottle of Castrol LMA 32 fl oz unopened. I can give it to you for free if you want to just pay me for the shipping. Just moving so I do not need it anymore.

slinger688 07-12-2012 10:15 AM

Just checked shipping, and it is not worth it. You can buy it for the same price as shipping in the stores...

Themajickman 07-12-2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3548742)
Just checked shipping, and it is not worth it. You can buy it for the same price as shipping in the stores...

I appreciate the offer anyway :thumbsup: