Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Which sway bar bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:20 PM
66stang21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which sway bar bushings?

My front sway bar bushings are being replaced under an extended warranty on my 2012 S. I decided to take this opportunity to put in an Eibach sway bar (yes I know it won't make a huge difference in the front) since they have to take the subframe out anyway.

In doing so, I don't know which bushings to go with. I have two sets. One is the poly set from Eibach that is not greaseable (meaning no zirk fittings or grease channels) but it has some sort of fabric molded into it where it will contact the bar. The second choice is a greaseable poly from Prothane. The Protuane is a bit stiffer than the Eibach and it's also smoother and has the grease channels.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions?

My mini is simply a weekend warrior / date night car.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2016, 02:12 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 66stang21
My front sway bar bushings are being replaced under an extended warranty on my 2012 S. I decided to take this opportunity to put in an Eibach sway bar (yes I know it won't make a huge difference in the front) since they have to take the subframe out anyway.

In doing so, I don't know which bushings to go with. I have two sets. One is the poly set from Eibach that is not greaseable (meaning no zirk fittings or grease channels) but it has some sort of fabric molded into it where it will contact the bar. The second choice is a greaseable poly from Prothane. The Protuane is a bit stiffer than the Eibach and it's also smoother and has the grease channels.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions?

My mini is simply a weekend warrior / date night car.

Thanks in advance!
I put the Eibach front and rear sway bars in my R55 and wrapped the bars with Teflon tape and used the supplied grease. Big mistake. The rear bar was okay/quiet unless it was near freezing then I'd get creaking and popping noises. I disassembled, cleaned and regreased the Eibach bushings and that solved the problem in the rear. The front bar was pretty quiet except it would creak going over speed bumps, I had it disassembled cleaned and regreased. It's a little better now but apparently had some wear. I should have installed new bushings rather than just regrease the fronts.

Don't use Teflon tape. I think that the non greasable polyurethane bushings from Eibach are fine. I've heard Way Motor Works comment that sway bar bushings typically do not need to be regreased.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Just use the bushings that came with the sway bar you'll be fine

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more