North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-69/)
-   -   Suspension PSS9 Setup Question (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/75095-pss9-setup-question.html)

PGT 08-06-2007 01:32 PM

just back from a quick shakedown run...it rides better...much smoother and not hobby-horsing. performance wise....not sure yet. the inside front wheel is too easy to upset on the power. LSD, 215 width summer tires, 19mm h-sport on full stiff, IE front adj plates and h-sport rear lower camber links. perhaps I need some additional front camber.

minihune 08-14-2007 01:20 AM

While I was in Singapore I got to ride with two MCS 2004-2005 with PSS9s installed and compared with my 2003 MCS with PSS9s their setups rode much much smoother on the street.

The difference I think has to do with ride height and dampening settings.

My ride height is lower than most so springs and shocks has less reserve and travel and ride is stiffer even with the same settings so the values I can use will be different than those that have ride height dropped say one inch (I have about 1.7" drop at least, maybe more in the back).

So if I ever stop autocross and track I can lower my MCS less and have a much smoother ride.

On the other side, if I dedicate some 15x7" rims and 205/50-15 tires for street use then I can lower my MINI a bit more since tires are shorter at 22.8" tall and use 15x8 for competition. Right now my wheel gap is large when needing to fit 17" street wheels and 15" competition wheels.

Bster 08-14-2007 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by minihune (Post 1688741)
While I was in Singapore I got to ride with two MCS 2004-2005 with PSS9s installed and compared with my 2003 MCS with PSS9s their setups rode much much smoother on the street.

The difference I think has to do with ride height and dampening settings.

My ride height is lower than most so springs and shocks has less reserve and travel and ride is stiffer even with the same settings so the values I can use will be different than those that have ride height dropped say one inch (I have about 1.7" drop at least, maybe more in the back).

So if I ever stop autocross and track I can lower my MCS less and have a much smoother ride.

On the other side, if I dedicate some 15x7" rims and 205/50-15 tires for street use then I can lower my MINI a bit more since tires are shorter at 22.8" tall and use 15x8 for competition. Right now my wheel gap is large when needing to fit 17" street wheels and 15" competition wheels.

Hi Minihune! Glad to see you made it all the way back home safe and sound. No wonder you found my ride smooth... your car is even lower!

I did have my car lower when I got them installed, but have since raised them 5mm taller. The ride difference is astonishing. It's definately easier on the ride quality, and my backbones! :nod:

MyCarV 11-07-2007 09:22 PM

Hope you keep sharing the knowledge

I see that you as many people did, took a few tries to get the car riding right with the PSS9's. :eek: Hope you can share your hard won knowledge with me. I tend to start doubting myself when things don't go right after the first couple tries.:confused:

Thanks ahead of time.:thumbsup:
MyCarV

Originally Posted by PGT (Post 1674254)
just back from a quick shakedown run...it rides better...much smoother and not hobby-horsing. performance wise....not sure yet. the inside front wheel is too easy to upset on the power. LSD, 215 width summer tires, 19mm h-sport on full stiff, IE front adj plates and h-sport rear lower camber links. perhaps I need some additional front camber.

PGT 11-07-2007 09:30 PM

of course! I ended up with -2 F and -1.5 R. I also ended up on 5F/6R for damping with just a touch of preload (enough to eliminate spring slap). The handling limits of this car are so far beyond what the Koni kit would do...example - on the Koni setup, the onramp near me I could take at 51mph. With the Bilsteins.....56-56mph. Same wheels/tires at the time. Now that I'm on RE01R's....60mph is attainable (though I'm pushed so hard on the door at this speed, I'm not sure where the edge of grip is, or if I'm even close because it's dead stable :eek: )

Pyroman79 01-29-2008 05:52 PM

I installed my Pss9's about two weeks ago. I set them at 6f/7r and it has been fairly nice at slower speeds. Can anyone suggest what settings to go with on rougher roads?

Pyroman79 01-30-2008 05:29 PM

Right now I have it slightly higher in the front (about 3/4" from all the way down) and 6f/7r. Around town I can tell the Bilsteins absorb the little stuff in the road great. But what can I do to keep dips in the road from trying to eject me from the car seat? Please help as I'm new to coilovers and I have had them about 3 weeks now.

glnr13 01-30-2008 05:47 PM

yeah, i get that "eject" feeling too over freeway expansion joints... even on the softest setting (9)
i got myself a CG Lock to keep me in the seat. Not much you can do really, you basically changed the whole suspension of the car to hold the road, unfortunately it doesnt tell the seatbelts to hold you in better.

Pyroman79 01-31-2008 05:50 PM

Thanks, I just cant remember completely what "stock" felt like so I can't base this new suspension on anything. With that is there a "perfect" setup of the pss9 that is a little calmer at highway speed and not-so-smooth roads? I thought about it a bunch and I wonder if being too low is making it worse. Any thoughts?

Pyroman79 02-01-2008 05:42 PM

Bout all I can do at this point is to keep driving and try to figure it out.

glnr13 02-01-2008 09:07 PM

perfect? on not-so-smooth roads? i dont think so :(

Pyroman79 02-01-2008 09:45 PM

:eek2: So I cant get the cake and eat it too I guess, lol

Pyroman79 02-05-2008 03:29 PM

Even though this tread is dieing, I have to ask one last question. For daily driving were should I set up my Pss9's riding on 17's with a factory sized BFG tire? Again I think it is too low. I got about 1/2" of thread left on the fronts and a little less in the rear. Please help with this, I'm one of those that could keep messing with it and end up being no ware close to being were it needs to be.

glnr13 02-09-2008 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pyroman79 (Post 2023046)
Even though this tread is dieing, I have to ask one last question. For daily driving were should I set up my Pss9's riding on 17's with a factory sized BFG tire? Again I think it is too low. I got about 1/2" of thread left on the fronts and a little less in the rear. Please help with this, I'm one of those that could keep messing with it and end up being no ware close to being were it needs to be.

well if you feel like it's too low you can adjust it according to your liking. there's really no "right" or "wrong" place to set them at height (aside from rubbing and what not.) the same goes for the dampers. my GF cant stand riding in the car if it isnt set at 9 all the way around. i like to run 6F7R most of the time

Pyroman79 02-09-2008 10:56 AM

Thanks, I got it 6/7 and a bout an 1.5" below stock and its not bad. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can set the ride height to my 17's. The roads here in Germany arnt very smooth, but she stick to them way better than stock