Suspension H&R Sway Bar Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:52 AM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
elsanib and myself have the Eibachs F/R, (there was one other guy too but don't remember his name). My car came close to my expectations of how a mini should handle after I installed the JCW Pro coilovers. (stock was to soft for me). But there was still to much roll at turn in. IMO Eibach did a great job balancing the car with the F/R bars (using soft setting on the rear).

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeMJCW:
J_L (04-09-2019), Warren2185 (05-19-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
I took a quick ride in TV's car, and yes it does corner super flat. With H&R springs on the adjustable OEM shocks, he has a pretty great system there. Assuming he is ok with the harsh ride =)
Yes, its stiff!!
Remember, I also have the H&R springs too. They seem to be fairly well matched to the DDC dampers.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
Hi Eddie- Yes I agree with all that. But to be clear, I had the coilovers for a while first, then added the bars. The coilovers alone were near my limit of harshness, and I didn't expect that the bars would affect the ride as much as they did. I think you're saying that those brands are better than ST? The ST are made by KW in the same factory, same specs. Same ride and quality.

As for the mix of various bars, springs, shocks... agree, it's all connected. It would be very cool if one tuner had a complete package, but I kinda don't think anyone does. Yes, H&R has the bars, and also springs, but then also coilovers. Is it the springs or coils that they designed the bars around? Eibach has their bars, and then springs... but which shocks would they have you run? And how much development and testing are they really doing, especially on our low-sales-volume minis? Are they just making thicker springs, checking fitment and getting them out the door? Or did they try many versions on both street and track? Honest questions, if anyone has talked to them.

As they say... there's a bit of black magic in suspension tuning. I think all we can do is hear others' recommendations (especially from a tuner who gets feedback from a lot of customers, like Way), and experiment.

Cheers
J_L - Understood... Appreciate the clarification.

To be honest, when I changed out my sway bars, I too was surprised as to how much stiffer the whole car became and I only changed out the front and rear bars; the the MINI sports suspension springs and shocks remained. The MINI shocks didn’t last long after that and I replaced them with the Bilstein B8. That was another eye opener as they were far superior to the MINI shocks and the street ride is firm but good enough; the wife still likes it. On the twisties, she likes the car better now with the sway bars and B8s than before as she says the car “seems more stable”.

My note to the Bilsteins and Konis (shocks I have experience with) was in reference to the MINI shocks, which I had thought you had in the car with the bigger sway bars. My mistake. That wasn’t a comment about the ST/KW shocks; I have heard a lot good things about them.

One comment that I have heard from a person setting up race cars was that when adding larger sway bars you need to soften the springs. I wasn’t able to get a good reason why, though. However, my own experience and maybe yours may say that the ride becomes too stiff, even for a race car. The STs likely have springs that are stiffer than the MINI springs, although I can’t say for sure as I have been unable to locate the sring rates they use. Because this is all interconnected, could it be that the ST springs are much to add that size sway bar to? A big guess here?

Your comment about a bit of “black magic” in suspension tuning is spot on. There are just so many things that come into play for a one-size-fits-all to be good for anyone. Driving style is a big one from what I can tell. There are also the trade offs, as have been mentioned. What I wish manufacturers would do is to list the specifics about their products (spring rates for springs, dampening rates for shocks, etc) so you can do your own mixing and matching. But then you would need a Dr. in suspension design just to do coilover change. No, it is not easy.. Just listen to the announcers of a stock car race; those team are making suspension adjustments on the fly.

If you get to try any of those other products, let us know your thoughts. This is one way for us to learn.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
I like the term "Black Magic" as each car is different and responds differently to mod's. The most neutral (sliding into corner) cars to me have been Alfa Romeo's (driven them in Italy). This doesn't mean that they corner faster than a car that has some understeer.
I will reiterate that I am happy with the Eibach setup. Would've been nice if the install labor wasn't so much tho.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MikeMJCW
I like the term "Black Magic" as each car is different and responds differently to mod's. The most neutral (sliding into corner) cars to me have been Alfa Romeo's (driven them in Italy). This doesn't mean that they corner faster than a car that has some understeer.
I will reiterate that I am happy with the Eibach setup. Would've been nice if the install labor wasn't so much tho.

An F1 motorcycle champion 30 years ago (Kevin Schwanz) explained his perfect setup:

When I dive into a corner, and feel my front tire sliding (understeer), and I can throttle up to cause my rear tire to slide (oversteer)
that is when it handles best!!!

Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
An F1 motorcycle champion 30 years ago (Kevin Schwanz) explained his perfect setup:

When I dive into a corner, and feel my front tire sliding (understeer), and I can throttle up to cause my rear tire to slide (oversteer)
that is when it handles best!!!
All of that, and no roll cage!!!!!
No fear....

Unfortunately, for a FWD cars, throttle-on induces understeer; throttle-off induces oversteer. A little simplistic, but it is the reason that, if the rear of a FWD car starts to slide out, you want to get on the gas to correct it. If you get off the gas, you will likely spin it (massive oversteer).

Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
All of that, and no roll cage!!!!!
No fear....

