North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-69/)
-   -   Suspension Wanted: Aftermarket spring info (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/39371-wanted-aftermarket-spring-info.html)

lefty03 01-15-2008 05:13 PM

Is this a good deal??

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/hr-s...2376edcf2f23b2

seems like it might be too good to be true. any website recommendations for the H&R springs?

AstroBlackS 01-15-2008 05:17 PM

Looks like a good deal,

If you want the green ones:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...g_springs.html

Pablo 04-03-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by 911RSAmerica (Post 749357)
I just installed a set of PSS9's in my 05 MCS. I set the ride height in
the middle of the permissible adjustment range, measured for the top
edge of the spring seat down to the center of the bottom mounting screw.

Front permissible adjustment range 210-230mm set at 220mm drop LF 1 3/16" RF 1 1/4"

Rear permissible adjustment range 175-195mm set at 185mm drop LR & RR 1 1/16"

The permissible adjustment front and rear is 20mm so from the middle setting the car
can be raised or lowered 10mm (0.394")

The Drop range is:
Front ~7/8 to 1 5/8"
Rear ~5/8 to 1 1/2"

David K.

David or any other PSS-9 owner,

I'm mulling over linear springs for the front but when I went to my toolbox for the install instructions, they were gone. I know the bottom measuring points are different between the front and rear and are illustrated in the instructions. So, does anyone have the instructions that they could scan and email?

I'm also trying to figure out the correct inside diameter (2.25", 60 mm or 2.5") and also the uncompressed length and the length with full car weight on the wheels.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Evans

07BPB 06-12-2008 01:19 AM

I just bought some King Springs for my MC and ill measure before and after. Just to see if the info holds. And you spelt Australia wrong next to King Springs in the first post :wink:

07BPB 06-15-2008 12:25 AM

Yeah, I installed the king springs today on my MC. I had about a 1 inch drop front and rear. They are still fresh and on the drive home i noticed the front had settled more.

ponie5 04-23-2009 06:21 PM

hey out there...

i have h-sport springs with 90,000+ miles on them on my 03 cooper s. as i consider replacing them can someone please give me an opinion/comparison on h-sport vs tsw springs? i am running koni fsd shocks which i really like. didn't bother with camber plates but probably should have as my tire wear is always a problem. also, i do tire of scaping the ground so often ....

MINICHEF 11-21-2009 07:35 PM

anyone have information about the Koni Sport springs?
I know they state a f/r drop of 30mm, but what about spring rate?

drfubar 01-28-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ponie5 (Post 2744974)
hey out there...

i have h-sport springs with 90,000+ miles on them on my 03 cooper s. as i consider replacing them can someone please give me an opinion/comparison on h-sport vs tsw springs? i am running koni fsd shocks which i really like. didn't bother with camber plates but probably should have as my tire wear is always a problem. also, i do tire of scaping the ground so often ....

TSW springs will be higher than the H-sport, so u wont scrape. How are your struts after 90k?

jimmyd1 04-20-2010 07:15 PM

Hey guys I got the mini mania stage 1 suspension kit with the 2mm sway bar and Vogtland lowering springs. I put them on and they were supposed to produce a 1 inch drop as well as provide better handling. The rear is lowered as promised but the front is still at stock height. Is there something that I missed? I made sure everything went back together properly and even got it aligned and Firestone said everything was put back properly but I don’t understand why the front didn’t get lowered. If anyone has any ideas please let me know

101101 04-25-2010 05:16 AM

If someone can measure the stock ride height (either ground to jack pucks or wheel center to the wheel well arch) I can measure the drop TSWs give on my car.

jimmyd1 04-26-2010 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by 101101 (Post 3036925)
If someone can measure the stock ride height (either ground to jack pucks or wheel center to the wheel well arch) I can measure the drop TSWs give on my car.

