Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension My lifted mini is done!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 AM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes that basket ?

Originally Posted by bigfiero
Moby911 you inspired me to do this to my ride.

2" lift kit from Coopercrap.com
bassett -25 offset wheels
215/60/15 snowtrakker tires
aries pushbar
stingray lowprofile roof rack
4.5" 4X27W LED Flood Lights
4.5" 4X27W LED Spot Lights
Do you have a model number ?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
bigfiero
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sasquatch
Do you have a model number ?

Model# for what?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Moby911 you inspired me to do this to my ride. 2" lift kit from Coopercrap.com bassett -25 offset wheels 215/60/15 snowtrakker tires aries pushbar stingray lowprofile roof rack 4.5" 4X27W LED Flood Lights 4.5" 4X27W LED Spot Lights
And bigfiero, you're inspiring the hell out of me to do mine...

Questions:
Would it be possible to lift an R53 2-3" seasonally? I love the idea of having mine clear the snow better. I have to find out what the local laws are about tires outside of the wells. It looks awesome, but it can't be legal around here (Ontario). I'll need new winter rims and tires next year anyway, so that's moot.

What would be involved? I can't seem to find any R53 lift kits. What about air ride (I know nothing about suspension)? If I can install/convert the car in 6 hours I'd do it

Please help edubcate the noob

Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM
bigfiero
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
And bigfiero, you're inspiring the hell out of me to do mine...

Questions:
Would it be possible to lift an R53 2-3" seasonally? I love the idea of having mine clear the snow better. I have to find out what the local laws are about tires outside of the wells. It looks awesome, but it can't be legal around here (Ontario). I'll need new winter rims and tires next year anyway, so that's moot.

What would be involved? I can't seem to find any R53 lift kits. What about air ride (I know nothing about suspension)? If I can install/convert the car in 6 hours I'd do it

Please help edubcate the noob
I guess you could if you dont mind removing your struts seasonally.

i have not seen any for the R53 but Moby911 might be able to help you out with that.

On my R56 kit bought from Coopercrap.com.

Front: uninstall the strut as if you were going to replace them. unbolt the lower controll arm (2 bolts) not ball joint. Attach the kit to the top of the strut then place the strut back in the car and attache the top mount. putting the strut back into its lower mount (took two people) and attach the lower control arm (2 people).
the front took some work to get back in but everything mounted back up including endlinks and sway bar.

Rear: uninstall the strut as if you were going to replace them. attach the kit to the top bolt everything back up. i did this myself.

Total time 4.5 with no instructions and help from one person. used a shop with car lift/ impact wrench/ torque wrench.

another solution if you cant find a kit is something like but it only gives you 1 inch lift at best. http://shop.mr-gasket.com/suspension...ng-spacer.html. i have these installed as well and they are really easy to put in. lift car off ground install between springs.

if you want more info just let me know n i can get you some more details.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Moby911
1st Gear
Air ride was something that I had thought about but I couldn't conceive a feasible way to install a system A)While being a cheap bastard and B)without it always being a little higher than normal ride height.But that may be because I've never installed air ride before so my lack of experience in that department is why I didn't look too hard at that option.Or you could get a set of big *** air shocks like guys used to put in the back of mustangs to give a bit of rake. :P

Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM
bigfiero
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Moby911
Air ride was something that I had thought about but I couldn't conceive a feasible way to install a system A)While being a cheap bastard and B)without it always being a little higher than normal ride height.But that may be because I've never installed air ride before so my lack of experience in that department is why I didn't look too hard at that option.Or you could get a set of big *** air shocks like guys used to put in the back of mustangs to give a bit of rake. :P
there are a few air ride kits out there for the mini but like Moby911 said 3-5k thats too rich for my blood.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Moby911 you inspired me to do this to my ride. 2" lift kit from Coopercrap.com bassett -25 offset wheels 215/60/15 snowtrakker tires aries pushbar stingray lowprofile roof rack 4.5" 4X27W LED Flood Lights 4.5" 4X27W LED Spot Lights
Delightful!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 AM
jamez
5th Gear
After quite a bit of research, it appears that for a seasonal lift, airbags are not really piratical (I'm talking about resetting the base of the airbag on the threaded strut - not day to day usage). The strut has to be removed to make the major adjustment. It would be great to have the ability to slam it occasionally in the summer, but not worth the cost for my usage.

At that point, static spacers might as well be used.

Now - where can I get spacers for an R53? Coopercrap can't help at this time, unless a bunch more people show interest - and they get an R53 to work on for a few weeks.

Moby911 - how'd you make yours?

After that I have to decide what to do about the brakes/rims/tires. I'd really like to have a R56 Brembo kit installed, but with the 15" steels you guys are using, that's not going to be possible. I need to run 17" rims (unless someone can verify a 16" rim setup for the Brembo's)

Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Moby911
1st Gear
I took my own measurements and designed something based on what made sense.What I can do for you is take some measurements and make up a drawing .I'll do it in a cad program so you have an actual schematic to go off of.It'll be a lot better of a design than I originally made.Might take me a few days though, I've got a few things going on right now.

