Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension R53 Owners: Avoid Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks

Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
maldav
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Owners: Avoid Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks

I have a 2006 MCS (R53) I purchased new. I recently modified a number of areas of the car, including the suspension (the full list of the suspension mods is at the bottom of this post). My goal was to improve performance, while maintaining streetability.

I replaced the OE struts and shocks with Koni Sport Adjustables (yellow). The fronts are fine. I went through two sets of rears due to a defect in Koni's new design for this vehicle application (I say "new" because the independent Mini service facility where I have my Mini serviced and which regularly performs suspension mods recognized the design as new; the date of the change is unknown). The rear part number is 8041 1293.

At the top of the rod is a groove that holds a 1-2 mm retainer ring. The ring comes unseated with minimal force. Once unseated, the top of the rod hits the chassis when not driving over a smooth road surface. The performance and sound are equivalent to a shock mount failure.

Koni replaced the first pair under warranty, but refused to refund the cost of shipping in either direction, even after talking to the manager of Koni's North American Automotive & Motorsport business. Further, Koni does not pay labor claims. Between the shipping charges and labor to R&R the first pair, it cost me around $200.00.

When the retainer ring became unseated on the second pair with less than 150 miles on them, I did not bother submitting another warranty claim. I removed the Konis and switched to Bilstein Sports. I have not had a problem since (I realize it is not optimum to have two different makes on the front and rear, but I chose not to spend more money at this time to swap out the fronts).

If I had known I was going to have that kind of performance and customer service experience with Koni, I would have chosen Bilsteins in the first place. I encourage readers of this post not to make the same mistake.

Koni Sport Adjustable Front Struts
Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks
H&R Sport Front and Rear Coil Springs
Ireland Engineering Front Control Arm Bushings
Dinan Strut Brace
Hotchkis Front and Rear Anti-Sway Bars
Hotchkis Adjustable Rear Control Arms
Mini OE Strut Stress Support Brace

Last edited by maldav; 03-31-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: corrected typographical error
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM
EB DOS
1st Gear
This is interesting, the yellows sell quite often and I haven't (personally) seen any other reports about this problem. Do you have any pictures of the retaining ring or the indent marks on the chassis?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
maldav
1st Gear
I do not have any photos. I did see the deformed rings and gouges in the chassis, although the sheer noise was evidence enough of the gouges. When I talked to Koni, the technical support person immediately speculated on the issue, without having seen the vehicle or shocks at that point. The repeated contact with the chassis was also enough to cause a seal failure on one of the shocks of the first pair.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Disconcerting! With two consecutive failures, it's obvious something was a)wrong with the shocks or b)how they were installed. I recently installed KONI Sports and have already run two separate DE's at VIR and CMP. As an intructor, I can assure you that the suspension has been well "exercised" and, so far, I'm pleased with the performance. Do you know the exact setting they "dialed" into the rears?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
maldav
1st Gear
The shocks were adjusted to the softest setting. I have the utmost confidence in the technician and facility that did the installations. Given the workout you described, I suspect the shocks you installed have the previous design.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
If you have retained the last pair of failed rear shocks, I'm sure we all would like to see the top of the shaft where the failure occurred. Recalling the installation from memory, the upper shock plate must be drilled out to, as I recall, 12mm so as to receive the shaft. If that hole were drilled oversize, I can see a potential for failure. I made several calls around town before finding a 12mm drill. However, if KONI has made a design change such that the shaft is one diameter without a step, just using a retaining ring or circlip, that's an entirely different matter. Then,the hole diameter in the upper shock plate becomes even more critical.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
maldav
1st Gear

Per NC TRACKRAT's request, I posted photos of the top of the rod, and the section with the retainer ring and groove.

Given the mileage at which the shocks were replaced and the hardness of the rod relative to the chassis sheet metal, there is not much deformation on the top of the rod (I got the camera as close as I could, while maintaining focus).

If any forum members are in the market for a pair of adjustable sport shocks for this application and do not share my concern, I will sell the pair I removed from the vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails R53 Owners: Avoid Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks-img_1069_sm.jpg   R53 Owners: Avoid Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks-img_1064_sm.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
That's the standard setup for the rear Koni's. I have a set that are close to 10 years old, they are the same design. You have to be careful that the spacer piece is installed correctly, it has a counterbore on one end that actually goes over the wire ring, locking the ring securely into the groove. If the spacer isn't fully seated over the wire ring, or installed upside down, it will come loose.

Jason

Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
maldav
1st Gear

I still believe both pair were installed correctly. When the second pair was installed, two techs worked on the installation. Between the two, they have about 15 years of Mini service and modification experience.

Based on jasonsmf's reply, I am wondering if it is a vehicle application issue. jasonsmf, what is the model and model year of the Mini on which you have them installed?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
06 R53 here.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 AM
06BLKchrgd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jasonsmf
06 R53 here.
Same here in So Cal 06 R53, Love my Koni Yellows

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
maldav
I think if I were you I would do a little more research to be sure that, as jasonsmf has stated, that the design has not changed. If it indeed has not then I would assume that the install was not done correctly and your installer should pony up and make you whole.
Steve

Originally Posted by maldav
I still believe both pair were installed correctly. When the second pair was installed, two techs worked on the installation. Between the two, they have about 15 years of Mini service and modification experience.

