North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-435/)
-   -   Suspension Planned mods - opinions wanted! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/330415-planned-mods-opinions-wanted.html)

fridayxiii 08-07-2018 01:10 PM

Planned mods - opinions wanted!

As I work my way through the break-in period ('19 F56 JCW w/DDC), I'm starting to finalize what mods I want to do. Power mods are decided upon, which leaves suspension. Up til now I was counting these as "must haves":
  • chassis bones body braces
  • NM rear sway bar end links
  • NM RSB (undecided between 22mm or 25mm for $120 difference)
I'm also considering
I won't track or AutoX the car, but want solid, tight, sure-footed handling when on the Dragon, Hellbender, Cherohala, and any/all other twisties that we may encounter.

(Ditching runflats is a given :lol: )

Any thoughts on the UR front lower bar, or any other suggestions, upgrades to consider?

MarioKart 08-07-2018 01:14 PM

I’m an NM dealer and can help you with thier items. I also do RPM Power Tuning and S F series make 65whp and 103wtq. I can also do remote tuning
send me at email if you are interested

MarioPalza@gmail.com

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

easter 08-07-2018 09:42 PM

Now I can't stop wondering what power mods you have planned.

fridayxiii 08-08-2018 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by easter (Post 4412285)
Now I can't stop wondering what power mods you have planned.

Nothing too crazy: a Dinan Elite module & VIP cold air intake to start. I could see upgrading the downpipe later on, but it's not in the first round of changes.

vetsvette 08-08-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by fridayxiii (Post 4412158)
As I work my way through the break-in period ('19 F56 JCW w/DDC), I'm starting to finalize what mods I want to do. Power mods are decided upon, which leaves suspension. Up til now I was counting these as "must haves":
  • chassis bones body braces
  • NM rear sway bar end links
  • NM RSB (undecided between 22mm or 25mm for $120 difference)
I'm also considering Ultra Racing front lower bar

I won't track or AutoX the car, but want solid, tight, sure-footed handling when on the Dragon, Hellbender, Cherohala, and any/all other twisties that we may encounter.

(Ditching runflats is a given :lol: )

Any thoughts on the UR front lower bar, or any other suggestions, upgrades to consider?

Either of the RSBs will be good. I went with the 22mm solid bar vs the 25mm hollow bar. I also added the NM billet mounts with grease fittings, so that canceled out any price difference. The end links are a good addition also IMO. Some people are happy with the OEM plastic parts, but I’m not one of them. Cravenspeed Big Pair or any of the newer copies are also a good investment to help tighten up the chassis. Can’t help with that front bar though. I have the heavier bar from my original OEM Sport Suspension and haven’t felt the need to replace it. In my case (lowered w/coil overs) I also have NM adjustable rear control arms to dial in the camber a little better, but since you’re keeping the OEM DDC Suspension that would not be needed in your case. Good luck with your mods. You’re just getting started. :popcorn:

Mini_Vinnie 08-08-2018 08:19 AM

I have all the support bars from Ultra Racing installed and couldn't be happier with them.

bratling 08-08-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by fridayxiii (Post 4412320)
Nothing too crazy: a Dinan Elite module & VIP cold air intake to start. I could see upgrading the downpipe later on, but it's not in the first round of changes.

for what a Dinan Elite costs, you could get an actual engine tune done for not much more at all. But if warranty is what you are thinking about then the Dinan is a reasonable choice.

WayMotorWorks 08-08-2018 05:20 PM

Your mod list looks like a good start.

For power the Dinan Sport is really great value for gain and keeps the warranty intact.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dinan-...ng-module.html

With the extra money saved put it towards a Forge intercooler when you are ready
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...s-f55-f56.html

also don't forget the powerflex lower engine bushing great bang for the buck and easy install that you will feel.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

bratling 08-16-2018 03:28 PM

Quick follow up for FridayXIII. I installed Way’s Chassis Bones braces a few days ago. I am positively astonished at the difference it makes! I wasn’t sure I’d feel a thing; worst case, I figured, was that I’d go back to stock and sell the parts.

Nope! It’s totally noticeable. The car responds a little faster and more precisely than before. For a couple hundred bucks, it’s well worth doing if you like corners and have already done a stiffer rear sway bar.

(I can’t rule out placebo effect, of course. Confirmation bias is a real thing. But I’m pretty sure the difference I feel is real. :) )

Minnie.the.Moocher 08-16-2018 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 4412515)
Your mod list looks like a good start.

For power the Dinan Sport is really great value for gain and keeps the warranty intact.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dinan-...ng-module.html

I think you mean the Elite.

fridayxiii 08-17-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bratling (Post 4414337)
Quick follow up for FridayXIII. I installed Way’s Chassis Bones braces a few days ago. I am positively astonished at the difference it makes! I wasn’t sure I’d feel a thing; worst case, I figured, was that I’d go back to stock and sell the parts.

Nope! It’s totally noticeable. The car responds a little faster and more precisely than before. For a couple hundred bucks, it’s well worth doing if you like corners and have already done a stiffer rear sway bar.

(I can’t rule out placebo effect, of course. Confirmation bias is a real thing. But I’m pretty sure the difference I feel is real. :) )

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

I plan to do all the suspension upgrades at once: RSB, end links, and chassis bones (as well as the motor mount Way suggested). I see in your sig that we'll have a similar setup (minus the coilovers). How does the front end feel to you? Some say that once you add a RSB & stiffen the chassis, that the front end can feel a bit loose, leading some to use a lower front end chassis bar (like the Ultra Racing), or a strut tower bar.

Thoughts?

bratling 08-17-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by fridayxiii (Post 4414509)
I plan to do all the suspension upgrades at once: RSB, end links, and chassis bones (as well as the motor mount Way suggested). I see in your sig that we'll have a similar setup (minus the coilovers). How does the front end feel to you? Some say that once you add a RSB & stiffen the chassis, that the front end can feel a bit loose, leading some to use a lower front end chassis bar (like the Ultra Racing), or a strut tower bar. Thoughts?

I'm not finding the front end feels loose, but I'm also not an autocrosser or dedicated track day guy. It might be the kind of thing you can only feel after making the change.

Sorry, I got no good data for you :sad:

WayMotorWorks 08-17-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bratling (Post 4414337)

Thank you for your honest feedback. We constantly get this same feedback about these simple braces. They don't look like much but it's pretty cool to see and feel they actually work. The Chassis Bones are now available for all the F cars F54 F55 F56 F57 too as each car has it's variations and they had to make a kit for each one.

TVPostSound 08-20-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 4414581)
Thank you for your honest feedback. We constantly get this same feedback about these simple braces. They don't look like much but it's pretty cool to see and feel they actually work. The Chassis Bones are now available for all the F cars F54 F55 F56 F57 too as each car has it's variations and they had to make a kit for each one.

I don't know man, the Forge version is $299.00, theirs must be better, no??

Keeeeeedding.......You priced yours very competitively!!! Im really considering a set!!

bratling 08-21-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 4415214)
I don't know man, the Forge version is $299.00, theirs must be better, no??

Keeeeeedding.......You priced yours very competitively!!! Im really considering a set!!

Dooooo eeeeettttt… doooo eeeet!

Pretty sure Way will cheerfully sell you Craven's original Big Pair if you prefer silver to black. :) It's also quite possible that the Craven models might be stiffer due to their extra material, but the Bones are so good that, eh, whatevs. :-)

Minnie.the.Moocher 08-23-2018 10:16 AM

Installation of Chassis Bones or Big Pair - does it make a difference if you use a ramp or put the car on jack stands? Seems like having the car on stands puts a stress on the body where a ramp would be indep of that. Am I over-thinking? Don't have ramps that work with this F56 that's why I'm thinking about this.

bratling 08-23-2018 02:49 PM

I jacked my F55 up on all four corners. Was not a problem, even though I took all three stock braces off together before installing the bones. (Intentional. I wanted to see if there was much static deflection in the chassis. Nope.)

Libido 07-27-2020 06:05 PM

Placebo effect is an often used term, but I'm impressed to see confirmation bias used appropriately in a sentence.