Suspension If you want camber plates, post in this thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 PM
marcusfva
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally Silver Project EU has developed camber plates and rear control arm for Mini Gen 3. Camber Plates are available for stock suspensions or for coilovers.
As usual, not expensive at all.

https://silverproject.eu/en/recent-products/

The following users liked this post:
RH56 (12-27-2017)
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 AM
hommeLibre
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marcusfva
Finally Silver Project EU has developed camber plates and rear control arm for Mini Gen 3. Camber Plates are available for stock suspensions or for coilovers.
As usual, not expensive at all.

https://silverproject.eu/en/recent-products/
Has anyone tried them? Is it a good product?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by hommeLibre
Has anyone tried them? Is it a good product?
- Perfect for drag, drift and track days

Great, none of these apply to me

Old 01-08-2018, 11:27 AM
hommeLibre
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
- Perfect for drag, drift and track days

Great, none of these apply to me
I hope it's a standard description) Because if not, it's a fail)

Old 01-12-2018, 04:40 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Realizing that I want camber plates too. The K-Mac looks really nice, but I don't see myself spending that kind of $$ on them. And the Project Silver looks... a bit skimpy. Besides that, it's got only a bearing, no urethane bushing... that skateboard feel isn't for me. I'd love to see something with bushings, and under the $350 mark, like exists for previous generations.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Powerflex
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vorshlag is the way to go!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:52 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerflex
Vorshlag is the way to go!
Good luck getting them to commit...I've begged so many times...they will NOT work with a car outside of their city/town as they want to physically look at the car every chance they can. I reached out to someone in the Plano,TX area who was willing to be a guinea pig but never heard back.

At this point unless we get that guinea pig, k-mac is your best bet.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM
J_L
5th Gear
What was the reaction from Ireland? I like that they use a urethane bushing. They are right in So Cal... tons of test cars available. Prices on previous models have been very good. I'm sure we could get 10 people in for a group buy to kick things off...

Old 01-15-2018, 07:54 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
i haven't reached out to them and don't know of anyone else who has. if someone has, please update this thread.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 AM
modernbeat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
... Besides that, it's got only a bearing, no urethane bushing... that skateboard feel isn't for me. I'd love to see something with bushings...
That's funny, because that's exactly what skateboard suspension is, polyurethane bushings!

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
Good luck getting them to commit...I've begged so many times...they will NOT work with a car outside of their city/town as they want to physically look at the car every chance they can. I reached out to someone in the Plano,TX area who was willing to be a guinea pig but never heard back...
Yep, we've tried that in the past and it didn't work. There are too many things to miss, too many interference issues, too many limitations that someone not familiar with all the failure modes or compromises might miss. They might say "fits great", but the next guy finds that the adjustment is limited, or the angle of adjustment is wrong, or the ride height changed.

The tester we had lined up was rear ended and his car totaled before we got to test fit the camber plates. We have not seen another F56 at the track. If you want to make a trip to Dallas, have stock suspension, and track your car, we can do the install and any custom machining during the test fit.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:32 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by modernbeat
The tester we had lined up was rear ended and his car totaled before we got to test fit the camber plates. We have not seen another F56 at the track. If you want to make a trip to Dallas, have stock suspension, and track your car, we can do the install and any custom machining during the test fit.
Jason. Hi. this is marco, the one that kept on emailing you. don't take my response the wrong way. it was more letting people know that you have your rules. dont' want someone else reaching out to you with the same "pretty please!" request.

that being said, and like i mentioned, i've reached out to a few members and noone has committed, so i may have to go look at K-Mac as a solution for the time being or permanently.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Bump for any updates...

Anyone tried Project Silver yet?

