Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Are front camber plates REQUIRED for coilover install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Are front camber plates REQUIRED for coilover install?

I recently purchased a set of H&R RSS coilovers for my Clubman, and I'm starting to lay out my install and collect additional parts required for the swap over.

I know I'm going to want rear camber arms, so those are part of my budget already. I'm also planning on FatCat rear bump stops, and poly upper mount bushings.

One lagging question I have relates to the front upper mount. Do I "NEED" to replace the strut mount with a camber adjustable mount, or can I just through an OEM mount in there and call it done? I know the front doesn't gain as much camber when lowering as does the rear, which is why I'm asking the question.

My goals with with the installation are for a lowered ride height, increased street handling, and daily highway travel.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
not required, but I highly recommend it. 1) You're already doing all the labor to remove and re-install the shocks. 2) with a set of camber plates you don't have to swap the top mounts over, if you were already planning to buy a new set then look at the incremental cost for camber plates. 3) You have to get an alignment afterwards no matter what so make the most of it. 4) getting to about -2 degrees front camber makes an amazing difference in handling. 5) if you don't track or autocross the car, then you can ignore everything I just said and go with the OEM top mount, pull the plastic pin, and ask the aligmnent shop to max out the front camber.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:17 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
not required, but I highly recommend it. 1) You're already doing all the labor to remove and re-install the shocks. 2) with a set of camber plates you don't have to swap the top mounts over, if you were already planning to buy a new set then look at the incremental cost for camber plates. 3) You have to get an alignment afterwards no matter what so make the most of it. 4) getting to about -2 degrees front camber makes an amazing difference in handling. 5) if you don't track or autocross the car, then you can ignore everything I just said and go with the OEM top mount, pull the plastic pin, and ask the aligmnent shop to max out the front camber.
Thanks for the feedback.

The biggest problem I'm having with adjustable strut mounts is justifying the cost. Quality aftermarket replacement mounts can be had for ~$30 each, and the least expensive adjustable mounts are ~$150 from eBay. (And who knows what kind of quality those are)

Thus my conundrum... I will be replacing the mounts regardless if I get OEM replacements or adjustable ones. I guess I just have to figure out if I want to spend the money or not...

Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
njaremka -- just posting to follow this thread.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my R55 down the road, so please keep us updated with how it goes!

Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Another option are the Ireland Engineering fixed mounts. They are factory strut mounts that are put on a plate that adds additional camber. So they maintain the factory ride quality and durabilty for about $200. They aren't adjustable like the nice ones. I put 50k on a set on my old car and have a set ready to go on my 2013. With these I was able to get about -2.0 camber in the front, and I agree with the above comment that they made a really nice difference.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Another option are the Ireland Engineering fixed mounts. They are factory strut mounts that are put on a plate that adds additional camber. So they maintain the factory ride quality and durabilty for about $200. They aren't adjustable like the nice ones. I put 50k on a set on my old car and have a set ready to go on my 2013. With these I was able to get about -2.0 camber in the front, and I agree with the above comment that they made a really nice difference.

Have fun,
Mike

The IE site states these are to be used with stock springs, which I have....wonder if they raise the ride height?