North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-69/)
-   -   Suspension MCS rear sway bar on an MC - any noticeable improvement? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/47173-mcs-rear-sway-bar-on-an-mc-any-noticeable-improvement.html)

Our 50 07-17-2005 07:03 AM

MCS rear sway bar on an MC - any noticeable improvement?

I purchased a used MCS rear sway bar (17mm) to replace our 16mm MC one. I would like to hear from others who have done this to see if it is worth the effort. Thanks

Tio Barry 08-02-2005 05:48 PM

I did just that a couple of months ago and my '03 MC is stable but it was more tossable and fun to drive in original state. Seems less likely to oversteer now which puzzles me.

orthomini_jr 08-02-2005 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tio Barry
I did just that a couple of months ago and my '03 MC is stable but it was more tossable and fun to drive in original state. Seems less likely to oversteer now which puzzles me.

Do you race it or is this just on the street. You may of picked up a slight push going in with the bigger bar.

mataku 08-02-2005 08:07 PM

I too have a used MCS rear sway that I was going to put on my MC. However, my spring install took too long and it seemed like such a pain to put it on that I haven't dealt with it yet. I attempted to remove it, but I didn't see how it was going to be possible, didn't read the how to fully.

I plan on putting it on sometime, I have heard that there is an improvement. However, if you have the money and don't mind getting out of stock (for autoX reasons) then you might as well go for an aftermarket bar.

Let me know how things go.

kenchan 08-02-2005 08:08 PM

he's not driving backwards into the turn. :wink:

orthomini_jr 08-02-2005 09:02 PM

weight transfer

th3118 08-02-2005 09:18 PM

Dan,

Let me know if you want a hand, I have installed a few rear bars, they're not hard to do.
Todd

Dr Obnxs 08-02-2005 09:50 PM

Somethings got to be going on.

Originally Posted by Tio Barry

No way a stiffer rear bar decreases oversteer. Something else has to be at play. A stiffer rear bar put more weight on the outside front in cornering. Has to turn more.

Matt

minihune 08-02-2005 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
No way a stiffer rear bar decreases oversteer. Something else has to be at play. A stiffer rear bar put more weight on the outside front in cornering. Has to turn more.

Matt

MCS rear sway bar in an MC is fine.
Stiffer rear bar usually results in less understeer (hence more oversteer).

Even just that 1 mm diameter difference is enough to help. If you have the sport suspension plus option in an MC you also get stiffer MCS like springs.

If you are looking for even more difference then a 19mm rear bar (with holes for adjustment) would be worth a look. But for autocrossing does send you out of H-stock class (MC).

kenchan 08-03-2005 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs

Matt

Yeh...perhaps tire pressure.

Tio Barry 08-03-2005 09:00 AM

Well I've tried all sorts of tire pressure combinations but still end up with very SAAB-like understeer - this is street only use. So I guess i'll go back to the 16mm and see if all goes back where it was.

kenchan 08-03-2005 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan
Yeh...perhaps tire pressure.

or his right foot. :wink: