Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Anyone got Bilstein Shocks on their R56 yet?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Now I am not sure which I have, but I was told they were the "Bilstein sport shock" . I bought them used and they were off an autoX car so I assumed they were B8s.

The Bilstein web page, as you said, lists the B8s for lowered cars, but it also says that they are "sport tuned" whereas that was not in the description for the B6. Wonder what that means? However, they seem to be working well with the springs and I am liking them.

Sorry to here about issues with the FSDs. I have a set waiting to go in our base MINI.
Not sure what that means, but I suspect the FSD's would work fine on regular springs.

Koni did not make a distinction/recognize the fact that MINI had something called Sport Suspension for the R-56. I never remember checking if they said they would work on a JCW which must have the stiffer springs.

Since I had the Brembo BBK on the car as well the dampening was/is working harder so I wonder if that had anything to do with the FSD's not working?

The B8's work great and I will get back to Bilstien to check if for the regular SS springs that the B6 is the way to go.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:43 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took me forever to get them but I finally got B8's. I already had NM alpha springs. Stock I had sport suspension. 94K miles lowered and no leaks but the damping was definitely lighter than when new. Because I put my NM springs on basically when the car was new I knew what I was in for. Took my time and got them in. I am hearing a clunk in the front. I think I tightened everything. It is tough to torque the top nut. The top nut is just flush to the shaft. I don't think I can get it any tighter without some kind of special tool. I see most people use a socket with a vice grip. It's that tight right now so I think I am OK there. Anyone else have this problem? where else could the clunk come from? Did any one have to switch to adjustable end links to compensate for the 1" drop? Hope my links are not hitting the control arm.

Last edited by HZBJCW; 08-18-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:15 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
My B8s went in and tightened without issues. The top nut, I tightened that with an Allen wrench through the top of an old school spark plug wrench/socket. As long as the shock shaft was properly seated in the top spring hat, and that nut is still snug, and the pinch bolt at the bottom is tight, your shock is likely not the problem.

In my experience the MINI end links are a PITA to get tight enough to not clunk. And then the ball joints on them loosen up and clunk. Even if they seem to be properly tightened put a wrench on them and give them a good twist. When I chased this problem on the rear of my car that nut turned less than an eighth of a turn and the clunk was gone.

If there is wear in the end link ball, then your only option is to replace them. With 90+k on the car and being lowered, I would get a set of the Way sealed end links (which I have)

Last edited by Eddie07S; 08-19-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 08-19-2017, 06:30 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Thanks Eddie07S,

Great advice. I had a clunk in the rear (with the stock shocks) that I could not trace down. That's why I finally pulled the trigger on the Bilsteins. I went back and torqued everything with a torque wrench and that seems to have taken care of the big clunk I was experiencing yesterday. I will probably get some new endlinks. To keep the geometry the same they really should be adjustable or modify a set the same amount the car is lowered..

Old 08-20-2017, 04:29 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
My B8s went in and tightened without issues. The top nut, I tightened that with an Allen wrench through the top of an old school spark plug wrench/socket. As long as the shock shaft was properly seated in the top spring hat, and that nut is still snug, and the pinch bolt at the bottom is tight, your shock is likely not the problem.

In my experience the MINI end links are a PITA to get tight enough to not clunk. And then the ball joints on them loosen up and clunk. Even if they seem to be properly tightened put a wrench on them and give them a good twist. When I chased this problem on the rear of my car that nut turned less than an eighth of a turn and the clunk was gone.

If there is wear in the end link ball, then your only option is to replace them. With 90+k on the car and being lowered, I would get a set of the Way sealed end links (which I have)
My B8's never clunked, although I put them on at 5K miles and they now have 37K on the car. I had a lot of trouble with the Koni FSD's clunking. I tightened they every which way and bought the correct tool to do it too (spark plug wrench also works fine).

It definitely has settled into a lowered machine with the Swift SpecR springs and the B8,s but boy does it handle! Drove across the USA and back with the setup and zero complaints.

Never changed the end end links.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (02-27-2021)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I've got a set of B6's that were revalved, just getting some miles on them. Some clunks here and there. I went back and forth with springs, ended up trimming 1/2 coil off the stock spring, my car seemed happier with that spring rate than the swifts. I've got 275 lb springs in the rear, coil over sleeves and custom upper spring mounts.

I bought them used, what is the proper torque spec for the upper strut mount? I just went to the manual and used that. I was able to torque them when the car was on the ground (the shaft twisted a bit as the spring loaded, but the shaft didn't spin).

I had a Koni come loose on the upper strut and it ended up taking out the strut and upper mount (torn mount, oil leak through the adjuster). This was on my old car after about 50k miles.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Bilsteins.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 10-19-2017, 01:37 PM
John_theCapn
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So I am thinking of getting the B14 kit, but ran across this kit.
It is my understanding that they use 7kg/mm springs F&R. However, has anyone used a regular (non-beehive) spring with the B14 kit to use a standard camber plate? If so, what rate and length?

