Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Dedicated track tires, street tires, winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dedicated track tires, street tires, winter tires?

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't have to compromise. That said, I've already got myself a set of winter wheels and tires - I believe they're Nokian's or whatever those are called. I'll be putting those on the first sign of snow. I did have one question - these are mounted on e30 iX wheels - 40+ offset, and I think 57.1mm center bore. Will I be ok without any rings or spacers? I know our center bore is 57mm, but do they really make a .1mm ring?

So, my next task before spring is to replace the stock GY runflats with a highpo tire. First off - they won't see the track or autox - as you may have figured out from the title, that will be a third set of tires. So, the set I would like would be a daily driver tire, rain/dry weather, no snow, handling most important, but nothing that will wear out in a year with hard driving - which I will certainly do I plan on using the stock S-lites for my daily driver wheels, get a lightweight set of 17x7's for my track wheels, and I've already got the snows mounted on 15" wheels. So, first question - great summer/rain/dry tire that has great grip, great wet weather stopping, and decent wear?

Next, track only tires. I saw a guy at the last autox with r-comps and PSS9's and was very impressed. How he made it all the way to the course in the wet weather is beyond me, but it was worth it. Should I go r-comps or is there a track only tire that might be a little bit more bearable on the ride to and from? I'd be switching them on and off before and after a track day, as I really don't want a trailer or to stuff four wheels and tires in my car.

PS - most of the posts I've read were looking for all year tires, or tires that can withstand track/autox days mixed with daily driving. I have no intention of using my track tires for any other purpose, and my street tires will never see a track.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by gokaht; 10-12-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
for street tires, it depends on what you want to spend. A couple I would check out:

Goodyear Eagle F1 (pricey)
Toyo T1-R (still kinda pricey, but not QUITE as bad)
Bridgestone RE-01R (pricey, and will wear quicker than the others, but better grip than any of them)
BFG G-force sport (cheaper, but still quite good, these are what I run, good treadwear @ 340, I get ~20k miles+40 autocross runs out of these tires)

Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
BTW, have you tried putting the track tires INSIDE the car?
seats down, stacked 2-high... might get them to fit (I haven't tried), but I understand your pain.

I have hakka's for snow, am shopping for my new summers as well for the R53,
and well, my track toy has (old) summer-only Yokos (that are getting pitched) and R-comps that get put on at the track... as I have the very unfortuante habbit of driving THROUGH rain to get from home to track!

Oh, and the wife also has summer/winter tires as well. (Avons / and Dunlop wintersport 3Ds)
I usually swap around turkey day, with the first flakes falling!

That being said I'm leaning towards The Goodyear F1 GS-D3s... they're an extra $100 over the Avons, but I could use the grip in the twisties and during the oh !@#$ moments on the highway slogs.

Oh, and I've the can-o-slime (wash-out) and compressor stuffed into the 'hidden' rear access if I ever need it.

Overall, I've heard good things about the Goodyears, and Yokos (but I am biased against yoko from this last bad exp. with the AVS Sports), and Michelin PS2s (which don't come in our size)... Me, personally, I'd rather spend a few extra $$ for the better perf. tire, as it will pay it self out BIGTIME when you miss that first accident!

BTW, I was planning on 15" or 16" rims for winter, but bought a member's 17s that will become my new summer rims and my current 17" not-so-lites will become my winter wheel...

HTH.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just got tired of the road noise and went with all season tires this time.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I think I read where the hubs of the '02-'06 MINIs are 56.1 mm

You CAN fit 16" tires and wheels inside your car for transport. I had a set of 16"s and another of 15"s that I was able to transport, by using the front passenger sear for the 15"s and the folded-down space behind the driver for the 16"s.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can fit four wheels and tires on the back seats, without folding the seats down. Just don't stop fast. :D

I like both the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport and Hankook RS2 z212. G-Force Sports for daily use, RS2 for a non-R-compound track / autocross tire.

The Toyo RA-1 is a great R-compound, but you'll need increased front camber to not destroy them. And they are getting replaced by the Toyo R888.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it depends on your budget too... i was running hankook Z214s for the track and they have been... utterly durable to hell.. lasted me a good 2 years, but im moving to the advan a048s now

i fit 4 no problem, 2 facingup, 2 facing left and right, and i can squeeze them in..

btw, im running 205/50-16
streets im running falken azenis 215/45-17
winters i havent decided, but will likely go 195/55-16 on the hankook ipike w409

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
DeadEye
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gokaht
So, my next task before spring is to replace the stock GY runflats with a highpo tire. First off - they won't see the track or autox - . So, first question - great summer/rain/dry tire that has great grip, great wet weather stopping, and decent wear?
The BFGoodrich T/A KDW 2 seem to be the Cats meow for Summer/Wet traction
Next, track only tires. I saw a guy at the last autox with r-comps and PSS9's and was very impressed. How he made it all the way to the course in the wet weather is beyond me, but it was worth it. Should I go r-comps or is there a track only tire that might be a little bit more bearable on the ride to and from? !
At the local Auto-X most people are either running R or Azenis 615
I've gone through 2 sets of Azenis in the past 4 summers and made the jump to R this year.
Yes changing em at the event is a pain but the difference is huge.

A few run the Toyo RA-1 's as their summer road / Auto-X tire but they only get one season out of em ....