Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Anyone got Bilstein Shocks on their R56 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Trex1200r
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if NM Springs and HD's have the same issue that I have had with the TSW springs and HD's, but the front rides higher than the rear. I have said this before as well, but if I had a redo, I would have skipped the lowering springs and just gone for the HD's for better ride quality. if lowering is your goal, spend the extra money for the sports. Why risk it? Installation isn't easy or cheap, so do it right the first time.

TREX

Old 12-24-2011, 09:17 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by scottab36
So after running with the Bilstein HDs and the summer wheels and tires back on, I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the new setup.

If you are looking for a better ride and better handling without lowering your R56 MINI, the Bilstein HDs are for you. You will not be disappointed!
Thanks for the good write up and follow up evaluation

Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM
shawnam95
1st Gear
Im installing the bilstein sports with H&R springs this weekend on my Clubman S with 27,000 miles on it. Can anyone reccomend what other peices/mods are vital for me to be using also such as bushings, links, etc. Will my camber be affected enough that i need to adjust it via control arms amber plates? any help is appreciated thanks.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 AM
shawnam95
1st Gear
Just installed the bilstein sport H&R combo and the ride is phenominal. I finally feel like im riding in a sports car, ride is firm but doesnt feel like im bouncing all over the place as with stock. the front does seem to be a little higher than the rear im hoping they will settle soon. None the less i would reccomend this to anyone that doesnt quite need the capabilities of coilovers.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shawnam95 please report back after a few months. NM's and Bilstien Sports is my goal. I am aware that HD's run higher in front but I didn't know that the sports do this too. Just curious if they settle down.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:05 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
I know this is an old thread but:

Does anyone know how much travel the Bilstein Sport for the R56 has??

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (02-27-2021)
Old 08-22-2015, 06:40 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo

I'm running their kit that comes with the Eibach springs. No idea sorry. anybody?

Old 08-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts

Kyoo - just happen to have a set waiting to go in. Figure that the travel is just a little less that 4" front and rear. This is a measure of the polished part of the stem to the top of the mounting land.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 PM
chifanpoe
1st Gear
After about 1000 miles with the B8's and NM Springs I am impressed! Well worth getting them.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM
sdides
Neutral
Originally Posted by n1tr0
I was looking through their site & they list the sport shocks for $538 shipped, but I didn't see any HD's
according to the faq the sport models are meant to work with lowering springs.
I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone running these, I'm debating between these & the Koni FSD's.
did you ever get any feedback bilsteins vs KONI fsd. I am trying to make that decision as well

Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Having run the FSDs I would say these and the Bilstein sports are aimed at different applications. The FSDs are aimed at a user wanting great road ride and good control on the road; a big step up from stock. However, I did not find them good for track or autocross. The Bilsteins are aim at the track and autocross user. The road ride will probably be stiff but well controlled (have not yet tried the set I have). The Bilsteins can be used with lowering springs whereas the FSDs can not; both can be used with stock springs. Hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:00 AM
A Brown
Neutral
I have installed the Bilstein / Eibach B12 kit on my 2012 MCS with 70k miles and can report the following:
As advertised, it does lower the height about 1 inch all around
The alignment can be corrected to original specs without any additional parts, adjustable links were not needed.
If you install them yourself, start with the rears to build confidence, you'll need it for the fronts! I didn't do this and the first front took me about 4 hours; the second about 45 mins, 30 each for the rears.
Not going to post another set of instructions, but on my car it was not necessary to disconnect the steering knuckle, just wiggle the parts around and the strut will come out, really.
Overall, a very worthwhile project and upgrade, handling is much improved, slightly stiffer than stock except on small stutter bumps, where it seems softer. The disturbing tendency of the stock suspension to skitter across these in a corner, even without the horrible OEM runflats is gone. The difference is amazing.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:33 PM
HiDezClubby
1st Gear
I see lots of talk about pss8's or 10's and 16's. What about B14's? It's the GP setup and can be shipped for mid $900's. Thoughts, reviews?

Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Bcoday
2nd Gear
I thought I read somewhere in this thread that a shorter bump stop is needed if I install a set of Bilstein 46-180469 B12 pro kit shocks, struts, and springs.

Is there a part number or a link for a shorter bump stop (strut mount) for using this kit?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:59 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Kyoo - just happen to have a set waiting to go in. Figure that the travel is just a little less that 4" front and rear. This is a measure of the polished part of the stem to the top of the mounting land.

interesting - 56mm bumpstops are ~2.2 inches, and my mini's weight is 752 & 784 in the front driver's and passenger's respectively. I don't know what the jcw spring rates are but I've got to be riding on the bumpstops no? what are you setting yours at?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
interesting - 56mm bumpstops are ~2.2 inches, and my mini's weight is 752 & 784 in the front driver's and passenger's respectively. I don't know what the jcw spring rates are but I've got to be riding on the bumpstops no? what are you setting yours at?
The B8s are an inverted design in the front with no external bumper stop. I believe they are internal. In the rear I have the stock MINI bumper stop.