Unfortunately, for a FWD cars, throttle-on induces understeer; throttle-off induces oversteer. A little simplistic, but it is the reason that, if the rear of a FWD car starts to slide out, you want to get on the gas to correct it. If you get off the gas, you will likely spin it (massive oversteer).
Thats why just a rear bar makes it dangerous!!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
For those following this post about H&R bars, and the issue with the rear bushings.

I have been in contact with H&R in Germany, after some back and forth with them telling me they've never heard of this issue, they've
agreed to look into it. Ive sent them picture etc. Butdragging their feet.

I did find a solution!!! NM 25 mm bracket and bushing works wonderfully!
They sell them without the bar!

H&R Bushing VS NM Bushing and Bracket

Last edited by TVPostSound; 05-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
For those following this post about H&R bars, and the issue with the rear bushings.

I have been in contact with H&R in Germany, after some back and forth with them telling me they've never heard of this issue, they've
agreed to look into it. Ive sent them picture etc. Butdragging their feet.

I did find a solution!!! NM 25 mm bracket and bushing works wonderfully!
They sell them without the bar!

H&R Bushing VS NM Bushing and Bracket

Thanks for posting. Nice find.

I’ll apologize in advance for this request... But, would it be possible to post one more picture, taken a little further back to show the sway bar and the bracket? I am sure it is just me, but I am struggling to figure out what I am looking at in these pictures; maybe because I haven’t seen the sway bar assembly. I understand that it is the bracket, bushing and swaybar, Just not seeing it right. Sorry about that. Now that I have a Gen III Cooper, I should take a look.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
If you observe the collar between the H&R bushing and NM bushing, there is a wear mark.
The NM bushing allows space between the collar and frame.
Eliminating the need to do this:

Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Perfect!
I understand.
Thanks, again, for posting.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
That’s a great solution! Props to NM. Now if they would make their own front bar too...

Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
SHHHH!! NM doesn't know I bought those for their competitors bar!!!

Not many MINI owners want to spend money on a front bar install, along with the propaganda that we only need a rear bar, is keeping sales down.

Only majors will spend the money on jigs, NM outsources, so it needs to be a sizable production run has to be a big one. Not worth the investment.

How many people really bought the front and rear H&R besides us??
We both had bushing design issues, and H&R (Germany) is telling me, Im the only complainant.
So 2 people known here, you and me.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:13 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
I planned on doing all three - rear, front, and tower in all due time.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:10 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
I installed the NM bracket and bushing,

J_L and I both had it wrong trying to add spacers and washers.
The ride improved dramatically!!
The mov below the pic shows how the bar is supposed to fall under its own weight.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2884.MOV (1.35 MB, 41 views)

Last edited by TVPostSound; 05-18-2019 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
J_L (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 02:21 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Oh, I received an email from H&R in Germany!

The revised bushing is in production!!!

Maybe they read this post.

Meanwhile, the NM is perfect.
I found out NM use the Prothane bushing from the 19-1213 kit using their own custom aluminum billet bracket.

The following 2 users liked this post by TVPostSound:
blue al (08-10-2022), J_L (05-18-2019)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:36 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Just as an update to this old thread I am considering buying the H&R kit

how do I avoid “old new stock” is anyone aware of a change in part numbers or thickness of bushes ?

I have DDC, 17”x7.5 rims and 215/45/17 rubber

Old 08-17-2022, 11:45 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blue al

how do I avoid “old new stock” is anyone aware of a change in part numbers or thickness of bushes ?

H&R in Germany sent me new rear bushings and brackets.
In my opinion, they are too tight.
They're in the mindset that the bushings should be like the stock ones and bind to the bar.
That makes the bar way too tight.
My solution as posted above, buy the NM 25mm bushings and brackets.

BTW The front bushings are perfect.

blue al (08-17-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 11:10 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blue al

What did you end up buying?

Old 03-25-2023, 07:36 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Didn’t pull the trigger in the end
now looking at these far bigger 30 and 24 mm bars but worried this might be a world of pain if thickness was the main issue for the front H&R bars?

https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/c...0mm-heavy-duty

https://ukwhitelineperformance.com/c...ar-vehicle-kit

i have the front and rear super pro bars fitted to my Jcw r59 roadster at 26mm and 20mm although not listed as available they fit and work together well with bilstien B16 PSS10
https://www.superproeurope.com/produ...vehicleid=5622

Track times

Last edited by blue al; 03-25-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:59 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
They’re probably hollow.
30mm solid front is unthinkable!!!

Old 03-27-2023, 10:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Whiteline told me solid 30mm. Nice track shot! Nice to see a R59 used on the track.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/bmf74/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-27-2023 at 10:56 AM.
blue al (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 11:32 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
I don't think I would want to run a 30mm solid front sway bar on a street drive Mini.... Might as well do a solid axel conversion!

Old 03-27-2023, 12:35 PM
blue al
4th Gear
I’m struggling to find out the diameter or specs of the electric SE front bar would that be thicker?
just as a bench mark

Old 03-27-2023, 12:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
We have a MINI SE here, i will see if he can measure it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
blue al (03-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Suspension H&R Sway Bar Kit