Last edited by Moby911; 01-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
jamez
5th Gear
That sounds amazing. That would be very generous of you to share with the community (or sell if you so desire).

I'm sure there's a bunch of us that would like to do a "Moby" lift

...and from this point on that shall be it's name: "Moby Lift"
- so say we all...

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried lifting mine and found my endlinks binding on the brake line mounting brake and hard lines themselves. :( needless to say I had to lower it again!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Moby911
1st Gear
How much did you lift it?Because that was one problem I never had.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I MUST DO THIS TOO!! awesome!!

My only question is, and I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet, how much MPG loss do you see?

I saw a huge hit when I did this to my F150. Went from 17 hwy to about 13. haha, around town? 14 to about 8!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Moby911
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cambo

My only question is, and I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet, how much MPG loss do you see?

I saw a huge hit when I did this to my F150. Went from 17 hwy to about 13. haha, around town? 14 to about 8!
Personally I didn't experience much of a loss if any at all.My thoughts on the subject were that on the highway the taller tires make it to where your engine is running at lower rpms at 70 mph than you would be with smaller tires.Luckily these are such ballsy little cars they can handle the extra torque needed to spin a 28" tire without breaking a sweat.I would always refer to my mini as the alpha male of minis because it was bigger than the others haha.Please join the alpha mini club dude!And pertaining to the cad drawing of the lift,I'm sorry it's taking so long I'm getting ready to move so there's a lot going on for me.I promise I will get it done.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I didn't experience much of a loss if any at all.My thoughts on the subject were that on the highway the taller tires make it to where your engine is running at lower rpms at 70 mph than you would be with smaller tires.Luckily these are such ballsy little cars they can handle the extra torque needed to spin a 28" tire without breaking a sweat.I would always refer to my mini as the alpha male of minis because it was bigger than the others haha.Please join the alpha mini club dude!And pertaining to the cad drawing of the lift,I'm sorry it's taking so long I'm getting ready to move so there's a lot going on for me.I promise I will get it done.
haha, awesome dude! you also answered my next question: Did you experience a noticeable loss in torque feel?

Again, I refer to my F150, I could definitely feel the 35", 90 lb (each wheel) mud terrains trying to roll!

I want to do the lifted mini look, I think it looks completely bad ***! A downhill mtn bike would look more appropriate atop one of these 'alpha minis' lolol

Name:  CAM00447.jpg
Views: 6238
Size:  88.5 KB

thanks for the reply!

Last edited by cambo; 01-15-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 AM
toolmonger
1st Gear
I'm getting ready to move so there's a lot going on for me.
Leaving CO?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Moby911
1st Gear
Originally Posted by toolmonger
Leaving CO?
Nope just getting out of this hell hole called walsenburg.I'm moving to colorado springs.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
toolmonger
1st Gear
Welcome. I moved out of town ten years ago, but still work in Co/Sprgs.

Will keep an eye out for you.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much did you lift it?Because that was one problem I never had.
as high as I could with my adjustable endlinks. I shrunk them as small as they would go but under hard turns the endlinks were hitting the brake line bracket and when the car was lifted off the ground you couldn't turn the steering wheel more than half a turn either way before they would hit and bind it!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM
jamez
5th Gear
I'm on my way to a Moby lifted R53.

My first step was to get some wide arches - success.
Next will be working out the Wheel and Tire selection (opinions wanted), but that should probably wait until I have the Moby lifters/plate made.

Were there any other things you guys needed to change (suspension, brake lines etc) when you lifted?

Did you both get an alignment done after the lift?

I'm probably going to have to start my own thread as to not hijack this one.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Moby911
1st Gear

Next will be working out the Wheel and Tire selection (opinions wanted), but that should probably wait until I have the Moby lifters/plate made.

Were there any other things you guys needed to change (suspension, brake lines etc) when you lifted?

Awesome I'm glad to hear there's another person lifting their mini.I adjusted my camber myself but I would probably recommend just to have it done for peace of mind.Other than that,the brake lines were fine at stock length.I'll try and work on the lift design tonight for you.

an that,

Old 01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
bigfiero
2nd Gear

I did get an alignment but it was only +- 4 on each wheel. Not too shabby

Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
bigfiero
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cambo

I went from 30 to 23. With roughly 3000 miles on it so far. But I have a rack, grill, and lights.. plus the wheels stick out as well.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
bigfiero
2nd Gear
Btw I do rub at about 3/4 of a full turn, but only because the wheels sticking out 2.5". Rubbing isn't bad enough to cut the fender and only happens when parking.

No endlink, brake line issues.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 PM
jamez
5th Gear
I did get an alignment but it was only +- 4 on each wheel. Not too shabby
4 degrees of camber? I'm guessing that's positive 4 degrees (since those lowering their rides are into -1 to -2 degrees. I would have figured we'd be in the +2 degree range with a 2-3" lift.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

This is perfectly timed as I've been researching control links. The only link I can find that allows for positive camber adjustment is the Eibach one that allows for +4 to -4 degrees of adjustment. They appear to be the best thing around, but are obviously priced that way as well:

http://performance-suspension.eibach.../pro-alignment

Quick Reply: Suspension My lifted mini is done!