North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-69/)
-   -   Suspension Suspension: Stock vs. FSD vs. B4 ?? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/296794-suspension-stock-vs-fsd-vs-b4.html)

Steffen.Johnson 12-13-2015 08:14 AM

Suspension: Stock vs. FSD vs. B4 ??

I just hit 136k on the clock and I am looking into upgrading the suspension on my MINI r53 as it is starting to chatter my teeth when I hit bumps. I was wondering what everyone thinks about the three options I am considering as my daily driver. As the stock suspension is shot I am sure I will notice a large difference but was looking to see what expeience you all have with these options. Thanks in advance !?:thumbsup:

MINIAC 12-13-2015 09:09 AM

Are you running lowering springs or have plans to do so?

Steffen.Johnson 12-13-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by MINIAC (Post 4153750)
Are you running lowering springs or have plans to do so?

I plan on using stock springs with stock height. Only other thing I need are strut mounts.

newnhot 12-13-2015 09:57 AM

I put FSD on my 2006 MCS and am very happy with the ride. With the number of miles you have on the car I would recommend new springs and FSDs. I wouldn't lower it unless you plan on racing. The car is low enough as it is, and I scrape on enough things now. When you do this job I recommend new Bump stops, rubber etc in the suspension. Have you done your LCAs yet? Those make a huge difference. I did both the LCAs and FSDs at the same time.

Catch_Me 12-13-2015 10:52 AM

+1 on the FSD..... They make a huge difference over stock I am in Michigan and our roads are terrible for potholes and every other little bump at joints where they have "fixed" the roads. It was almost unbearable before put FSD's on this past fall and this summer was awesome rides way softer and handles just as tight as it did on the stock suspension. I used IE fixed camber plates with work well also with the FSD's.

rkw 12-13-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by newnhot (Post 4153770)
With the number of miles you have on the car I would recommend new springs and FSDs.

New springs are probably unnecessary.

Steffen.Johnson 12-13-2015 01:39 PM

Yea I don't think I will be needing new springs if I use the fsd. I already replaced the LCAB with powerflex. Do you all think I need the bumps tops too or is that overkill?

Madgepetto 12-13-2015 03:06 PM

By all means replace the bump stops and the bushings atop the rear shocks...they really must be shot by now and they don't cost that much.Use OEM , they are worth it.

Catch_Me 12-13-2015 04:28 PM

Use power flex bushings for the rear shock upper bushing also.

Steffen.Johnson 12-14-2015 05:03 AM

Ok will do thanks for all of your help. Still unsure if I should get Stock, FSDs, or Bilstein B4. Can anyone weigh in on this? Also what is the list of things I need to order? Struts, rear bump stops etc??

Loyal242 12-14-2015 05:59 AM

I'll be watching this thread.

I have an '05 MCS with 158k miles.
I already bought a new set of FSDs. I'm keeping the stock springs, but I sort of need a grocery list of other things I should get.

Thanks!

Catch_Me 12-14-2015 09:45 AM

If it is a DD and you want the stock ride height there is really no reason to not go with FSD's they are the most comfortable ride with no compromise in handling, and they also have a lifetime warranty.

PelicanParts.com 12-14-2015 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Loyal242 (Post 4153986)
I'll be watching this thread.

I have an '05 MCS with 158k miles.
I already bought a new set of FSDs. I'm keeping the stock springs, but I sort of need a grocery list of other things I should get.

Thanks!

This list is pulled from our suspension overhaul kit:

New Front Strut Mounts - here
New Rear Shock Mounts - here
New Bump Stops (where applicable) - here
New Rear Shock Boots (where applicable) - here
New Strut/Shock Mounting Nuts/Bolts - here x2, here x6, here x2, here x4
New Front and Rear Spring Retaining Pads - here

Let me know if you have any questions. :thumbsup:

PelicanParts.com 12-14-2015 02:16 PM

And to add to the topic of viable options, the Bilstein Touring Class struts/shocks here are a good alternative as an OEM replacement with also having a bit better handling (use with OE springs). They're also very well priced. If you want to completely overhaul your suspension while changing them out, we have kits here (stage 2 has the Touring Class struts/shocks). :)

Steffen.Johnson 12-14-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4154231)

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4154237)
And to add to the topic of viable options, the Bilstein Touring Class struts/shocks here are a good alternative as an OEM replacement with also having a bit better handling (use with OE springs). They're also very well priced. If you want to completely overhaul your suspension while changing them out, we have kits here (stage 2 has the Touring Class struts/shocks). :)

Thanks so much for all the help I will be making a list and ordering soon.

Do you think the Bilstein are better than the stock as far as comfort?

E-dot 12-14-2015 05:41 PM

Im counting my pennies for this job too.

PelicanParts.com 12-15-2015 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson (Post 4154290)
Thanks so much for all the help I will be making a list and ordering soon.

Do you think the Bilstein are better than the stock as far as comfort?

You're welcome. The Bilstein will give you a little stiffer ride than stock, but the overall comfort and feel is very nice. You'll feel a difference once you get new shocks/struts installed as you have a lot of miles on your stock suspension. Check out post #9 in this thread here. Zippy also gives some pretty good information about worn stock struts in post #5.

Steffen.Johnson 12-15-2015 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by E-dot (Post 4154307)
Im counting my pennies for this job too.

HAHA I hear that! :nod:

Pelican - Is it true the Bilstein Touring are the direct replacements for OEM? And if not why are they cheaper than the OEM??

PelicanParts.com 12-15-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson (Post 4154431)
HAHA I hear that! :nod:

Pelican - Is it true the Bilstein Touring are the direct replacements for OEM? And if not why are they cheaper than the OEM??

Yes, they're the OEM supplier part and are a direct replacement. :thumbsup:

Steffen.Johnson 12-15-2015 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4154432)
Yes, they're the OEM supplier part and are a direct replacement. :thumbsup:

Awesome I think I am just going to go with them for $$ reasons. How is the ride ??

PelicanParts.com 12-15-2015 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson (Post 4154434)
Awesome I think I am just going to go with them for $$ reasons. How is the ride ??

The Bilstein's are slightly stiffer than stock and increase your handling potential all while retaining a smooth ride. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steffen.Johnson 12-15-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4154437)
The Bilstein's are slightly stiffer than stock and increase your handling potential all while retaining a smooth ride. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks I appreciate your help :thumbsup:

Loyal242 12-24-2015 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4154231)

I placed an order today.
Thank you!

silence2-38554 12-25-2015 04:43 PM

I recently installed FSD's on our '06 R53 & B4's on our '05 R53. I can say that the FSD's are slightly better in every way (smoothness, handling, stability), but the B4's were SO much less expensive.... about 1/3 the price. Bang for the buck, the B4 wins, hands down. I should add, both cars are set up identically otherwise (LCA's, I.E. Tophats, Sway Bar bushings.)

Steffen.Johnson 12-26-2015 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by silence2-38554 (Post 4157585)
I recently installed FSD's on our '06 R53 & B4's on our '05 R53. I can say that the FSD's are slightly better in every way (smoothness, handling, stability), but the B4's were SO much less expensive.... about 1/3 the price. Bang for the buck, the B4 wins, hands down. I should add, both cars are set up identically otherwise (LCA's, I.E. Tophats, Sway Bar bushings.)

Yea it seems almost everyone is saying what you said exactly above. I plan on going with the B4, I don't think I can justify the 2/3 price difference for a little "better" strut. :thumbsup:

What did you replace along with the struts?