Suspension F55 Suspension Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Otisbarker
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F55 Suspension Options

This is my first time posting here. I have a 2015 F55 S (added JCW tune kit + NM power module) with normal suspension and thinking about suspension mod.

Originally I was thinking about swapping with NM springs, but after reading the threads here, I'm in favor of spring & damper matching, and adjustability, so I'm leaning towards coilovers.

I see some here have put the JCW pro suspension kit (supplied by KW) on a F55. However, I see on KW's website there are different coilover part numbers depending if it's F56 or F55. But as far as I know, only 1 part number exists for the JCW coilover.

It leads me to think that the spring rates are different for F55 due to the added weight (more for the rear?), thus different part numbers for KW coilovers.

I like the appearance of the JCW, and also seems there are matched OEM bumpstops and isolators. But the ideal of 'matching' the right part with the KW V1 also appeals to me.

Can anyone give guidance if it is better to go with the KW V1 for the F55 over JCW coilover? Or maybe if I put on JCW coilovers the different spring rate for rear(?) between F56 and F55 won't be noticeable day-to-day?

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to NAM, we'll do our best to help you out!

Here's the link for the F55:
http://new.minimania.com/part/G3NMS3...pring-Gen3-F55

You will need these as well:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G3NMS2...r-Gen3-F56-F55

Checking on the spring rates . . .

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Last edited by Mini Mania; 06-22-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
F55 Suspension

On the Gen3 MINIs, there is the stock Cooper S suspension and the Sport suspension which is about 30% stiffer. The JCW comes with the same suspension as the Cooper S Sport Suspension.

However, there is an optional dealer or port installed JCW Pro fully adjustable (height) suspension. This kit allows 10-20mm of ride height adjustment.

As for the differences:

JCW Pro
Covered by the factory warranty.
Design by MINI
Specified specifically for the F56 Hardtop
More expensive than KW

KW
Has specific solution for F55
Less expensive

Since you have a very new car still under warranty, we would recommend you wait for the JCW Pro suspension designed specifically for the F55 (unless you plan to make it a 'track car').

There is a good chance the current JCW Pro will not produce the optimum result on the F55 due to differences in the weight and balance.

The additional cost of the JCW Pro suspension can be labelled the 'premium' for the factory warranty - this is true of all MINI factory products.

If you can't wait - we would go with the KW. Hope this helps, and please let us know what you decide!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.