Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Rattle from front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle from front suspension

So, lately I've been hearing a distinct rattle from the left side of the front suspension, and I have no idea what it might be. Or, better, I have an idea but I dunno if that's possible. I was thinking maybe the wishbone bushing was shot? But I feel no difference in the car's handling and I know I should feel it if it were the bushing, right?

Also, since I had to change the clutch this summer while I was away, I was thinking if maybe the mechanic who did the job didn't tighten everything properly and something has come loose? The noise started not long after the job was done, too bad I wasn't there anymore otherwise I would have brought it back to make him check it...

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
I have to add that this sound is heard when going over bumps

Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Chase
4th Gear
I have a noise coming from my right side. and rattle noise that i assume is the psrs, but i never associated it with the clutch, flywheel, lsd swap. i wonder if it has any involvement

Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
DanSeals
3rd Gear
Does the noise go away when you press the brake pedal just enough to press the brake pads against the rotors. Sometimes pads will rattle in the caliper when going over bumps.

my 2 cents.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Is your car lowered? If so check the nut on top of the strut. I know of some that were not quite as tight as they should be and had the same symptoms you described.

Nik

Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chase
I have a noise coming from my right side. and rattle noise that i assume is the psrs, but i never associated it with the clutch, flywheel, lsd swap. i wonder if it has any involvement
Well I only associated it with the clutch replacement because it started after I did that, not immediately but soon enough to let me think the two might be related.

Originally Posted by DanSeals
Does the noise go away when you press the brake pedal just enough to press the brake pads against the rotors. Sometimes pads will rattle in the caliper when going over bumps.

my 2 cents.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that and see if that's the case

Originally Posted by xsmini
Is your car lowered? If so check the nut on top of the strut. I know of some that were not quite as tight as they should be and had the same symptoms you described.

Nik
Thanks to you too, yes, my car is lowered, I have Eibach springs and JCW shocks, but I fit them over two years ago, maybe the nut got loose? I will check that.

Reading some similar topics here I also realized I need to check the cv and ball joints to see if they are ok and the sway bar endlinks to see if they are tight, hopefully this afternoon I'll find the time to jack the car up and take a look

Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Ok, so...I didn't have a lot of time but I did take a look. The CV and ball joint seem to be ok, at least at first sight I couldn't find anything wrong with them, does anyone know what kind of tests I should do on them to see if they are still fine?

The wheel bolts are tight (just to be sure I checked them ) and the endlink seems to be tight too, shaking it I couldn't make it move at all. The top strut nut is still a suspect, I am not sure I've understood which one it is...

Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Lets see if I can explain. Ok - under the hood there are three nuts that hold the strut to the car just above each shock. Usually where a brace or stiffing plate would be attached. In the center of those three smaller nuts there is a cover (usually) covering the nut that I am talking about. This is the one I've seen loose in the past.

Poor description, but I tried

Nik

Old 09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Lets see if I can explain. Ok - under the hood there are three nuts that hold the strut to the car just above each shock. Usually where a brace or stiffing plate would be attached. In the center of those three smaller nuts there is a cover (usually) covering the nut that I am talking about. This is the one I've seen loose in the past.

Poor description, but I tried

Nik
Oh, ok then, it's the one I thought. Problem is, I have the Ireland adjustable camber plates and they sit on top of that nut, so I can't access it to check if it is tight without removing the whole shock and take the plate off. At least, that's how it seemed to be, but I'll check it more carefully.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
PinesMini
2nd Gear
any update? I have a rattle when I go over speed bumps

Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Well, my mechanic checked the car and said it was the nut on the top of the shock that was loose and he tightened it, the car was almost fine (but still with a very slight rattle in some situations) for barely a week before the noise progressively came back, so I guess either the nut is ruined, or the threads on either the camber plate or the shock are, or my mech was wrong.

So basically I still haven't solved the issue. I have a set of KW V1 and new camber plates to install and I've contacted a specialized shop for that, hopefully they will be able to solve the problem when doing this install. I will update when the job's done.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 AM
PinesMini
2nd Gear
Thanks again.. Look forward to updates..

Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 AM
cmbtmini
2nd Gear
Dude, can you keep us updated on this as some of us might eventually have the same problem as our cars get older. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
craig2009
Neutral

Nik
Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I'm experiencing something similar with the noise on bumps. Found out it was my outer ball-joint when I was putting on the snowtires today. With the car in the air, grab the tire and try to move it to the left and right to see how much play there is. Mine felt very loose and shaky, and sure enough, it's the ball joint.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Thanks for the suggestion, my mech already did that test and didn't think the ball joint was shot, I guess with it being his job he should be able to realize if it was, but I might re-do the test myself to see what I think of it, maybe try another mech...

Old 10-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Similar experience

Hey everyone, I’m having a similar experience and I’m desperate to find an answer. Dealer has had the car for three separate appointments about this and each time they think they find the culprit, the noise comes back almost immediately. They thought it was a loose clip in drivers door, then they just got done replacing the sway bar bushings. Going back tomorrow to further investigará. Any ideas? See video in thread I started for sound of noise I’m referring to. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-rattling.html