Another question, are the dampers the same from the B14 kit and the GP2 kit? If so, then the valving seems pretty lenient/adaptable going from progressive to linear. Anyone care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by HiDezClubby
I see lots of talk about pss8's or 10's and 16's. What about B14's? It's the GP setup and can be shipped for mid $900's. Thoughts, reviews?
Originally Posted by godeepwvu
I have them and love them. This is a completely different car with the B14 setup. I swear it rides better and the handling is incredible.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Did you guys use the bump stops in the rear? I have the car apart (still chasing that rear clunk) the B8 rear is overly harsh in my opinion (actually, let me rephrase, B8 rear with a 22MM RSB is overly harsh), but I am using the trimed bumpstop that NM Alpha recommends. I do not use the bumpstop in the front (it wont fit those huge tubes anyway) I am thinking I will remove the rear bumpstop and see if that works. Plan B will be to trim off another inch.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:22 PM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lacning74
i'm tempted to use em with my stock justacooper springs. nyc area roads are crazy.
I used the HD (B4) Bilstein struts with the stock S springs. The handling is just as good as the stock and the harshness when hitting expansion strips and such is greatly reduced. My wife likes the ride better and I can still handle the twisties like I used to.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:01 AM
non-s
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking to get some B4's for my R50. Hard to beat @$213 shipped. Can anyone recommend a good spring? Seems like the oem spring is good obviously but i'd like to drop the car slightly around 1" but don't want something too stiff and not matched. Anything out there? Don't think I want to cut my oem springs....

Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Having the limited suspension travel of a non-lowered MINI vs.
the even more limited suspension travel of a lowered MINI is
actually a good thing in my opinion.

930 Engineering (10-16-2021)
Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by non-s
Looking to get some B4's for my R50. Hard to beat @$213 shipped. Can anyone recommend a good spring? Seems like the oem spring is good obviously but i'd like to drop the car slightly around 1" but don't want something too stiff and not matched. Anything out there? Don't think I want to cut my oem springs....
Way Motors carries springs that will drop the car about an inch (TSW I think is one). But, I think you will find that most if not all springs are going to be stiffer than what you have now as most people are looking for the handling improvement they give. On the other hand, the Bilsteins are so much better than the stock shock that the improvement in ride they give will offset the affect of the stiffer springs.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 05-30-2018 at 06:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2018, 07:31 PM
ronweiler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bilsteins stock height handeling without the comfort sacerfise

love my bilsteinslove my steins

Old 07-22-2018, 11:21 AM
EdwardIII
1st Gear
Bilstein Review

Guys, I just put Bilstein shocks on my R53 2006 MCS as replacements. I purchased a set of four from ECS Tuning for $264. They are said to restore the original performance and they do - both good and bad characteristics. They are good for handling and cruising. They transmit bumps directly with a bang - a bit harsh. All in all great for $264 dollars.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Anybody know whos got Bilsteins IN STOCK?
I'm looking to get the B14 kit and cant find it anywhere.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Chili JCW
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
Anybody know whos got Bilsteins IN STOCK?
I'm looking to get the B14 kit and cant find it anywhere.
They seem to be back-ordered until late October or early November most places. Check out the NM Engineering B14 kit that they made with Bilstein which is the same shocks with slightly softer rear springs. I think there's a better chance those will be in stock.

I really wanted B14's but ended up ordering BC Racing from OutMotoring as I couldn't wait that long

Old 09-25-2018, 01:11 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
It's Always worth upgrading to b16 pss10

Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 AM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Where is the best place to buy the B8's rite now, found the B6's for a great deal at Turner for $587.00 for the whole set, but both my car, and my sons car are sitting on H&R's, mine on a set of street springs, his on a set of race springs. Would prefer to get the B8's.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Try Santa?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. But, I hope your search goes well. You and your son will really like the B8s.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
ordered them from Turners, they gave me a deal on 2 sets so I pulled the trigger!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Wooo Hoooo! Nice holiday present.

Are you replacing stock MINI shocks? Also, if you don’t have them already, maybe include a set of camber plates too? I highly recommend the IE fixed for a street car.

At any rate, let us know how it goes with them.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Yes, fronts and rears, adjustable Ireland camber plates, H&R springs, and 22mm rear sway bar installed, going to install 25mm front bar on my sons car as well already have it just haven't put it in yet, It looks like a pretty big job, I think I have to drop the front suspension to get the front sway bar in. Along with the already installed JCW turbo, CNT100 cell downpipe. ALTA 3" exhaust, ALTA intercooler, ALTA charge pipes, ALTA cold air intake, RPM Power tune, lightened flywheel, street clutch, Howerton Meth injection, OZ wheels, conti extreme contacts it should be ready for the track if the engine doesn't blow up, then comes the major engine build.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
You are really going to like the 25mm front swaybar. It will be well worth the effort to do the installation and will be a nice compliment to that 22mm RSB. Yes, the subframe will need to be lowered and I think there are some other steps like disconnecting the steering rack that wil need to be done. You should be able to find some good threads about doing this that will help. Again a suggestion, if it hasn’t already been done - this is the time to put in some Power Flex poly bushings in the front lower control arms. It is easiest to do when the frame has been lowered.

This is going to make for one really nice track car! It will be interesting to hear your throughts once all of this is done. However, with the power the car will have and with these suspension I think that you may be looking to upgrade the tires as the car will likely be beyond the Contis it now has.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes...

Old 12-05-2018, 09:11 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
On my 08 when I dropped the front subframe I removed the rack from the subframe rather than disconnecting the rack from the steering column. I got a bit nervous when reading about resetting the sensor on the steering wheel if there was an issue. It worked out fine, 3 bolts holding the rack in place, IIRC. I second the powerflex LCA bushings, nice improvement in feel with no additional NVH.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
does the rack have a Blind spline on the column connection?