This may or may not help you I have a 2004 MCS (R53) and the front measures 25.5" from the center of the wheel arch to the ground the back is 25.25. I just put the mini mania stage 1 suspension kit on which consisted of a BRK 22 mm rear sway bar and Volkland lowering springs. I know my rear is lower but my front is still at the stock height and I am working to figure out why this is. Do you have any suggestions?

wrh3 07-28-2010 01:23 AM

Some data on the Apex (Holland) spring rates:

Drop: 30-40mm
Linear rate, like OE, NOT progressive like some others
The fronts are approx. 185 lb/in (I don't know if this accounts for the stopper which adds some to the rate)
The rears are approx. 215 lb/in

http://www.billswebspace.com/mcs.htm...gsHotchkisRCAs

MinItaly 09-16-2010 09:16 AM

Hello guys, i have a question...which spring is more CONFORTABLE between H-Sport, TSW and Tein h-tech?

And which spring is better for Handling?

I put the ride on second hand...

I Know that Eibach and H&R are very hard/rigid (which is the appropriate word?) but i know nothing regard the others...

P.S: Now i have Bilstein B8 with stock spring, handling and confort are good but the wheels gap is too much!

Sorry for wrong english :confused:

MinItaly 09-20-2010 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by MinItaly (Post 3131558)
Hello guys, i have a question...which spring is more CONFORTABLE between H-Sport, TSW and Tein h-tech?

I Know that Eibach and H&R are very hard/rigid (which is the appropriate word?) but i know nothing regard the others...

P.S: Now i have Bilstein B8 with stock spring, handling and confort are good but the wheels gap is too much!

:impatient: :impatient: :impatient: :lol:

MinItaly 09-29-2010 04:09 AM

Nobody?!? :sad:

MinItaly 04-13-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MinItaly (Post 3131558)

Nobody can help me??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

wrh3 04-13-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MinItaly (Post 3260199)
Nobody can help me??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am currently running the same Bilstein Sport dampers you are with my Apex springs, it is PERFECT- handling and looks :-)

blueflash 04-29-2011 10:57 AM

The rates for the M7 progressive spring is 219 front, and 224 rear. The claimed drop is 1.3". I hope this helps fill in the table!

fluidsoul 08-17-2012 08:22 AM

Seems H&R has been updated. Drop is now as follows:

1.0 front
0.75 rear

as per
http://www.hrsprings.com/scripts/app...ind3&MakeID=27

RHcoopers 07-31-2013 06:18 PM

Best Spring Combo for MCS stock struts

Has anyone just uprgraded their springs on their MCS and kept the OEM struts? What do you recommend? I have 03 R53 with factory sport suspension. Looking at H&R and Alta, and Madness Motorworks. let me know!

wrh3 07-31-2013 06:23 PM

I like the APEX springs, value priced and will work fine until you can upgrade your dampers:

http://apexsuspension.com/gb/

Moss Mini used to carry these, no idea if they still do.

jimmyd1 07-31-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by RHcoopers (Post 3784174)
Has anyone just uprgraded their springs on their MCS and kept the OEM struts? What do you recommend? I have 03 R53 with factory sport suspension. Looking at H&R and Alta, and Madness Motorworks. let me know!

I tried that with volkland springs and it didn't work. The rear was lower but the front stayed at stock height. The handling was all wrong too. I bought a set of Megan racing coil overs from way motor works and I think they are awesome and were less than $900. For the set and made my R53 handle the dragon soo much better. I love them.

RHcoopers 07-31-2013 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyd1 (Post 3784179)

I tried that with volkland springs and it didn't work. The rear was lower but the front stayed at stock height. The handling was all wrong too. I bought a set of Megan racing coil overs from way motor works and I think they are awesome and were less than $900. For the set and made my R53 handle the dragon soo much better. I love them.

That's cool Jimmyd,

I'm just looking for springs though, not coilovers.

tigerwong58 05-05-2014 11:45 AM

Just installed the Mach V Red Springs on my R58, the drop was 1.5" front and rear. It squats the rear a lot, you can see the negative camber, I will bring it back in by the alignment.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...6170-80365.png

SwellmanMini 06-20-2014 02:37 PM

Examples of lowered - 1st Gen MCS Cabrio?

I am interested in 1st Gen MCS Convertible examples. I have reviewed quite a few of the different threads and have only seen a few examples. Hoping to see the following:

Lowered 1st Gen MCS Convertibles
What Springs did you use?
What drop did you see?
Any trouble with clearance (205/45/17 or 205/40/18)?
Ride quality (local driving, no track)?

Opinion on H&R vs M7 springs (lots of positive reviews of both on here, local mechanic told me that H&R springs have a tendency to 'sag').