Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Koni Yellow Sport Dampers with Eibach Prokit Springs. Anyone?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni Yellow Sport Dampers with Eibach Prokit Springs. Anyone?

Ok, so in my quest to find suspension that I like for daily driving, I have come across another option after doing some research. I currently have Koni Sports and I don't plan on getting rid of them. I really want the new TSW Springs, but there's no ETA on when they will come out.

So in the mean time, I have been trying to read up on what limited information there is on Eibach Pro Kits. I know they are progressive and give roughly a 1.2" drop all around after they settle, but I figure with Koni's actually raising the height by about 1/4" I'm thinking the drop may be ideal and not over the top.

I have had prokits on multiple cars in the past and they have always been one of the more mild drops (on other cars) but one of the much smoother riding springs over bumps... so this has intrigued me.

I was wondering if anyone is running this setup and what their thoughts were on it.

Side Notes, I don't want coilovers. Drop does matter to me. I know about Swift as that's what I have on there right now, and honestly they are harsh on the roads I have to drive on. Htechs don't lower enough for my taste. I was looking for used TSW V3's but no one seems to haev some that don't raise the front.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
It is a bummer that there is not something between Tein H-tech and Swift. I'm thinking more in terms of spring rate then drop, but I hear ya. The Eibachs might be worth a try....too much drop IMO but it should be okay.

We need 15 or 20mm drop front and 10 to 15mm rear drop with something like 230 lbs/in front and 245 lbs/in rear. Done. Do it Way/TSW.

- andrew

Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
See my only hope is, and I never wanted to go over a 1" drop at all, hell the 7/8" or whatever it is from the swifts is perfect for me, but with the koni's causing the slight increase, this should put the eibachs right at an inch. Slightly more then I wanted, but shouldn't bottom out with the slightly stiffer Koni's.

I'm in the same boat, if we could get a spring that provided a drop similar to swift, just slightly softer, I think it would be perfect. At this point, I know the swifts are awesome overall springs and the car is ridiculous in the corners, but I need something a little more bearable, it does feel similar to coilovers.

Unless I get some good feedback from some people who have these springs, I will probably just put my stock springs and struts back on until Way releases the new TSW's then, get those and reinstall with the Koni's.

May be my best option at this point, but if the Eibach's are worth running I also wouldn't mind doing that for a little while. Small bind really. not something I'm hugely stressed about, but just gathering opinions.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Just curious to why you would not want coilovers? After you buy springs and a decent shock/strut setup you are damn near at the price of coilovers. Not to mention coilovers will provide a better ride. The coilover spring rate is matched with the shock so it works together. The problem with lowering springs and shock/strut combos is they are NOT designed to work together. This leads to a lesser ride quality to coilovers.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheSuspensionSource
Just curious to why you would not want coilovers? After you buy springs and a decent shock/strut setup you are damn near at the price of coilovers. Not to mention coilovers will provide a better ride. The coilover spring rate is matched with the shock so it works together. The problem with lowering springs and shock/strut combos is they are NOT designed to work together. This leads to a lesser ride quality to coilovers.
I honestly have considered coilovers many time, actually ST's none the less (I actually think I PM'd you asking for a price when I found you carried them). The problem that I have with making that decision, is that in my past experiences on multiple platforms, a koni shock with a QAULITY spring has always ridden more comfortably then coilovers.

I know coilovers are ideal for their height adjustability and their complete setup vice piecing it together, but the cost of ST's is just way to much for me to pay, install them, and find out they ride as harsh, if not harsher then the current Koni Yellow/Swift setup I have. There is just no way you can apply any garauntee to them that they will ride more comfortably. If I knew anyone local with them I would try and get a ride along, but most people in my area don't seem to have coilovers, or just throw springs on stock struts.

Everything about the ST's appeals to me, but I need to soften up the ride a little and make it a little more bearable. In my area of Virginia (and I'm not exaggerating) the roads in my city (Norfolk) are god aweful. Once you get out of the area to one of the surrounding cities, they are slightly more tolerable and if I lived and worked in one of those, I would just never drive through Norfolk and keep my current setup , but I have to drive everyday in it and it's just getting to be a little much. The TSW's are still linear and they are softer then the Swift's so I am extremely confident that the ride will be more comfortable then the ST's and the fact that no one seems to want to sell their TSW's also gives me high hopes, I just can't purchase them right now, that's the problem.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
I stand behind STs for the Mini Market. If you purchase em from me and don't like em. Send em back for a full refund.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheSuspensionSource
I stand behind STs for the Mini Market. If you purchase em from me and don't like em. Send em back for a full refund.
Hmmmmmm... very interesting, and extremely helpful for a vendor to stand behind a product like that.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
It's a great product and we have enough happy Mini customers to know it works great.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experience, Koni Yellows (sport) work well with springs up to 10kg/mm. I know several people that run them with coil-over sleeves/perches who have reported great results. Yellows and lowering springs will ride better than most cheap coil-over systems since they adjust for rebound only, as opposed to other systems (or other adjustable shocks/dampers like the KYB AGX or Tokico Illumina) which adjust for damping and rebound.

I'm running Dinan's "Stage III" setup which include Koni Yellows and the car rides better with the Dinan Yellows and lowering springs than it did with the OE non-sport suspension.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:07 PM
DVUS CPRS
3rd Gear
Have you considered the NM Engineering springs? The Koni's with these springs apparently ride very well and handle great too. this is the setup I've been looking at for a while now and the testimonies seem to be proving it a great combo.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
If I had a 2nd Gen, I would have already bought the NM Springs...

Unfortunately, not available for Gen1 as far as I know.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
DVUS CPRS
3rd Gear
My fault lol. Didn't realise I was in the 1st Gen forum
Originally Posted by blue2turbo
If I had a 2nd Gen, I would have already bought the NM Springs...

Unfortunately, not available for Gen1 as far as I know.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DVUS CPRS
My fault lol. Didn't realise I was in the 1st Gen forum
no worries, you definitely had me excited for a second that maybe NM had R53 springs!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Eibach ProKit springs with Bilstein Sport shocks on my e36. I like a comfortable ride but on that car the combo is borderline too soft. The ProKit springs might be exactly what you need. Let us know what you decide.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Sagrit R53
Neutral
Koni yellows with eibach pro

So after all these years did anyone try that combo?