Does anyone know if the OEM upper mounts have a rubber bushing? Or just a solid bearing? Wondering if I'm being a baby trying to avoid a solid bearing mount... =P

Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BC Coilers come with adjustable front camber plates now.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
wanted to jump into this thread. after quite a few cycles, i finally got my camber plates installed. in my case, i have Bilstein PSS10's. while the lower part of the coilover is a 60mm ID perch, the upper uses the stock top mounts. this required me to get not just new camber plates, but also new coilover springs. if those with the jcw coilover kit can confirm their springs are 60MM inner diameter, this will work!

the parts i got were:
Camber Plates: AST Camber Plates
Springs: Rear 6" Swift springs
Springs: Front 6" Swift springs with Swift 4.5" helper springs

i *needed* the helper springs because with the 6" swift springs, when i jacked the car up, they were flopping around with about 2" of space. this caused the camber plate pieces to separate, which concerned me whenever i lowered the car. to those that don't know, helper springs have literally only ONE JOB; to hold up the springs/camber plates in place when the car is in the air. uncompressed the helper springs were 4.5". when compressed, they dropped down to 0.7". this meant that i had to lower my front spring perch another 0.7" to go back to my expected height. at the end, i have the coilover spring perch all the way down to the bottom and the car luckily sits at a good height.

ultimately, while i'm happy, i will say this. if given the option, i would MUCH MUCh rather buy a coilover kit that has camber plates installed. i spent quite a bit of time (and money) putting together this frankenstein kit. for the cost of the camber plates, the springs, and the headache it took to get here, it's worth to pay extra and get a kit that already includes camber plates.

Pictures: the attached pictures will show the following

1) the front bilstein setup with swift main and helper springs
2) the camber plates when installed. i ended up with -2.0 camber in the front after my alignment.
3) picture of the car as it sits today. on the bilsteins and with my spring options, this is the absolute lowest i can go. for all intents and purposes, i'm actually fine with this and quite happy.

the ride is a bit rougher than with the original bilstein springs. then again, these are swift race springs, so i'd imagine they're a bit stiffer.

fwiw, AST sells a coilover solution for the F56 and while they don't come with camber plates, you can add them and they mount right in.

P.S. if you do go this route, please make sure that the bolt you get for the camber plates matches the thread on the strut you are using. i had received M12x1.25 but my bilsteins were M12x1.5. they still owe me the nuts but i temporarily had the nuts rethreaded to match.

Attached Thumbnails If you want camber plates, post in this thread-img_20180713_170743.jpg   If you want camber plates, post in this thread-img_20180713_170735.jpg   If you want camber plates, post in this thread-img_20180718_180337.jpg  
J_L (07-19-2018)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 PM
u2asian
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
CompBrake sells these. They are well made and offer camber and caster adjustments.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
I have K-Mac Camber/Caster Plates in my 2019 Mini JCW...HUGE Difference. Have them all set around -1.7 for now...making some tires changes and will adjust to... -1.9/2.0 front and rear (NM Lower Control Arms do the trick out back)
Pic are -1.5 and -1.7 front...--1.6 and -1.7 rear with 245/45/17 RE71Rs on...gonna change to new settings after a few more adjustments.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear

Pic on 225/45/17s at -.15 and -.30 front and -2.1 both rears

mountainhorse (02-04-2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:24 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by u2asian
CompBrake sells these. They are well made and offer camber and caster adjustments.
- thanks for the info on those, they look quite solid, the price is reasonable low , will give it a try before brexit.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:34 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Darbys2019MiniJCW

Pic on 225/45/17s at -.15 and -.30 front and -2.1 both rears
I like your 245 setup, any hot picture there ? Do yo think they clear the front shocks reassonable. Does it help to pull the tire over a 7,5 ? Do you know if K-Mac offers UNI BALL bearings rear ?

Old 07-25-2019, 04:49 AM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
I like your 245 setup, any hot picture there ? Do yo think they clear the front shocks reassonable. Does it help to pull the tire over a 7,5 ? Do you know if K-Mac offers UNI BALL bearings rear ?
With the 10mm Spacer and the NM 17x7.5 wheels they clear everything mechanical. The rear Bilsteins are on spring perch and adjustments are made with the Adjustable NM Lower Control Bar. The Shocks/Struts are Bilsteins Adjustable...not K-Mac but the Plates work great with them.