Based on jasonsmf's reply, I am wondering if it is a vehicle application issue. jasonsmf, what is the model and model year of the Mini on which you have them installed?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious if anyone has had further experience feedback with the Koni adjustables?

I am debating between Koni and Bilstein; the Koni's are far more affordable for an adjustable strut, but not if they are a POS.

This is for an 05 MCS. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Several of the NAM vendors sell Koni Yellows. If they were junk I am pretty sure they would not be selling them.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Thanks, WnW. So the OP here was probably an improper install?

Old 02-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
There is not too much out there that is always perfect. If you buy a KONI new it is guaranteed for life. The issue the OP had appeared to be that the split o-ring type clip was not installed properly.

Both Way Motors and Detroit Tuned are vendors here that also have there own repair shops. They both sell Koni Yellows, for me, that is all I need to know as both are good reputable companies.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Only thing I don’t like about Koni is that they are incredibly rust prone. If you don’t live where they salt the roads, it won’t be an issue.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:11 PM
maldav
1st Gear
To respond to mdurando's inquiry, a few points to consider.

The Koni warranty covers the Koni part, not the labor. Koni did replace one pair under warranty. When the replacement pair presented the same issue, I removed them from the vehicle and replaced them with the Bilsteins. Again, I was out-of-pocket for all of the labor.

My cordial conversations with Koni senior management were ultimately not fruitful.

WhineNotWalnuts noted two shops. The tech who performed all of the suspension work on my Mini is now a tech at one of those two shops. Interestingly, I also had a conversation with the owner of the other shop. His point of view on Koni is not different from mine.

Again, I would be hard pressed to ever put Konis on any of my vehicles again.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
OP thanks for chiming back in and Paul thanks for the Rust-info. OP, you aren't an undercover Bilstein/KYB/ST agent are you???

Which Bilsteins did you ultimately put on, and how did they compare? I am looking at the B6 series, but they aren't adjustable.

I am definitely putting them on myself - the rear looks uber-easy and the front moderately easy.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mdurando
OP thanks for chiming back in and Paul thanks for the Rust-info.
Yes, thought you were long gone as your last post was in 2016. Still have the Gen1?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
no problem with Koni Sport

I also read this thread back when I was considering Koni Yellow. I read it and re-read it. Ultimately I concluded it is not to be trusted and went ahead with the Koni. I did the install myself, and I can see in the hands of incompetent installer the problem might occur.

There are countless R52/R53 with this Koni and this is one of the very few negative threads.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I have installed more sets of Yellows than I can count and never had an issue. Also if we had done this install and it did fail as you said we would have done all the Labor for FREE as I feel that is warranty for my work. I wouldn't be afraid of Konis.

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Several of the NAM vendors sell Koni Yellows. If they were junk I am pretty sure they would not be selling them.
We do believe in the Koni product, but just because we sell it does not mean we endorse it. As there are many parts we sell because customers want them even though I wouldn't install on my own car. So we encourage customers to contact us via our website if they want a recommendation.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 AM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I also read this thread back when I was considering Koni Yellow. I read it and re-read it. Ultimately I concluded it is not to be trusted and went ahead with the Koni. I did the install myself, and I can see in the hands of incompetent installer the problem might occur.

There are countless R52/R53 with this Koni and this is one of the very few negative threads.
Thanks for the input. I have read this many times too.

When you say you can see how the installation might be problematic, what should I be looking out for? (not that I am admitting to being incompetent!)

Also, I don't really see how you can adjust the rear shocks once they are installed. Do you need to remove them to adjust?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I have the older Koni Coilovers that are basically Yellows with adjustable perches. I have no adjustment screw on the back units and yes they have to come out to adjust the dampening. The newer ones may have a screw at the top but then you would have to cut a hole into the interior so that you can access. Somebody will chime in.

The backs are set at 50%, fronts 75%.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:44 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by mdurando
Thanks for the input. I have read this many times too.

When you say you can see how the installation might be problematic, what should I be looking out for? (not that I am admitting to being incompetent!)

Also, I don't really see how you can adjust the rear shocks once they are installed. Do you need to remove them to adjust?
I have some photos here with my installation. As the Koni has beefier shaft you need to drill out the top spring perch and a washer. Just take the time to enlarge it to the exact diameter. Most home drill bit will cause a triangular instead of a round hole, so I used a file to finish it. The truth is unless one assembles the special washer that captures the stainless steel spring clip upside down or just careless in seating it, I am hard press to image how can one botch the installation, not once, but twice.

One criticism I have with Koni is the company is very stingy with fasteners. Often OEM has a locknut, but Koni give you a normal nut. I always replace the nut with a locknut. It is possible if the nut came loose overtime and cause the spring clip to unseat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension R53 Owners: Avoid Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks