Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar/The Un-Expected

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar/The Un-Expected

I had some preconceived impressions about what kind of effect on handling a larger sway bar would have from reading a lot of opinions on this and other forums, but the experience didn’t quite match the chorus of opinion. The sensation while taking corners was confidence inspiring; very stable, steering response only required a light touch, not the heaviness I was told to expect. On the highway the car was rock solid, pogo-ing disappeared. The behavior consistent with expectations was the rough, thudding ride over bumpy slow roads. Not too bad, but enough to make me think about going back stock.

After taking a look at fitment afterwards I noticed there was some binding on the driver’s side. There was no time to drop the sub-frame and get a good look so I continued driving with the contact. When the suspension went to full extension I could hear a little “ding” like the hard return on a type writer.

I tried to reach the vendor Half Moon Auto about the issue but as luck would have it no replies and the phone lines are disconnected. PROMINI was the default contact and they’ve been doing a good job of looking at this thing. At first they were a bit skeptical since “no one had mentioned this before” (how many time have I heard that reply) but once they put their own vehicle on the lift it became clear it was a universal design characteristic.

The subframe came out again for a close inspection. Here is the contact from the side view.

This interference was limiting travel which correlated with the audible “ding”.

Notice how much more downward range of motion the stock bar has.

The result of the contact was this worn spot; the bar was grinding away on the front control arm bushing bracket.

Despite having enjoyed the ride with the bar I couldn’t allow this to continue; I was not going to file down the top of the bushing bracket to accommodate the quirk either.

Last edited by k-huevo; 04-09-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That bar is the same blue that HSport uses. Wierd. I've never seen an H&R bar, but I assumed that they were the same green that they use on their springs.

Anyway, it's a shame about the rubbing. It's forcing you to choose performance over annoyance based on a poor-fitment issue.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Berthil
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please. I'm about to buy these H&R sway bars, the front is 28 mm also different than the blue one? Do you see any issues with this one from your experience or is that too hard to predict? thx.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The blue paint is the latest offering; I have an 18mm in the metallic smoke grey from a couple of years ago. From what I’m told the paint color is the only difference. The front sway bar for the MINI is 27mm, so be sure it has the correct part number. Look at the bushing to make sure it has a number 27 on it also. I know of one other that is two years installed and it’s rubbing on both sides. Too small of a sample group to make a definitive statement but it appears to be a design characteristic.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:32 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Bring this back from the dead. I just ordered this front sway bar and now I'm a little nervous. I'm wondering if maybe there was a revision on the part? Hkuevo mentioned it was the bracket that it hit, but unfortunately there is no photos. Any chance they could be reposted?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:46 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
I was able to find what i think is the picture he was posting from his picture thread (hasn't been on the site since 2013)

Old 10-09-2018, 06:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I've installed 3 of these in the last 2 weeks and all of them cleared no problem. I wonder if he had aftermarket control arm bushing brackets? They might have been a hair larger and cause that.
If you are going to install a front sway bar make sure you do the powerflex control arm bushings at the same time so you don't have to do it again.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...shing-kit.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've installed 3 of these in the last 2 weeks and all of them cleared no problem. I wonder if he had aftermarket control arm bushing brackets? They might have been a hair larger and cause that.
If you are going to install a front sway bar make sure you do the powerflex control arm bushings at the same time so you don't have to do it again.
Thanks for the input. I guess i can move the sway bar in its full motion to see if it hits? I already ordered and installed the LCA bushings (from you actually) so this thing will be good to go once the bar arrives. These have the stock style bushings, so i don't need to use any grease, correct?

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
Thanks for the input. I guess i can move the sway bar in its full motion to see if it hits? I already ordered and installed the LCA bushings (from you actually) so this thing will be good to go once the bar arrives. These have the stock style bushings, so i don't need to use any grease, correct?
It shouldn't hit right there as the bar is still straight at that point.

No the H&R bar doesn't use any grease on the bushings.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-10-2018, 10:31 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
You can also get some sheet metal (.06" / ,09") make and install a coupla shims. Shim the bar up on both ends.

Mike

Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
It shouldn't hit right there as the bar is still straight at that point.

No the H&R bar doesn't use any grease on the bushings.
thanks! I guess i'll find out when the thing finally arrives.

Originally Posted by OCR
You can also get some sheet metal (.06" / ,09") make and install a coupla shims. Shim the bar up on both ends.

Mike
That's a good idea! I will have a look and see once the bar arrives.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Well i finally got the H&R front sway installed, and I had binding on the bar to the LCA bushing (paint was getting ripped off the bar). I ground a little bit of material and kept reinstalling the bar, but didnt want to take to much material off, so instead made some metal spacers that raised the bar a couple mm's, which stopped the binding. I reinstalled the subframe and took it for a spin! Car definitely needs an alignment, but feels so much better than it did with the worn out LCAs and smaller bar. Still have stock rear sway, so there's some push in corners, but not actually that bad.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Front sway bar

[QUOTE=WayMotorWorks;4425367]I've installed 3 of these in the last 2 weeks and all of them cleared no problem. I wonder if he had aftermarket control arm bushing brackets? They might have been a hair larger and cause that.

what brand sway bar fits the best and what thickness. I want to avoid oversteer and I have a 24mm rear bar from alta

Old 11-10-2018, 08:58 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by danraabe
what brand sway bar fits the best and what thickness. I want to avoid oversteer and I have a 24mm rear bar from alta
This H&R 27mm is what we have been doing and it is a great match, plus I don't think you could fit anything larger as it is a tight fit
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-r-fr...0-r52-r53.html

Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
I enjoy the bar and it really helps with turn-in, though there's a bit more busyness from the suspension over bumps that hit either just the left or right wheel, and having the Quaife quells some of the increased wheel spin i seem to get when going over elevation changes from side to side. Definitely check for the bar and its proximity to the LCA as my one was hitting and scraping off paint in its motion.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Squigglesr56
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What bushings fit on the h&r 27mm front bar?

Old 08-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
They provided a stock style (dry) one with the kit. I am unsure on if you could just order the bushin directly from them?