Next AutoX is in Aug...then hopefully some Winning Pics!!!

Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by u2asian

Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
- thanks for the info on those, they look quite solid, the price is reasonable low , will give it a try before brexit.
Because the adjustment rotates the plate in addition to slide side to side, it looks like these trade the ability to adjust camber with the ability to adjust caster. Am I seeing that correctly? I wonder what is the max adjustments for camber and caster that these will achieve?

Also, it sounds like there are limitations within the car as to how much caster and camber that can be achieved even though the plates might go further.

I haven’t gone digging into my car, so this is based on what I have read and guessing a bit. Hopefully, when these get installed you let us know your thoughts about them.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:33 PM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Because the adjustment rotates the plate in addition to slide side to side, it looks like these trade the ability to adjust camber with the ability to adjust caster. Am I seeing that correctly? I wonder what is the max adjustments for camber and caster that these will achieve?

Also, it sounds like there are limitations within the car as to how much caster and camber that can be achieved even though the plates might go further.

I haven’t gone digging into my car, so this is based on what I have read and guessing a bit. Hopefully, when these get installed you let us know your thoughts about them.
The K-Mac ha the same trade-off between Camber and Caster...you have to give up some Caster to gain more Camber. The other limitations are the size of your springs (whether they contact the strut housing or not) and the width of the adjustable plate (might be able to remove a bit of material to gain more Camber/Caster...not sure yet)

Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Juice84
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darbys2019MiniJCW
I have K-Mac Camber/Caster Plates in my 2019 Mini JCW...HUGE Difference. Have them all set around -1.7 for now...making some tires changes and will adjust to... -1.9/2.0 front and rear (NM Lower Control Arms do the trick out back)
Pic are -1.5 and -1.7 front...--1.6 and -1.7 rear with 245/45/17 RE71Rs on...gonna change to new settings after a few more adjustments.

How do you like the exhaust noise level, drone, etc? Are the 245s pinched on the 7.5 wheel? Looking forward to hear how you do at the next autox; next time I need to replace my tires I will probably get new wheels and jumping from 205 REs to 245s would be amazing.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:36 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Uh, I've been running K-Mac since January. -2.1 on all four corners.

See here.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 02-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Maxi_z
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi

I Installed on a MINI JCW F56 some AST 5100 coilovers with their camber adjustable top mounts and some NW engineering RSe12 7.5x18 ET40 wheels with 225/40R18 Michelin pilot sport 2 tyres

I lowered the car a little and adjusted the camber at around - 2.3 degrees all around with about oem spec toe settings (toe in)

The good thing is that ast coilovers are firm and nice and that even if the front tire is only mm close to the coilover adjustment collar if the car is a little lowered the 225/40r18 almost never touch or rub anything with those wheel spec

The not so good even if expected downside is that with the different offset, changed scrub radius, and more camber the steering feel is a little worse and will want to follow the road imperfection or react to torque steer more.

I also used a bit more toe in front but that did not make things really better.

I noticed that POWERFLEX and others make MINI specific CASTER offset front lower arm bushings, and that NITRON revised their adjustable top mounts design so that when adding camber it will also increase caster.

If they bother to that for the MINI I think that for some reason or because of suspension geometry the MINI will work better with more caster.

Does anyone know if on the Mini F56 adding camber from the top mounts ( with camber adjustment normally oriented towards the inside of the car as on other cars ) would at the same time reduce caster?

For the moment I ordered and will install some POWERFLEX caster offset bushings that should add some caster and eventually I will remove some front camber.

I m also considering to change the top mounts for some that can have the caster adjusted as compbrake ones but does anyone know if they would change the height of the car compared to the ast ones?

Anyone know the usual bolt thread type for ast coilovers?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Suspension If you want camber plates, post in this thread