My assessment of the B8s - they are fantastic

Going by memory (the MINI shocks were pretty shot when I replaced them) the B8s are about as stiff up front and a bit stiffer in the rear than MINI's optional sports suspension shocks. The huge difference is what I would call "control". The jitteriness of the MINI shocks is gone and even though they are overall stiffer the ride is hugely improved, to the point the RFTs are tolerable.

On the track, B8s are a vast improvement over the MINI sports suspension and much better than the FSDs. They are a great option if you are not looking for an adjustable shock.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:08 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
yes, they are internal so it's tough to see how much travel there is.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:16 PM
user 470223
Banned
Originally Posted by HiDezClubby
I see lots of talk about pss8's or 10's and 16's. What about B14's? It's the GP setup and can be shipped for mid $900's. Thoughts, reviews?

I have them and love them. This is a completely different car with the B14 setup. I swear it rides better and the handling is incredible.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone try using the Bilstein B4's for sport suspension?

Seems like a nice affordable compromise shock for any non-competition car. According to Tire Rack there's the stock replacement and sport replacement valved 10% stiffer than OE.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade

Seems like a nice affordable compromise shock for any non-competition car. According to Tire Rack there's the stock replacement and sport replacement valved 10% stiffer than OE.
Bilstein is the OEM supplier for our cars. So i would expect them to be the same shocks that came on the car. B4 is direct oem replacement parts. B6 and up is monotube with different valving.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:45 PM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade

I used the Bilstein B4 struts on my MCS with out sport suspension, but I got the Bilsteins that were listed for the sport suspension (different part numbers). The ride is lees harsh than the Delphi that came stock. No more crashing into expansion joints and railroad tracks fearing my car would break something. On my favorite off ramps I can still hit the same speed. The car just feels more in control. Still debating if the B6's would have been better, but I could get these sooner.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by oldtruckpainter
I used the Bilstein B4 struts on my MCS with out sport suspension, but I got the Bilsteins that were listed for the sport suspension (different part numbers). The ride is lees harsh than the Delphi that came stock. No more crashing into expansion joints and railroad tracks fearing my car would break something. On my favorite off ramps I can still hit the same speed. The car just feels more in control. Still debating if the B6's would have been better, but I could get these sooner.
I bet they are the Bilstien for the Sport Suspension, but check. I had Sport Suspension and finally gave up on Koni shocks and went to Swift Lowering Springs (Spec-R's) with Bilstien B-8's and boy of boy does it handle!! Rides great with zero complaints about ride even after 25K miles.

I am going to take my oem Sport Suspension springs and put B6's on them so I have oem ride height but with a shock that really works :-)

Old 07-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SMOG
I bet they are the Bilstien for the Sport Suspension, but check. I had Sport Suspension and finally gave up on Koni shocks and went to Swift Lowering Springs (Spec-R's) with Bilstien B-8's and boy of boy does it handle!! Rides great with zero complaints about ride even after 25K miles.

I am going to take my oem Sport Suspension springs and put B6's on them so I have oem ride height but with a shock that really works :-)
If it helps at all, I am running the Sports suspension springs with the Bilstein B8s. If I had known how much better the B8s are over the Sports suspension shocks, I would have replaced them on the day I picked up the car. They are good enough that have put the OEM Continental RFT tires back on it for DD. Overall, I would say that the B8s are well matched to the stiffness of those springs. The B8s might be a good alternative to the B6s for you, especially considering you already seem to like them. Just a thought.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
If it helps at all, I am running the Sports suspension springs with the Bilstein B8s. If I had known how much better the B8s are over the Sports suspension shocks, I would have replaced them on the day I picked up the car. They are good enough that have put the OEM Continental RFT tires back on it for DD. Overall, I would say that the B8s are well matched to the stiffness of those springs. The B8s might be a good alternative to the B6s for you, especially considering you already seem to like them. Just a thought.
When I was researching it the Bilstien folks said that the B8's were for the shorter lowering springs and the B6's were for the standard length Sport Springs and the B4's were for standard springs.

The FSD's felt good, when they worked but they failed within a month each set.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Now I am not sure which I have, but I was told they were the "Bilstein sport shock" . I bought them used and they were off an autoX car so I assumed they were B8s.

The Bilstein web page, as you said, lists the B8s for lowered cars, but it also says that they are "sport tuned" whereas that was not in the description for the B6. Wonder what that means? However, they seem to be working well with the springs and I am liking them.

Sorry to here about issues with the FSDs. I have a set waiting to go in our base MINI.

Quick Reply: Suspension Anyone got Bilstein Shocks on their R56 yet?