Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Akebono Pads - Poor Brake Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Akebono Pads - Poor Brake Feel?

Recently replaced my rotors and brake pads. Rotors are Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors and the pads are Akebono Euro.

Initial brake feel was very poor. I have about 1000 miles on the setup, and while it has improved a little, it's still no where close to what I had before (zimmerman rotors and I think EBC pads of some kind with a lot of dust). Initial bite is still very minimal and I have to push the pedal down much further before the pads really start to grip. It takes me a little by surprise when braking...

Curious to hear if any one else has had this experience with the Akebono pads. I'm hoping they'll get better as they continue to break-in, but at this point I'm considering putting something different at least on the fronts.

Anyone else had a similar experience with these?

Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I changed over from OEM to the Akebono Euros about 30, 000 miles ago.Much like you, I was a bit disappointed at first although after a some miles and bedding in I got used to a bit different braking technique when canyon carving.

The lack of dust was a joy, but if you are going to drive with any verve, a bit more aggressive pad is going to be on your wish list.I'm searching for the perfect pads now, since I want to regain more braking authority.Nothing wrong with the Akebonos, they are just not really right for a true Miniac.

Mad Geppetto

The following users liked this post:
gknorr (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:06 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Thanks. It sounds like your experience with them has been pretty similar to mine so far.

As much I'd like less brake dust, the brake feel takes the priority for me.

It looks like Jurid is OEM for the fronts and ATE is OEM for the rears. I might just give that combo a try to get back to the regular factory feel...and live with the dust.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Try Porterfield R4-S for great brake feel and low dust. They will even do some light track duty if you go for that.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike87
Try Porterfield R4-S for great brake feel and low dust. They will even do some light track duty if you go for that.
They look good. Pricey though! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
More aggressive pads and rotors will normally need a little more heat to make them work at their best. I have PowerSlot (now StopTech) slotted rotors on the front and Brembo OEM replacement blanks on the back and Hawk HPS pads all around. Less dust and less initial bite but I have not felt any real fade even on my track days. You do need to get used to the less initial bite though. Once they get some heat in them, they have a comparable amount of bite as OEM's though still less initial bite then OEM's. When hot from track use, they bite like a rabid dog kicking in the ABS almost instantly but then again, bringing the car from 101 mph to about 35 for turn 1 at Portland International Raceway, a 90 degree right hander followed by a 135 degree left, I am going deep into the foot well.
If you are looking for OEM initial bite, you will like a less aggressive pad with the slotted and drilled rotors.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Geoff,

Weird the pads are giving you poor initial bite. I see that Akebono doesn't include any break-in procedures. How's the brake fluid? Fresh?

You have high quality rotors so perhaps use a different bed-in process like what Zeckhausen writes?

Bedding in Brakes

My son and I put Centric rotors and ceramic pads front and rear on the R53. Stops very good and very little dust. I also have those pads on the BMW E46 and the SUV and the performance on those are equally as good.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Brake fluid is fresh and I used a Motive pressure bleeder when changing it out to get any air bubbles out.

I've thought about trying a bed-in process on the rotors too.

One other issue that I recently realized that could be causing problems is this CRC Disc brake quiet that I tried on this brake job:

Amazon Amazon

I re-read the label, and noticed it specifically mentions do not use on shimmed pads...so I shouldn't have used it. Seems possible it could be causing some of the poor brake feel.

I might try scraping it off and just using plastilube on the backs...if I don't decide to try some different pads while I have calipers off...

Old 12-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Start with the bed-in first since that doesn't require you to tear into your brakes.

Unlikely a little bit of fancy goop causing your brake feel.

Something I'll be doing soon is replacing the rubber brake lines on my kid's car. How are yours doing on the car?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
I'll give the bed-in procedure a try and report back.

For the brake lines, I replaced with some stainless steel ones a few years ago. I was actually a little bothered by some of the details of the fitment that differed from the stock lines, but they work well. (For instance, they didn't have the square end on the caliper that keeps the line aligned as you tighten it down).

If I did it again, I'd probably just put new stock lines on, or the ECS tuning stainless steel lines, which have more of the details of the design similar to the stock lines.

ECSTuning (01-29-2018)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Thanks for pointing out the ECS brake lines. I have used them on a different vehicle and they are a good option.

Hope the bed-in helps with pedal feel. Only other thing I saw was the brass bushing update. Not sure how that really applies since it seems that's more for fixing uneven pad wear?

ECSTuning (01-29-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:48 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I put a set of Akebonos and Brembo rotors on all four corners with fresh fluid on my wife's Volvo C70. Like you, I am very disappointed in the feel. Based on that, I put a set of Centric rotors and Centric Posi-Quiet pads on all four corners of my BMW 330Ci. Much much better and in line with what I wanted.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinR
I put a set of Akebonos and Brembo rotors on all four corners with fresh fluid on my wife's Volvo C70. Like you, I am very disappointed in the feel. Based on that, I put a set of Centric rotors and Centric Posi-Quiet pads on all four corners of my BMW 330Ci. Much much better and in line with what I wanted.
Ceramic, Semi Metallic or the third kind they sell?

Old 12-24-2017, 02:07 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Ceramic, Semi Metallic or the third kind they sell?
Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic pads with Centric High Carbon Plain 125 series rotors.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:12 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
I ended up switching the pads out to an OEM setup. Jurids in the front and ATE in the rear. The brake feel is much, much better. By far worth any increased brake dust I'm going to get.