Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Web Spoke wheel thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope no one minds that I'm resurrecting such an old thread.

I have 2 questions:
Can you remove the center section and keep the tire in place? I want to have the "lip" refurbished from some curb rash,

Does anyone make "alternative" center section with a different look that would bolt onto the existing barrel?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd say yes to both of those, however an alternative center section wouldn't be cost effective as you could just buy a different wheel style for less.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
I'm not sure I believe them. Unlike some 2-piece wheel designs, the web-spoke 2-piece design has nothing to do with sealing the air in. There is no existing sealant like there would be on a 3 piece wheel. Sounds like they're confused at what type of split-wheel the webspokes are.

On the webspokes the center just comes out and the barrel/lip remain. Even with the center piece removed the tire would still be sealed. There is no seam or sealant on the barrel that could be leaking.

If there is a leak in the barrel it sounds more like you have a crack in your wheel which would need to be welded, not sealed with sealant. Wheel repair shops should be able to do that easily and for rather cheap as long as the wheel is round and not too damaged. MINI Dealership won't be able to offer any help.

From this earlier post it looks like you can remove the center with the tire still on. The only question would be is if the valve stem interferes with the center, but it looks like it doesn't since the stem is still installed in the above pic.

These guy's can probably make custom centers for you, but it will be expensive. They make one piece rims into three piece rims.

https://www.facebook.com/BuildByBoekes?fref=ts

Last edited by RB-MINI; 09-02-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:33 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Web spokes

Yes, you can remove the center with the tire still on. The bolts are hard to loosen without stripping or breakong them, so be careful.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:49 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
From this earlier post it looks like you can remove the center with the tire still on. The only question would be is if the valve stem interferes with the center, but it looks like it doesn't since the stem is still installed in the above pic. These guy's can probably make custom centers for you, but it will be expensive. They make one piece rims into three piece rims. https://www.facebook.com/BuildByBoekes?fref=ts
are those dolorean wheels? That's really awesome, can't imagine the cost.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:15 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I think they're 80's VW Scirocco wheels. They've even done staggered 3 piece Ronal Teddy Bear wheels.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
What is the general community viewpoint of these wheels? Nice for the style?

What is the repair-ability index for these wheels? Are they easily dismantled for refurbishing, or should I be concerned with getting them apart and not being able to reassemble them?

I like the look, and there is a set available locally. Just trying to find out if I want to pull the trigger for them.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
I think they're 80's VW Scirocco wheels. They've even done staggered 3 piece Ronal Teddy Bear wheels.

Thats crazy. Never seen the teddies done like that.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
What is the general community viewpoint of these wheels? Nice for the style?

What is the repair-ability index for these wheels? Are they easily dismantled for refurbishing, or should I be concerned with getting them apart and not being able to reassemble them?

I like the look, and there is a set available locally. Just trying to find out if I want to pull the trigger for them.
Webspokes are still a favorite wheel of mine and, especially when color is used well, they are one of the better regarded factory wheels. I always had lots of comments and people were surprised that they were factory. I never had any issues having repair work done (had a couple of the edges polished/refinished by a mobile shop in my driveway after a curbing accident).

They were quite easy to separate (once you have the correct bit that is described earlier in this thread). There are a lot of very long bolts, but you just unscrew 'em. They are coated with loc-tite, so it's a bit hard to turn at first, but you will get there. I used an electric drill once I broke the loc-tite loose, so I didn't kill my wrist turning those bolts. There is a specific torque for them when you reinstall... I can't remember the value, though. Sorry! it's been way too long.

Note: I saw a question from years ago in this thread that I never saw before. Yes... the color on my Webspokes (the PW with metallic tan) was a custom powercoat color. I ordered a bunch of sample chips from an on-line source and ordered the powder to provide to my wheel restoration shop.

The following users liked this post:
njaremka (10-31-2017)